Dairy Proteins?

gbnz

Dairy Proteins?

Post by gbnz »

Are too many dairy proteins a bad thing? I'd presume that any "monocultural" diet is a "bad thing, limiting the supply of various micro nutrients etc. And one always see lactose intolerance being referred to in the press in respect to dairy.

It's simply that returning to an athletic shape post covid, has required a high protein intake. And whilst I cannot stand Yoghurt, Fat Free Greek Yogurt is actually an incredibly cheap, well rounded protein product, providing loads of protein at a fifth of the price of many cheap fish/meat/vegan products available locally.

So how much Yoghurt is too much! Only been on a kilo a day during June
Cowsham

Re: Dairy Proteins?

Post by Cowsham »

No member of the animal kingdom nurses past maturity.

We are the only ones that drink milk and not even our own. I saw a sketch on horrible histories my young boy was watching and it said the first people who started drinking cows were violently sick until their stomachs got used to it. Don't know how true that is.

I find I've less stomach and breathing problems without it. I try not to eat too much bread either.
I am here. Where are you?
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

200g of fat free Greek yoghurt with a scoop of flavoured Whey isolated makes a great post ride snack or pudding. Spend a minute or so to mix the whey isolate with the yoghurt and then put in the fridge for a couple of hours before eating.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The protein in your yoghurt has been pre digested by the bacteria.
I make my own, around 2 litres a week, and always advocate eating a live yoghurt. I’m a bit wary of these commercial yoghurts. No fat and set? How do they do that, what do they add?
Greek Yoghurt means it has had the whey sieved off.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Since I've changed to lactose free milk I've notice a definite improvement in my 'toilet' ...... I haven't been tested or diagnosed for lactose intelligence but thought I'd try the milk anyway ..... it worked (and it tastes like another other cows milk) :D
Steve
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 9:37amWe are the only ones that drink milk and not even our own. I saw a sketch on horrible histories my young boy was watching and it said the first people who started drinking cows were violently sick until their stomachs got used to it. Don't know how true that is.
The fascinating history of lactase persistence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grumpy-Grandad wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 10:12am Since I've changed to lactose free milk I've notice a definite improvement in my 'toilet' ...... I haven't been tested or diagnosed for lactose intelligence but thought I'd try the milk anyway ..... it worked (and it tastes like another other cows milk)
I'm guessing intolerance.

; - )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 9:25am Are too many dairy proteins a bad thing? I'd presume that any "monocultural" diet is a "bad thing, limiting the supply of various micro nutrients etc. And one always see lactose intolerance being referred to in the press in respect to dairy.

It's simply that returning to an athletic shape post covid, has required a high protein intake. And whilst I cannot stand Yoghurt, Fat Free Greek Yogurt is actually an incredibly cheap, well rounded protein product, providing loads of protein at a fifth of the price of many cheap fish/meat/vegan products available locally.

So how much Yoghurt is too much! Only been on a kilo a day during June
It's hard to give advice in this forum because there's some pretty extreme behaviour.

There are some medical conditions in which what follows should be ignored.

In general eating a lot of protein won't do harm except by leading to eating too much overall, eating too much of other constituents because of the particular foodstuff eg salt or animal fats, and wasting money.

Is there a particular micronutrient about which you're concerned?

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I always seem to come back to the shape of each animals teeth governing what is best for that animal to eat. Eg a cat has big sharp incisors and mostly eats meat. ( although one of my cats will have a go at anything I'll swear he thinks he's a dog )

We have very small incisors and most teeth suit eating mainly veg but with a little meat -- the more time goes on it seems the scientists and dieticians are pointing to this type of diet.

Variety, but in certain proportions of food groups. ie not loads of meat according to the shape of our teeth.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The shape of teeth, jaws etc was driven by historical environments and biological constraints. There's no reason to think that it can be used to define optimal diet.

Jonathan

PS: And might have changed surprisingly recently... the overbite hypothesis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overbite# ... _dentition
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... v3218.full
rjb

Post by rjb »

Has anyone here tried to cultivate Kefir. Some people swear by it, heres Doc Mosely talking it up on the Beeb,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000v3g2
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 12:57pm The shape of teeth, jaws etc was driven by historical environments and biological constraints. There's no reason to think that it can be used to define optimal diet.

Jonathan

PS: And might have changed surprisingly recently... the overbite hypothesis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overbite# ... _dentition
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... v3218.full

And by the same measure " of dietary constraints" makes us what we are therefore our ideal diet maybe what we've been eating for millennia. The introduction to processed food even bread is only a few thousand years ago and may not be the food our gut works best on.

Reading "The Diet Myth " by Tim Spector which talks about gut health balance.

His argument is that each individual has a slightly different balance of foods that is ideal. The only supplementary vitamin he says makes any difference is vitamin D -- all the rest aren't making a bean of difference to your health unless there's something like v b12 efficiency syndrome going on or the like.

Don't know how serious to take him though -- still evaluating.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Just eat a balanced diet. Not too much, Not too little
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

As a child in the forties I was forced to drink the school milk.
I spent many a playtime fighting the nausea until I had drunk it to the satisfaction of the teacher.
I don't like milk apart from a dash in tea or coffee.
However I can cope with full fat Greek yoghourt - usually with cereal.
I usually eschew low fat versions of anything - am I missing something in low fat yoghourt ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ANTONISH wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 11:05am I usually eschew low fat versions of anything - am I missing something in low fat yoghourt ?
That's mostly about total energy intake. But the need for supplementation of vitamin D has already been mentioned.

Jonathan