Sprained Ankle Grrrrrrr

NATURAL ANKLING

Sprained Ankle Grrrrrrr

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've been going out walking in the evening normally in the dark.
Don't see anybody out and it's cooler, the only hazard of courses in the dark have to be very careful where you're putting your feet.
I have over flexible ankles so I do daily exercises for them.
My route there is a path around a ploughed field, the plough has dug in on the corner and has raised the Earth on the path.
I'm very conscious of this some careful work at my feet.
Been okay considering 99% has been done in pitch black with a head torch.
Sainsbury's delivery tonight so I thought I better go out in the daytime.
There you go, right on the awkward bit on the corner of the field where the Earth is being raised by the plough shears,
Sat on the ground waited for a while then managed to put weight on it, did not hurt, but I can feel it a bit on the way home, being extra careful I don't roll it again.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Colin63

Re: Sprained Ankle Grrrrrrr

Post by Colin63 »

Unlucky.
I hope that you heal quickly.
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

I'm the same, overly flexible feet and ankles, means I roll them more frequently but do less damage, and I'm trying to strengthen them. Anyhow I went trail running with my dog and a group of people a couple of weeks ago, new shoes, different (bigger) stack height, fell twice. The second time I fell I heard a snap and thought 'oh carp', but it didn't hurt that much. I was helped up, it was a stick that I'd stepped on and I was so relieved. Ran/walked the rest of the run and it's taken a week or so to recover but I was out for a short run last night and no major damage. Didn't affect cycling at all.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Not much swelling if any visible.
A bit stiff and a bit painful, and weight bearing up okay.
I sprained my ankles many times in my life and it wasn't till about 20 years go a chiropodist diagnosed over flexible ankles.
I do daily exercises on a wobble board, and isometric exercises on a step.
Consequently, the last time I sprained my ankle but it was probably more than five years ago it might of even been 10 years ago.
Without the exercises which I do daily I know that I will just carry on spraining my ankles.
Like just walking along the pavement and walking off the curb can normally do it, but that was before I started doing the daily exercises.
I suggest if you have the same problem that you go looking for ankle strengthening exercises, Physiotherapy works just doing exercise i find doesn't!

Think it's very possible last night that despite doing a course which I knew very well and in the dark, I got a bit complacent about where I was putting my feet in Daylight.
Normally all I have is a head torch and I have to place my feet exact, and I concentrate on this.
In the daylight I was probably looking further ahead I'm not paying attention when my feet are actually going.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can see how an ankle injury must be quite distressing for a cyclist - out of nowhere I have some sort of problem affecting my left shoulder which results in a nasty gritty discomfort under certain circumstances - however, when I'm out on my bike it's not a problem at all - phew!
Get Well Soon :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Cycling I find it easiest when I've got an ankle problem.
As opposed to walking and running of course.
When I'm on the turbo I get a pain near my heart but only ever get it on the turbo I think that's just an old war wound :)
On the road I don't get it at all, but I do get an electric shock through my neck at least once during the day ride, then I don't get it at all for the rest of the day, that's my permanently dislocated collarbone of course.
The Sun is shining to of course, summer weather for the next week.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hope your ankle is ok, it's always the obvious silliest incidents when we lower our guard that often cause injury, spent the cold days of January lockdown painting and decorating, up step ladders etc., then in March walking down the stairs I slipped and broke a leg.... when in A&E most of the injuries were via the silliest of moments, inc 1 lady who turned around in her garden and fell over her dog...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Been out for a walk today as it's not painful to walk around the house and stand on.
Managed 4 miles in an hour and 20 minutes, reduce pace due to my partner being with me ha ha.
No pain at all I was careful.
I might try a cycle ride tomorrow.
I think possibly the reason why it's not so bad as it might be it's because I've been keeping up the exercises and I've done them today without much trouble.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Might I recommend the sensible approach? Ignore it and ride your bike. At worst it won't get worse and it will probably help.
If your leg falls off , tough :) that other chap told you.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
So out on the bike last night just over 2 1/2 hours, ankle no problem whatsoever my other ankle Had a slight ache.
But not surprising as that's that one I sprained really badly 40 years ago, and it's felt under high stress normally.
I like to keep up the walking and the treadmill because I think that loadbearing is a good idea as you get older.

Good ride for me last night though I'm not on top form, averaging 80% of my max heart rate for 2 1/2 hours at +60 years old is as good as it gets really isn't it.