Diet & Veg.

LeBikiekat

Re: Diet & Veg.

Post by LeBikiekat »

Hello

I wonder if the 'root' question ( :lol: :lol: ) about this was to do with fibre intake levels and type of fibre.
Fibre is useful for a number of reasons including disposal of oestrogen, prevention of degenerative disease ..
(https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv ... fibre.html)

The recommended UK daily fibre intake is around 30g between soluble and insoluble.

This is said to facilitate a beneficial gut bacteria population. Provided that there are not other factors that result in fibre not being properly absorbed. Everyone GI system is different. So applying a one size fits all criteria is difficult.

Other factors that influence what types of food groups are better (or worse) digested than others are food intolerances to do with certain foods like intolerances to short-chain sugars (FODMAP) etc.. so this post is aimed at general advice that might help with additional aha! than a 'do this instead'.

Satiety is a helpful cue to gauge the quantity and type of what is eaten as well as how one generally feels a few hours after eating.

There are a number of different categories in vegan/vegetarian according to what you add to plant-based foods. So vegetarians generally do eat eggs, those who eat fish and plant-based foods are called pescatarians, and yes you can have plant-based cheese substitutes but most of what is in supermarkets is starch-based and coconut oil-based (carbs plus fat). You can find nut-based hard cheese that's only or mainly made with nuts and aged via probiotics but it tends to be £££ because the methods and time and ingredients base cost is high.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LeBikiekat wrote: 9 Aug 2021, 1:43pmFibre is useful for a number of reasons including disposal of oestrogen, prevention of degenerative disease ..
(https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliv ... fibre.html)
Does the linked site mention either of those?

Thanks

Jonathan
LeBikiekat

Post by LeBikiekat »

Hey there

Have a look :)
I built a knowledge base over time by being curious and asking why
The oestrogen disposal comes from a Doc on Utube who has regular medical based videos.
Let me know if you have any other questions if I can answer I will.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LeBikiekat wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 5:22pmHave a look
I had. Where is it, please?

LeBikiekat wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 5:22pm The oestrogen disposal comes from a Doc on Utube who has regular medical based videos.
Do you have a link, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
pq

Post by pq »

I'm a vegan and I avoid almost all highly processed foods, but I completely understand why others eat fake meat or processed stuff.

Imagine you love meat and junk food but you're concerned about animal welfare so you become vegan. Obviously you're going to look for the vegan equivalents of what you like. People become vegan for all sorts of reasons and it doesn't always include health.

As for such products being misleading, for the meat eaters here, have you ever bought a vegan substitute by mistake? It just doesn't happen. So these products are not misleading becasue no-one thinks they're made of animal products.
One link to your website is enough. G
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And today we have naming of parts:

"Ban Meat-Related Names For Vegetarian Products?" A survey:
https://foodanddrinknetwork-uk.co.uk/ba ... ney0821-20

"Why France banned meat names for vegetarian alternatives":
http://budeandbeyond.co.uk/magazine/why ... ernatives/

Jonathan
pq

Post by pq »

I live in France and followed the ban closely. It was instigated by the meat/dairy industry despite them having absolutely no evidence at all that the labelling of products was a problem. The result of the ban was huge publicity for vegan products with corresponding increases in sales. I seem to remember similar initiatives in other parts of the world having the same impact.
One link to your website is enough. G
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Professor Tim Spector was on The Life Scientific this morning, the 30 plants a week recommendation comes from him. His research has shown that the healthiest people are the ones with the most diverse gut biome, and that's achieved by maximising the variety of fruit and veg in the diet.

"The optimum diversity, across 11,000 people, was whether you ate 30 plants a week or not." @17m28s:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010pv0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780229003/ ... _lig_dp_it
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

axel_knutt wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 11:33am Professor Tim Spector was on The Life Scientific this morning, the 30 plants a week recommendation comes from him. His research has shown that the healthiest people are the ones with the most diverse gut biome, and that's achieved by maximising the variety of fruit and veg in the diet.

"The optimum diversity, across 11,000 people, was whether you ate 30 plants a week or not." @17m28s:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010pv0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1780229003/ ... _lig_dp_it
I heard the last part (missed the 30 per week) as I was not fully listening. On Jim Al-Khalili's Life Scientific?

Maybe I'll go back and keep records for a bit see how I'm doing these days.

Ian
borisface

Post by borisface »

Just to clarify, Tim Spector means 30 different types of plant per week not just 30 portions of fruit or veg. This includes herbs and spices as well as fruit and veg, so actually not that difficult to achieve, most weeks.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Quick question. How does it affect your cycling speed when :
You are being good and using the recommended fuel - vegetables.
You relax and be very slightly bad. It is Xmas and you sneak the chocolates and wolf down cream cakes. I only ask coz my wattage is lousy with the good fuel but improves drastically with the bad fuel. Trouble is excess bad sugar might invite cancers etc later on.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Re veg .I am reading Bill Bryson's The body. He explains the protection that vegetables give is due to their BITTERNESS coz it jump starts the immune response. What's worrying is that the food industry is encouraging strains of tomatoes and apples and the like which have a high sugar content. Its just a matter of time before they move on to vegetables aided by high profile PR/marketing.

The likelihood is the Government will have to encourage a ban on fruit and veg from 2050.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That reminds me of a remark a dietitian friend of mine made once, to wit the reason coffee fizzes up your system is 'cos it's a toxin and our clever bodies recognise it as such and speed things up in order to get rid of asap !!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 4:33pm That reminds me of a remark a dietitian friend of mine made once, to wit the reason coffee fizzes up your system is 'cos it's a toxin and our clever bodies recognise it as such and speed things up in order to get rid of asap !!
is that really the case?
My antennae tend to twitch at the term dietician - it's used by a fair few dodgy folks - i don't know your friend of course.
Sweep
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Sweep wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 9:32amis that really the case?
It's not. I saw some BBC popular science programme about Caffeine which gave a good clear explanation of what it does, but I can't find that particular programme. The best I could find on YouTube is the following. (The specific detail on what it does in the brain to keep you awake is between 02.00 and 04.00.)

What I took away from the BBC documentary was that caffeine and coffee have quite a lot of positives for the body, but that the way they work is essentially the same as any other addictive drug - i.e. once you've developed a tolerance to a certain dose, you'll need that dose from then on just to be where you previously were (pre-addiction) without taking it. So if you can get through the weeks of trauma involved in giving up coffee, you'll eventually be back to where you started and won't need it - I tried that and it works.