33%

Total votes: 33

Psamathe

Re: Hot Tubs,yes?no?Poll added!

Post by Psamathe »

ClappedOut wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:40am
Psamathe wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:30am
ClappedOut wrote: 25 May 2021, 12:33am

Admirable, but industry uses energy in vast amounts, people still want package holidays etc.

EV are not environmentally friendly as they use vast resources to make, novelty v old cars or hybrids.

Anyway Full EV a pipedream as grid won't support it in current state on mass
So answer is to "do nothing"? - keep wasting energy like there is no tomorrow (ensuring there will be"no tomorrow")?

Ian
There will always be tomorrow as continents became as mass extinctions happened etc, previous generations lived with vile smogs, dangerous working conditions and adulterated food.

If the house has solar then quite possibly it will offset the use, if the tariff is renewable then again it is net neutral.

The use by industry and transmission losses are huge, nuclear power stations could provide district heating and industrial heat- it’s wasted.

Nuclear dry storage casks emit 25kw heat similar to domestic heating systems which is wasted to atmosphere.

Living in a cave completely impractical and people like Greta only get air time as funded by an agenda.

Green is the new tax, another 40-50 years I will be gone, like victorians I don’t care unless it’s diesel or milk in a river- environment agency are merely tax collectors
The "no tomorrow" in this context generally refers to the future of humanity, not things like planets rotating.

It is not a question of "living in a cave" vs wasting energy without a care. Climate Change presents far far greater challenges that the times of city smogs (which didn't affect most of the world) or dangerous working conditions. And massive worldwide clutural impacts (can you imagine how the UK with its attitudes creating a "hostile environment" to immigrants will cope with mass migrations as parts of the world become uninhabitable (some in effect already are were it not for aircon).

It's strange as I have no kids so when I go that's it so why should I care but I do. But what starts to eat away at that is when other people who should appreciate better what is happening don't care and it really makes me ask myself if the human race deserves to survive or are we just a rather unintelligent species who know what to do, have the technology and resources to do it but selfishness and lack of care means we knowingly destroy the only place we have to live.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:53am
al_yrpal wrote: 25 May 2021, 10:45am
Oldjohnw wrote: 24 May 2021, 5:19pm Add chemicals . The last thing I’d want to do. A bit like chlorinated chicken.
...or chorinated swimming pools? Next time you are eating chlorinated EU fruit and veg have a think about what you are putting in your body. Doh!
The concern about harm to human health from "chlorinated chicken" isn't the consumption of chlorine, it's the association with poor hygiene standards earlier in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poultry_f ... ed_chicken
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47440562

Jonathan
I know, I can Google too. The litter in the sheds not being frequently cleared but merely overlaid with clean litter etc. Numerous salmonella mass poisoning and deaths in Scotland in recent years, to be avoided.
What can we do to reduce energy usage, first step insulate, insulate, insulate,...do we do it, no!
Our car milage is currently less than 3000 miles per annum and I am moving to a house actually on a bus route to cut car use further. First job is more loft insulation, draught exclusion and fitting thermostatic valves on all radiators. I suspect the novelty hot tub wont be in constant use...too busy digging veg patch with the aim of reducing reliance on EU chlorinated fruit and veg.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 May 2021, 5:19pm Add chemicals . The last thing I’d want to do. A bit like chlorinated chicken.
...or chorinated swimming pools? Next time you are eating chlorinated EU fruit and veg have a think about what you are putting in your body. Doh! :lol:

Al
Al - you have shown before that you don’t understand. The reason for chlorinated chicken is because of their living in their own faeces.

And I buy organic fruit and veg. Local as far as possible.
John
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 May 2021, 12:10pm
...or chorinated swimming pools? Next time you are eating chlorinated EU fruit and veg have a think about what you are putting in your body. Doh! :lol:

Al
Al - you have shown before that you don’t understand. The reason for chlorinated chicken is because of their living in their own faeces.

