Cycling and deafness

Mick F
Spambuster

Cycling and deafness

Post by Mick F »

I know that the deaf and the hard of hearing cycle.

I'm suffering with completely blocked ears. Left one far worse then right. Taking drops for it, and if it doesn't clear in the next day or two, I'll be reporting sick to the nurse for a good syringe. Been like this on and off over the years, so it's nothing new to me.

Any road up, I don't fancy cycling like this. My "awareness" is completely shot, and it really is disconcerting.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Re: Cycling and deafness

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 9:52am I know that the deaf and the hard of hearing cycle.

I'm suffering with completely blocked ears. Left one far worse then right. Taking drops for it, and if it doesn't clear in the next day or two, I'll be reporting sick to the nurse for a good syringe. Been like this on and off over the years, so it's nothing new to me.

Any road up, I don't fancy cycling like this. My "awareness" is completely shot, and it really is disconcerting.
How do you manage when riding into a strong headwind, when the rush of air past the ears makes vehicles from behind inaudible? Or in heavy traffic all round such that audible information is hopelessly scrambled?
I would guess that, like me, you use your sight to keep yourself safe. We can all adapt in tricky circumstances.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Never really thought about it but there seems to be plenty riding around with headphones in/on presumably listening music?Maybe they are just completely oblivious to what's happening around them or maybe the headphones create a force field to protect them.
Personally I think I rely on hearing as much as sight when riding.I might be wrong.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Even in strong wind, I can hear. I have excellent hearing (normally). I can't even here the keyboard whilst typing now. Everything feels like I'm surrounded in soundproof rubber.

Hearing and sight is what makes people aware of their surroundings. Miss out one of them, and disorientation arrises and that's what I am at the moment - disorientated.

The human brain can cope with all sorts of things, and if my deafness was permanent, I would cope (even at my age) eventually.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hellhound wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:18am Never really thought about it but there seems to be plenty riding around with headphones in/on presumably listening music?Maybe they are just completely oblivious to what's happening around them or maybe the headphones create a force field to protect them.
Personally I think I rely on hearing as much as sight when riding.I might be wrong.
My problem is that the traffic drowns my earphones.
I would not think of veering from my line without a visual check behind, even when not using earphones.
I can see traffic from in front: I can't imagine how the sound of an engine behind could induce me to dive off the road, How would I know whether it was about to drive over me or just overtake?
One adapts to these things.
Of course those over-ear, enveloping head phones are a bad idea, but I have never seen a cyclist wearing them.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I suffer from blocked eustacion tubes which occur during the hay fever season. It feels like wax in your ears, so worth speaking to your medics about. Some sufferers swear by ear massage to relieve it, although I found it didn't make any difference. Same with nasal sprays for hay fever which were recommended to me to clear the blocked tubes. Best of luck.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sorry to hear that Mick - annoying and potentially risky, for the reason you've already pointed out... have you thought about one of them rear view mirrors? I used to have a bar-end jobbie - long gone - but I recall it being quite effective. Adn of course there's always the Sheldon version - looks a bit weird but I bet it works OK!
Sheldon and his mirror
Sheldon and his mirror
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Mick F wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 9:52am I know that the deaf and the hard of hearing cycle.

It could well take a couple of weeks for the drops to work. You could wait awhile before resorting to syringing.
Richard M
Cardiff
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

The worse possible this to do is follow NHS advice........Don't use olive oil!
I used some prescribed stuff from GP and felt suicidal by the third day :( ....Made it worse.............
I normally direct shower head turned up hot as you can handle at ear for 20 seconds or so and repeat for other ear then repeat again.
Syringe ears :evil:
Make sure the waters warm, I had a bad experience once and woke every morn with ear ache for two weeks!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It does sound disconcerting. I understand what you are saying. If you don't feel right riding like that fair enough. It seems a pity though.
I have had one ear blocked with wax more than once, but I felt no need to stay off the bike.

I now include a good ear wash in my shower routine. So far, no blockages.

I also use a spectacle mirror, just like Sheldon's. I find it very good. I am a little tempted to criticise the morror-less, in retaliation to all the critics of earphones. How can riders neglect this simple safety measure?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:32amI normally direct shower head turned up hot as you can handle at ear for 20 seconds or so and repeat for other ear then repeat again.
This is not good advice. If you choose to use water it should only be warm, not "as hot as you can handle".

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:36am
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:32amI normally direct shower head turned up hot as you can handle at ear for 20 seconds or so and repeat for other ear then repeat again.
This is not good advice. If you choose to use water it should only be warm, not "as hot as you can handle".

Jonathan
OK I bow to superior experience on medical matters :wink:
So warmish not too hot to handle :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just on the subject of earwax removal, AIUI it's not automatically available on the NHS. Mrs Thirdcrank has a lot of trouble with it and couldn't get her normal attention at our GP's earlier in lockdown. We had a pantomime when she was offered a telephone consultation when she was temporarily completely deaf. Luckily, I discovered that Specsavers do it - for a fee. They use some sort of gadget with a tiny built-in camera. Marvellous service, even though the Morley branch where we went was closed except for emergencies.

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/ea ... oval_Exact
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:38am Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:36am
So warmish not too hot to handle
That's it.

: - )

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I can certainly relate to the effectivness of hearing as a sense. Normally one can discern all sorts of things with reasonable accuracy - such as the proximity and even the speed of an approaching vehicle, etc etc. Clever things, ears!
I recall with horror an experience in India when I thought was a good idea to visit a street vendor of ear cleaning services with his pointy instruments and metal hooks. Although he did a good job judging by the fresh clear audio experience immediately aftwards, I cannot imagine what tempted me to let him loose!! What ever was I thinking??
Last edited by simonineaston on 28 Jun 2021, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)