Dieting ...

rmurphy195

Dieting ...

Post by rmurphy195 »

A couple of simple rules that worked for me to lose weight
  • 1) Veg from above ground, not below ground, and green not white

2) Bread etc - avoid white, and have 1 less slice.

3) Snacks - just stop 😉

4) No puddings, stop having sugar in your tea/coffee (taste the drink instead!) and of course your cereal

4) Eat nowt after 7pm

5) If you go to a tea shop - have cake by all means, but request 1 slice of cake and 2 plates and share with your partner!
Addendum - just seen "Govners" large portions post ... and

6) No more than 3 or 4 pieces of potato with your dinner, and small one at that!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Grumpy-Grandad

Re: Dieting ...

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I have a couple of friends who are fitness trainers and after years of doing that job and seeing many fat people their conclusion is simple:

1. Eat less.
2. Exercise more.
3. Diets do not work in the long term.
Steve
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have a motto that I like to repeat, which is "Just a moment on the lips - then it's gone forever...!" Still pretty much the same size & weight I was aged 25. Funny stuff, the old metabolics.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Sorry, folks but GG has it right!
Tim
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 12:09pm I have a couple of friends who are fitness trainers and after years of doing that job and seeing many fat people their conclusion is simple:

1. Eat less.
2. Exercise more.
3. Diets do not work in the long term.
Absolutely spot on.

Anyone listen to The Life Scientific on R4 a few weeks ago?
Very enlightening to some folks, but only told me what I already knew.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

proper food I eat as much as I want and don't count

For all the bad stuff - Beer, Biscuits, Puddings, Chocolate.- I purchase these out of my cycling calories, I estimate what I burn whilst cycling and try and balance this with the stuff I shouldn't be eating and drinking.

For Instance last week cycling accounted for 5,950 kCals
Beer added up to 2221 and Puddings & Biscuits 3820
which left me 91kCals in debt that is transferred over to this week.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 12:09pm
1. Eat less.
2. Exercise more.
True, but it'll take another 2-3 months of heavy gym workouts to overcome HM Gvt's lockdowns. I'm no heavier, but the loss of 10-12 hours intense exercise a week for much of the past 15 months has resulted in my being much fatter. It'll take months of heavy work to overcome

And Covid? Only met one person who knew he'd had it, though he only found out by chance (Nb. He wasn't aware of it, though the closure of the gym will take months to overcome)
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Even in the most restrictive first lockdown exercise was always allowed and encouraged
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Blondie wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 6:48pm Even in the most restrictive first lockdown exercise was always allowed and encouraged
Perhaps. But it's hard to replicate a heavy workout without a gym, pool, or as my 79 year old mother found, unable to access the munros she normally walks/runs (Nb. Highest local hill is only 2000' and it's a bit flat)
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Diets are a nice idea, but it's similar to being on the dole or camping- novelty wears off.

All the sweets and treats etc here have gone, ate 3 apples and haven't had a red bull for a week.

Also most of our family got to about 70 and pegged it. On mother's side 90 and eating all manner of food.

So yes healthy living is better, but genetics as well.

Also tasty food as we tried this Quorn and ended up down the chip shop as Quorn in lasagne to us was vile.

But we are trying and some fruit ok, apples , easy peelers and blueberries.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Govnor wrote:Diets are a nice idea, but it's similar to being on the dole or camping- novelty wears off.
So true, any changes should be enjoyable and sustainable, then they’ll be easy to sustain.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rmurphy195 wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 8:52am A couple of simple rules that worked for me to lose weight
  • 1) Veg from above ground, not below ground, and green not white

2) Bread etc - avoid white, and have 1 less slice.

3) Snacks - just stop 😉

4) No puddings, stop having sugar in your tea/coffee (taste the drink instead!) and of course your cereal

4) Eat nowt after 7pm

5) If you go to a tea shop - have cake by all means, but request 1 slice of cake and 2 plates and share with your partner!
Addendum - just seen "Govners" large portions post ... and

6) No more than 3 or 4 pieces of potato with your dinner, and small one at that!
you need to slim your rules - that's way more than two.
Sweep
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

The biggest problems we have is most of the suggestions we have tried are like eating straw.

Now we are unlikely to ever stop eating meat, that doesn't mean we are not willing to try them as a side dish.

Had some curried chickpea's wasn't bad, wouldn't want a meal of it-but a spoon on one jacket was passable.

Doris came back with slimming world recipes & let's be honest- they are like prison food.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Govnor wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 7:45pm The biggest problems we have is most of the suggestions we have tried are like eating straw.

Now we are unlikely to ever stop eating meat, that doesn't mean we are not willing to try them as a side dish.

Had some curried chickpea's wasn't bad, wouldn't want a meal of it-but a spoon on one jacket was passable.

Doris came back with slimming world recipes & let's be honest- they are like prison food.
We will probably all need to cut down on meat even if you don't stop, Good Vegan/vegetarian food shouldn't be a side dish to a lump of dead flesh. we try and eat meat and dairy free a couple of days a week , and now as a family have a few main meals where there is no meat or dairy and we tend to get clean plates from the family, on these days.

The latest Hairy Bikers vegetarian cook book has some great recipes if you are looking for inspiration.
NUKe

Post by Blondie »

gbnz wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 9:33pm
Blondie wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 6:48pm Even in the most restrictive first lockdown exercise was always allowed and encouraged
Perhaps. But it's hard to replicate a heavy workout without a gym, pool, or as my 79 year old mother found, unable to access the munros she normally walks/runs (Nb. Highest local hill is only 2000' and it's a bit flat)
Heavy aerobic workouts can be replicated anywhere. Not so much strength workouts.