Dairy Proteins?

Jdsk

Re: Dairy Proteins?

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 3:23pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 12:57pm The shape of teeth, jaws etc was driven by historical environments and biological constraints. There's no reason to think that it can be used to define optimal diet.

PS: And might have changed surprisingly recently... the overbite hypothesis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overbite# ... _dentition
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... v3218.full
And by the same measure " of dietary constraints" makes us what we are therefore our ideal diet maybe what we've been eating for millennia.
There is no reason to believe that it is. "Millennia" would include before and after domestication of animals, before and after agriculture and settlement, before and after extensive use of cooking, the enormous variation in consumption of seafood in historical human diets, before and after lactase persistence, and most people around the world didn't have access to many common foodstuffs until after 1492.

There isn't a single historical diet.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 3:23pm Reading "The Diet Myth " by Tim Spector which talks about gut health balance.

His argument is that each individual has a slightly different balance of foods that is ideal. The only supplementary vitamin he says makes any difference is vitamin D -- all the rest aren't making a bean of difference to your health unless there's something like v b12 efficiency syndrome going on or the like.

Don't know how serious to take him though -- still evaluating.
Spector is an excellent scientist and communicator. The significance of that variation and other aspects of the gut biome isn't anywhere near clear but it's going to be important. And the connection to the effects of processed food might be the first big area.

I was impressed when I first saw Mosley on television. But his recent short pieces lost that crucial element of including the level of evidence.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 3:23pmThe only supplementary vitamin he says makes any difference is vitamin D -- all the rest aren't making a bean of difference to your health unless there's something like v b12 efficiency syndrome going on or the like.
For most adult men that's about right for micronutrients.

It's quite different for menstruating women (iron) and before and soon after conception (folate).

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins- ... vitamin-d/

Jonathan
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 11:52am
Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 10:12am Since I've changed to lactose free milk I've notice a definite improvement in my 'toilet' ...... I haven't been tested or diagnosed for lactose intelligence but thought I'd try the milk anyway ..... it worked (and it tastes like another other cows milk)
I'm guessing intolerance.

; - )

Jonathan
You guessed correctly ..... my typo :lol:
Steve
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

David2504 wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 7:36pm Just eat a balanced diet. Not too much, Not too little
That certainly seems the best approach together with regular exercise :D
Steve
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 12:10pm
David2504 wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 7:36pm Just eat a balanced diet. Not too much, Not too little
That certainly seems the best approach together with regular exercise
Plus micronutrient supplementation as above.

But I never know what others mean by "balanced"...

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 12:13pm

But I never know what others mean by "balanced"...

Jonathan
A pound of this and a pound of that! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 11:57am
Is there a particular micronutrient about which you're concerned?

Jonathan
Thanks, it's simply that I'd normally eat a fairly varied diet as a matter of routine. And obtaining the majority of one's protein/essential amino acids from one source is something to be avoided as a basic principle. Though cash constraints and lockdown recovery do necessitate the use of cheaper proteins. And Low Fat/Greek Yoghurt is currently available at a fifth of the cost of generally available "low cost" proteins, whilst having the benefit of not being a food I like and requiring no preparation.

Anyway, the benefits of 15-20 Hours a week at the gym post lockdown and a high protein intake for several weeks are now apparent :wink: . God, it feels great to be able to cycle and run up mountains again at speed :D (Nb. Feels incredible to do 40 miles into a strong head wind across the moors and literally not notice it :D . God it feels like cycling again, for the first time in 16 months)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

And as a postscript. I'm fully aware that a wide range of proteins (lentils, beans) will be missing essential amino acids and won't be as effective as something like meat or fish. But had always ignored this fact, assuming that a measured intake of a wide range of protein sources, would compensate for the lack of essential amino acids in some.

But? In my recovery from lockdown, muscle growth primarily using dairy proteins containing essential amino acids has been incredible. My mileage on the road is a fraction of that when I was 30 (Nb. Now 49). Rather than a quick 20 miles at an average 20mph 5 days a week, with a 80-100 mile ride at the weekend, it's literally been no more than 79 miles weekly at an average 12.6-13.3mph :oops:. But the difference on the road within six weeks has been astonishing, avg. speed increasing by 3-4 mph within 4 weeks. Despite the fact that I haven't cycled for speed since 2012 and haven't at any stage "pushed" for speed.

Makes a difference when coming down off the moor at 21.40, hitting 38*mph as passing through town. On a Spa Tourer :roll: (* It is downhill)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd be very wary of attributing that improvement to removal of a deficiency of essential amino acids without a lot more evidence.

Jonathan
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 10:01am I'd be very wary of attributing that improvement to removal of a deficiency of essential amino acids without a lot more evidence.

Jonathan
Hmm.......given my approach of collating data, the only factor that has changed has been the consumption of essential amino acids. Quite why there should an exponential* increase in muscle matter over a 40 day period, at a greater speed than at any other stage since March 2002, is otherwise difficult to explain (Nb. Now one of the UK's most highly used words)