Seems to be a philosophical discussion guaranteed to cause disagreements
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

ClappedOut wrote: 25 May 2021, 1:45pm

Al

Nothing philosophical here. The US was chicken in chlorine because they keep hem in their own faeces. I isn’t the chlorine that is the problem: it’s the need for it which worries us. If anyone disagrees it is because they choose to ignore facts.
John
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I occasionally use the hot tub at our local pool. I don't see any point in private hot tubs. They seem wasteful, and a lot of effort for relatively little return.
Oldjohnw wrote: 25 May 2021, 2:49pm
The reason for chlorinated chicken is because of their living in their own faeces.
Nothing philosophical here. The US was chicken in chlorine because they keep hem in their own faeces. I isn’t the chlorine that is the problem: it’s the need for it which worries us. If anyone disagrees it is because they choose to ignore facts.
Going rather off topic now, but...
TBH, chicken farming practices don't differ hugely between the US and the UK, except that battery cages are banned in the UK. Enriched cages are only a little better. US farms are bigger in scale.

The biggest difference between them is that in the UK, chickens are generally vaccinated for a wide range of illnesses, not the least salmonella. In the USA, they are not. Instead, chicken products (eggs and meat) are disinfected as part of the process. It puts the costs onto the producers instead of the farmers.

If you saw the conditions that chickens in the UK lived in, you probably wouldn't want to eat them, either. Even free range--although it evokes images of happy chickens wandering around a green farm yard--is often less free than you might think.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Vorpal wrote: 25 May 2021, 3:23pm I occasionally use the hot tub at our local pool. I don't see any point in private hot tubs. They seem wasteful, and a lot of effort for relatively little return.
Oldjohnw wrote: 25 May 2021, 2:49pm

Going rather off topic now, but...
TBH, chicken farming practices don't differ hugely between the US and the UK, except that battery cages are banned in the UK. Enriched cages are only a little better. US farms are bigger in scale.

The biggest difference between them is that in the UK, chickens are generally vaccinated for a wide range of illnesses, not the least salmonella. In the USA, they are not. Instead, chicken products (eggs and meat) are disinfected as part of the process. It puts the costs onto the producers instead of the farmers.

If you saw the conditions that chickens in the UK lived in, you probably wouldn't want to eat them, either. Even free range--although it evokes images of happy chickens wandering around a green farm yard--is often less free than you might think.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/p ... re%20water. NASTY protein injected as well :lol: PCR TESTED :lol: :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:43am Numerous salmonella mass poisoning and deaths in Scotland in recent years, to be avoided.
I can remember the deaths in Lanarkshire years ago with Ecoli. Due to a rogue butcher.
I’ve missed the numerous deaths in Scotland due to salmonella. Can you enlighten me?
al_yrpal wrote: 25 May 2021, 11:43am . The litter in the sheds not being frequently cleared but merely overlaid with clean litter etc.
This has always been the practice in my experience has it always been wrong as we know what the alternative is.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, I remember a really gross TV programme some years ago revealing the Dutch practice of pumping chicken breasts with liquids to increase the weight. Presumably inline with permitted EU standards! :lol: Really distasteful to Muslims and a totally fraudulent practice too.

In Scotland there were E coli poisonings too. Cant remember any specific details though

In the UK all the litter is replaced with clean stuff after each batch of chickens is taken away to slaughter, in the US it was reported that they just cover the dirty litter with fresh stuff several times.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Not just the Dutch
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... a-long-run

Hot tub benefits, not quite as bad as some think

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 27 May 2021, 7:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There was a made in Britain TV programme showing how they're made at a British hot tub manufacturer. Interesting how they're made.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote: 27 May 2021, 6:07am https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... a-long-run

Hot tub benefits, not quite as bad as some think

Al
Or, for the sake of balance, this:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health ... tub-risks/
John
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Well that was a massive thread drift :lol: No matter,all very interesting!
The poll runs for a month but it's not looking good for Hot tubs so far.
We're off to the Caravan this weekend.I'm going to consciously take note how many units have hot tubs and if they are switched on.As it's a BH weekend I suspect the site will be pretty much full so I'm guessing plenty will be used!