Re: Cycling and deafness

Post by Mick F »

Suffice it to say .............. I can hear! :D :D :D

Both ears, clear as a bell.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 9:52am ...I'm suffering with completely blocked ears. Left one far worse then right. Taking drops for it, and if it doesn't clear in the next day or two, I'll be reporting sick to the nurse for a good syringe. Been like this on and off over the years, so it's nothing new to me.
None of the NHS around me (or other counties family live in) will syringe any more (they consider it dangerous). They always direct me to somebody who does some vacuum technique with a microscope thing (you lie on one of those examination bed things head on side and practitioner positions microscope above and has some tiny vacuum device thingy. Costs me £35 for one ear, £50 for both.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The lady nurse was brilliant.

She looked in my "good" ear and declared that she could see the ear-drum, so drops every day is the way forward as it's on it's way for ok.

She looked into my blocked left ear, and used the water pump thingy and warned me that it could be uncomfortable.
I was well-prepared as it has been done many times in the past. Yes, very uncomfortable!
Within a minute or two, I could hear clearly.
Held a cup under my ear as she did it, and the gunk inside after doing the job, looked awful :shock:

I can hear the clocks ticking, the radio clearly, and the parrot pecking at her food. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
I may have a bike ride tomorrow ..................... weather permitting.
Very confident that I'll be fine. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 9:33am
[XAP]Bob wrote: 2 Jul 2021, 9:24amDeaf (as opposed to deaf) people tend to have much better peripheral vision than their hearing alter egos.
I suggest caution with that statistic.

Of course it varies with the cause of deafness, but if you take the whole population of people with hearing impairment they're much more likely to have other neurological deficits, including visual.

But i would be interested if there's any evidence that in the absence of other deficit peripheral vision actually improves, as opposed to the individual relying on it more.

Jonathan
I was quite specific that I was referring to Deaf, rather than deaf. If you're not culturally aware of the difference then it is very subtle. Deaf (as a proper noun) is a cultural identity and is, in my somewhat limited experience, almost exclusively used by people who have been profoundly deaf since birth (although often not those who had childhood cochlear implants).
That sensory deprivation does increase the reliance on, and therefore development of, peripheral vision. I do not think that there is any retinal difference, but there is probably a processing difference and certainly an awareness difference.

Obviously comorbidity will significantly affect those specific individuals.

Maybe "make better use of their peripheral vision" is a better descriptor, but it feels like it lacks something important in the phrase.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just to update this.
Left ear is fine now, though was a bit sore for a week or two.
Right ear wasn't bad enough for "basting out" by the nurse, and has been still partially blocked and sort of deaf. Spent some time with drops in it, and basically it is now ok. The ear, as well as the right one, have been going downhill for months, but now both on the road to recovery. :D

22nd June since I turned a pedal, but tomorrow I'm off and riding. Planning on climbing Pork Hill onto Dartmoor.
Wish me luck!
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Successful ride! :D
Also, both ears fine now.
Mick F. Cornwall
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Im deaf (zero hearing right side) and partially deaf left, been that way for the last 42 years. use hearing aid on left side (last 10 years) to increase higher frequency. (very bass hearing) I often leave it off in bad weather and just manage.
right side no use at all.

Never had any issues riding I just seem to notice more and stay very aware (dont even think I try)
Pete... I think
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The thing is ...........
If you always have good hearing, and suddenly lose it on one side, it's very disorientating indeed.
No doubt if the situation remains for years/decades, you get used to it.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think long-term deafness can bring on paranoia?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Not sure about paranoia ? got tinitus so silence is never silence
Pete... I think
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 10:32am I think long-term deafness can bring on paranoia?
I don't know about paranoia but it's often asserted that deafness is more isolating than blindness.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 5:57pm The lady nurse was brilliant.

She looked in my "good" ear and declared that she could see the ear-drum, so drops every day is the way forward as it's on it's way for ok.

She looked into my blocked left ear, and used the water pump thingy and warned me that it could be uncomfortable.
I was well-prepared as it has been done many times in the past. Yes, very uncomfortable!
Within a minute or two, I could hear clearly.
Held a cup under my ear as she did it, and the gunk inside after doing the job, looked awful :shock:

I can hear the clocks ticking, the radio clearly, and the parrot pecking at her food. :D
You think that's uncomfortable... try having steroids injected through the ear drum, and having to keep your head on it's side without swallowing for thirty minutes.

The needle through the ear drum sounded a lot like a needle through paper, though much louder.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 2:15pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 10:32am I think long-term deafness can bring on paranoia?
I don't know about paranoia but it's often asserted that deafness is more isolating than blindness.

Jonathan
I can see an argument for that, particularly for those with acquired deafness, but I'm not entirely convinced (having never been either totally blind or totally deaf).
millimole

Post by millimole »

TimeTraveller wrote:Not sure about paranoia ? got tinitus so silence is never silence
Tinnitus is a condition that's hard to understand until you experience it. Not for a day, or a week, but having a constant noise in your head that no one else can hear. Every waking moment.
Tinnitus teaches you a certain type of resilience (or it destroys you).
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider