How much cardio is too much?

Blondie

Re: How much cardio is too much?

Post by Blondie »

gbnz wrote: 27 May 2021, 9:21pm
Blondie wrote: 27 May 2021, 7:52am When you say heavy cardio are we talking intensity or volume? An hour every day at 70% of max HR is different from an hour every day of 90% of max HR. The former good for you, the latter not so much as it’ll lead to systemic stress and inflammation.
Perhaps, but it was very notable end of July/August last year, after four months of purely cycling and walking, that a base line of 6-8 hours a week at high heart rates over just 3-4 weeks led to a incredibly fast return to normal cardio fitness levels. But given that the hearts a muscle, it does seem logical to give it rest days after heavy cardio workouts, rather than pushing it every day :?
If you are out of shape, as you described. Then a few weeks of concentrates HIIT can give quick results. But you can’t keep doing it, and expect to improve. In fact you’ll stagnate then deteriorate. For trained athletes it won’t do all that much.

Look to limit your high intensity to no more than twice a week. Fill in the rest with low intensity volume.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

gbnz wrote: 27 May 2021, 9:18pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 27 May 2021, 9:38am
Hi,
So 85 to 95% of max heart rate, over what time five minutes five hours?
We are talking of continuous exercise not five minutes then five minutes rest et cetera.
(gbnz post)A quick 60 minutes continuous exercise @ 85% max heart,
[/quote]

so just to clarify you are averaging 85% of your maximum heart rate for the first hour?
The only way I think I could do that is possibly running (I never use the heart rate monitor when doing marathon training et cetera) or Onabike.
I have in the past averaged 85% over 2 1/2 to 3 hours (but I found that heart rate average can vary by as much as maybe 8 to 10 bpm from session to session that's a figure for the average) So same ride same time can be as low as 76%.

The first problem you will need to over come is that you have to get your heart rate up in the first place!
It takes me about 10 minutes I have done as little as 6 to get my heart rate up to 85% from scratch with no warmup whatsoever.

You say gym training?
I am interested in what type of training in the gym you're doing to achieve that 85%?
My only gym training was ever circuit training,Floor exercises pull ups situps rope climbs star jumps et cetera et cetera.
it seems or maybe I'm wrong that the only way of achieving cardio workout is to use the large leg muscles?
It's an exercise which uses those muscles continuously and rhythmically?
But I suppose it's possible that if you're built like Arnold Schwarzenegger gym work might achieve that :)

I am struggling at the moment on the bike lack of training old-age medication et cetera et cetera.
To me struggling is only averaging 70-77% over two hours 50 minutes, I said struggling as my power output and strength seem to have taken a dip for a couple of years now, but I don't regard my training as overdoing it.
So 80% average over 8 to 10 hours a week is not over doing it for me.
I suppose it's all about level of fitness, people talk about getting your heart rate up but unfortunately have to get fit 1st to be able to maintain or even get a high heart rate for more than about five minutes.

A brisk forced 5 mile walk, can achieve 65% for me, But that's my limit.
I find as I'm getting older it's difficult to maintain fitness, and then there is that old chestnut Use it or lose it :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Sorry, can't answer properly as the ctc website doesn't seem to be working properly again. It's taking several minutes to open a post, with google logging out, saying that the "ctc forum" isn't responding or something similar (Nb. Not having problems on any other websites)

In respect to hitting 85% max heart, it's simple. You workout at a high intensity and high speed, makes it easier if you're using larger muscle groups. But you don't achieve a cardio workout by doing sit ups :roll: . Use a cross trainer, rowing machine, bike.

It's rather like popping over to the Lakes on the bike. If I pop over there, 110 miles with a considerable climb over the Pennines, have a run up Scafell Pike, then head back home the next morning, 110 miles, followed by an hour in the pool before heading to bed, I'll have had quite a decent workout. Or that time I popped over to Italy, having landed at Heathrow, realized I had time prior to heading back up to Newcastle (Nb. It took more than a dar or two :wink: )
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 May 2021, 9:53am

A brisk forced 5 mile walk, can achieve 65% for me, But that's my limit.
And I wouldn't ever do a walk to have a cardio workout. I'll head down to the beach after dinner, 4.5 miles there, 4.5 miles back or have a look up the moor, several miles. But wouldn't ever think of it being exercise .

Anyway, had my 76 minutes at 85-90% max heart rate at the gym this morn ing, followed by an hour on upper body weights. Washing machine will have finished in a minute, so time to head out on the bike. 70-80 miles, if it's going to stay dry
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Big long box and black cars? Touch to much. Other wise keep at. You will know if it is too much. Stuff the naysayers.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

How much is too much? The amount that leaves you feeling constantly tired and jaded.
Last edited by David2504 on 11 Jun 2021, 9:03am, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mattsccm wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 9:22pm Big long box and black cars? Touch to much. Other wise keep at. You will know if it is too much. Stuff the naysayers.2
Well, felt the benefits of 48 No., flat out, post lockdown, cardio sessions today :D (And 120kg leg weight sessions)

It was the REST DAY (Taking two days in ten off heavy exercise). But definately had the post lockdown legs back, I'd literally forgotten what it's like :D . The initial 20 miles straight over the moor, directly into a strong head wind, avg speed a good 4mph faster than the past several months. Even coming to an end at 55 miles, the average speed was still at that 4mph faster than my recent norms.

Had forgotten what high speed, going for it cycling feels like. Felt incredible :D

Anyway, back to heavy exercise tomorrow