Dieting ...

rmurphy195

Re: Dieting ...

Post by rmurphy195 »

Sweep wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 6:35pm
rmurphy195 wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 8:52am A couple of simple rules that worked for me to lose weight
  • 1) Veg from above ground, not below ground, and green not white

2) Bread etc - avoid white, and have 1 less slice.

3) Snacks - just stop 😉

4) No puddings, stop having sugar in your tea/coffee (taste the drink instead!) and of course your cereal

4) Eat nowt after 7pm

5) If you go to a tea shop - have cake by all means, but request 1 slice of cake and 2 plates and share with your partner!
Addendum - just seen "Govners" large portions post ... and

6) No more than 3 or 4 pieces of potato with your dinner, and small one at that!
you need to slim your rules - that's way more than two.
More than 6 as well!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Blondie wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 5:11pm
gbnz wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 9:33pm
Blondie wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 6:48pm Even in the most restrictive first lockdown exercise was always allowed and encouraged
Perhaps. But it's hard to replicate a heavy workout without a gym, pool, or as my 79 year old mother found, unable to access the munros she normally walks/runs (Nb. Highest local hill is only 2000' and it's a bit flat)
Heavy aerobic workouts can be replicated anywhere.
I'd disagree. I found even a 6 mile relaxed daily run last April-May was too much for my knees. Even though the pace was well below that required to produce a 85-95% max heart workout. And no rower, X trainer, an average 25-35mph on the bike for an hour on end would be beyond me
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

NUKe wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:57am
Govnor wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 7:45pm The biggest problems we have is most of the suggestions we have tried are like eating straw.

Now we are unlikely to ever stop eating meat, that doesn't mean we are not willing to try them as a side dish.

Had some curried chickpea's wasn't bad, wouldn't want a meal of it-but a spoon on one jacket was passable.

Doris came back with slimming world recipes & let's be honest- they are like prison food.
We will probably all need to cut down on meat even if you don't stop, Good Vegan/vegetarian food shouldn't be a side dish to a lump of dead flesh. we try and eat meat and dairy free a couple of days a week , and now as a family have a few main meals where there is no meat or dairy and we tend to get clean plates from the family, on these days.

The latest Hairy Bikers vegetarian cook book has some great recipes if you are looking for inspiration.
Poaching used to be big, road kill is still a thing with pheasants etc after hanging them.
Or we quite like the venison option occasionally.

Hairy Bikers? Seems familiar as two blokes on motorcycles years ago, worth a look I guess.

Open to trying different food.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Well tonight's delight is grilled chicken breast with some pesto rabbit food and toasted croutons and sauce. Ceasar Salad?

Thankfully it's fillet steak and chips tomorrow or Chinese as a treat.

Then back to prison food.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

I have found that the Pinch of Nom books have some excellent recipes in and they are all healthy
Ive combined them with cutting down on the ale and at least one minimum 10 mile ride a week and have lost over half a stone in 6 weeks
They are usually on offer in the supermarkets at half price

They are not the be all and end all but are a good way to eat healthy tasty
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I just ditched the Carbs (less than 25g a day), eat way more fat (80% or less) and keep the protein (meat fish at around 10%)

Keto Life style change, which I started a bit ago ... now feeling human again.

dont eat at all while out on full day rides, if I need a boost have a teaspoon of MCT oil... always have an emergency protien bar in case a I blow out on a ride..
This has turned my life around...

The change took some adapting too, was'nt no easy fix. I persevered ! this was worth the effort to me...

Maybe not for everyone
Pete... I think
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Yep fasted riding, some of us have been doing it for many years. Get the pace right it's no problem at all and has many health (and training) benefits when done correctly. People forget we store up to two hours worth of glycogen for moderate cycling at a moderate pace.
Of course you need to fuel for hard riding or intensive training, but a couple of fasted rides a week can do your system a lot of good and promote fat use as fuel.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Smaller plates! A very simple trick for those with portion control issues.

Personally I've gone from someone who needed to eat for four just to get by to someone who sometimes needs very little at all. Eggs on crumpets could be the main meal of the day with mushrooms whereas my older me used 200g dry weight of pasta or rice with an equivalent qty of sauce. Sometimes followed by a second dinner at about 10pm. I needed that to stop getting migraines caused by lack of fuel. I was also bmi 18-20.

Once got up to 15.5 stone. Sick of the family telling me I was getting to that age where I'd need to watch my weight. I was back to my 13.5 stone weight in two weeks with very little effort just cut back a few packs of crisps, chocolate bars etc in the afternoon. Still had about 3 walkers a day and two chocolate bars, plus the 200g of pasta/ rice. I tend to stick at 87kg now for 20+years. I sat on some table scales used for up to 500kg at work. They read 97kg but I knew they were out by the fact I'm 87kg in weight. Checked at doctors, never changes.

I can't really help with diet because my brain works differently regarding food. Can only eat when I need it not when I want it. Its some kind of hyper self regulation I reckon. In my mind weight control is as much about self control around food. Often your have it or you don't. Of course within that the outliers who eat like a horse every meal but are skinny as a rake or the overweight person who literally eats less than a butterfly but still can't shift weight.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Different approaches work better/worse for different folks, so can be just a case of finding one that fits one's personal lifestyle. I think the main thing is a consistent system that you are okay to keep up with long term.

Mine is: weigh self in work clothes in the morning after the loo and before breakfast, if > 70 Kg, no snacks allowed unless on an expedition of some description.

Works for me, doesn't work for other folk I know. Also relies on my 3 meals a day being not quite enough to maintain weight, and otherwise be generally good for me. I've been doing it for years and while I occasionally let it go (usually stressful periods, worst case has been 75 Kg) I can re-apply it and get back to 70 again. This also accounts for the fact that I'm a grazer and my snack intake isn't related to hunger, just liking food.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

My bmi dropping into the danger zone having being told not eat the porridge, pasta, wheat, beans and pulses and dairy products that I have relied on for last 15 years or so to stay at 19-20.
So presumably if heavier folk drop those they will lose weight!
I shall probably die of malnutrition as they try to save me from prostate cancer. At least the coffin will be small and light....
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

djnotts wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 9:50pm My bmi dropping into the danger zone having being told not eat the porridge, pasta, wheat, beans and pulses and dairy products that I have relied on for last 15 years or so to stay at 19-20.
So presumably if heavier folk drop those they will lose weight!
I shall probably die of malnutrition as they try to save me from prostate cancer. At least the coffin will be small and light....
Ignore the b.........I can't imagine a healthier diet than that based on the above. At 49 exceptionally fit & healthy, I'd be dead if I'd complied with NHS requirements in 2019. Hope the cancer isn't painful.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

gbnz wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 9:33pm
Blondie wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 6:48pm Even in the most restrictive first lockdown exercise was always allowed and encouraged
Perhaps. But it's hard to replicate a heavy workout without a gym, pool, or as my 79 year old mother found, unable to access the munros she normally walks/runs (Nb. Highest local hill is only 2000' and it's a bit flat)
Not really, people have been doing “heavy” workouts outdoors from long before Johnny come lately gyms turned up.