Diet & Veg.

Jdsk

Re: Diet & Veg

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:24pm
pjclinch wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:57am
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 8:05am A couple of weeks ago, with some mates getting coffee and a bacon sandwich at a local cafe, I noticed they had ‘Vegetarian BLTs’.

Still thinking about that.
Google "vegan bacon".
There's a growing trade in meat-free "I can't believe it's not <insert meat product category here>" stuff, and those would probably be using something similar.
It isn’t, of course, bacon. Bacon is salt cured pork. So-called vegan bacon is something else but it isn’t bacon. It might be healthy and delicious, but it isn’t bacon.
I've never been able to understand why "meat" words can be used on food products that don't contain it. Anyone?

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Re: Diet & Veg.

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:20pm
PH wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:14pm
No legumes

* Except peanuts
+ Peas (twice), broad bean.

Jonathan
You're right of course, I was thinking of dried foods, an easy staple for that reason.
borisface

Re: Diet & Veg

Post by borisface »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:32pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:24pm
pjclinch wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 11:57am
Google "vegan bacon".
There's a growing trade in meat-free "I can't believe it's not <insert meat product category here>" stuff, and those would probably be using something similar.
It isn’t, of course, bacon. Bacon is salt cured pork. So-called vegan bacon is something else but it isn’t bacon. It might be healthy and delicious, but it isn’t bacon.
I've never been able to understand why "meat" words can be used on food products that don't contain it. Anyone?

Thanks

Jonathan
I agree. It's marketing of course but also at best it's misrepresentation. I suppose the non-meat item is used as a substitute for a meat or dairy item, so it's a definition of 'function' and 'form' rather than anything else. For example the processed vegetable fat and flavouring constituting shredded vegan mozzarella (yes it exists) is intended to fulfil the function of a melty cheese used on a pizza. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the ingredients for vegan smoked salmon*. What I always find ironic is many vegan and vegetarian options such as vegan bacon and cheese are either heavily processed or contain ingredients such as cashews or coconut oil imported from distant countries which to my mind severely undermines the health and ecological benefits of such diets. Likewise, is organic food which is flown halfway round the world really better for the planet than locally grown non-organic food?

*carrots
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I presume the word ‘sausage’, whilst normally suggesting meat (if you are lucky), really refers to shape. Similarly ‘burger’ and ‘Pattie’. Even pie.

Mince, whilst in most minds means minced beef, really refers to the process involved in chopping it up.

But bacon is a specific kind of meat.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:00pm I presume the word ‘sausage’, whilst normally suggesting meat (if you are lucky), really refers to shape. Similarly ‘burger’ and ‘Pattie’. Even pie.

Mince, whilst in most minds means minced beef, really refers to the process involved in chopping it up.
I don't see the problem, unless it's intended to deceive. If something is called vegetarian bacon/sausage/mince it obviously isn't an animal product yet gives the consumer an idea of what to expect (Though that expectation is often not met) and how they might use it. I don't often eat such things, but for those looking to reduce their meat consumption without radically changing their meals they're useful labels.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:23pmI don't see the problem, unless it's intended to deceive.
My question was really about whether you're allowed to label any food as some other food. I had assumed not, but now I don't know.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I remember from my schooldays that "macon" was mutton cured to replace bacon. I understood it was just a WWII substitute for the real thing which had met opposition from some quarters because of confusion with Mâcon wine.

I see there's more to it than that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macon_(food)
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:28pm
PH wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:23pmI don't see the problem, unless it's intended to deceive.
My question was really about whether you're allowed to label any food as some other food. I had assumed not, but now I don't know.

Jonathan
Apparently in some places you're not, France is I think one, there may be others.
In the UK, I can't see why there'd be anything stopping you unless it was deceptive. The words themselves are not protected.
It isn't just vegetarian meat substitutes, I'm sure I've seen turkey bacon and what about alcohol free beer? Or all the "Teas" made from other plants? Or non dairy milk? Synthetic leather?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Turkey bacon is pretty clear. But what on earth is vegetarian bacon? I dread to think what it is made of.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:45pm Turkey bacon is pretty clear. But what on earth is vegetarian bacon? I dread to think what it is made of.
Err.. vegetables?
The point is, you wouldn't buy it expecting it to contain any pig.
IMO much more deceptive are the meat products that contain very little.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:11pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:45pm But what on earth is vegetarian bacon? I dread to think what it is made of.
Err.. vegetables?
"Vegan Plant-Based Bacon Rashers":
https://www.vbites.com/product/all-day-bcn-rashers/

Ingredients:
Water, Wheat Gluten, Soya Protein, Coconut Oil, Salt, Potato Starch, Dried Yeast, Rapeseed Oil, Natural Flavourings, Thickener: Carrageenan, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate, Onion Powder, Sugar, Colour: Iron Oxide.

"Quorn Vegetarian Bacon":
https://www.quorn.co.uk/products/bacon-style-rashers

Ingredients:
Mycoprotein (77%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Flavourings (contains Milk, Smoke Flavourings, Colour: Iron Oxide), Rapeseed Oil, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate.

"Plant-based Bacon Rashers":
https://this.co/products/rashers/

Ingredients:
Water, Soy Protein Concentrate (22%), Soy Protein Isolate (7%), Flavouring, Pea Protein Isolate (4%), Vegetable Extracts (Radish, Carrot, Paprika), Potato Starch, Salt, Rapeseed Oil, Maltodextrin, Iron, Vitamin B12.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks for this.

You’re making me so hungry.

Not many vegetables there.
John
borisface

Post by borisface »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 3:00pm I presume the word ‘sausage’, whilst normally suggesting meat (if you are lucky), really refers to shape. Similarly ‘burger’ and ‘Pattie’. Even pie.

I'm reminded of a crossword clue from my old village's newsletter: cylindrical meatpiece (7 letters) Answer: sausage

Cylindrical legumepiece, anyone?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

borisface wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:30pmCylindrical legumepiece, anyone?
BEANPOLE

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:24pm Thanks for this.

You’re making me so hungry.

Not many vegetables there.
With the exception of the evil Quorn, it's pretty much all vegetables and (To bring it back on topic) a fair chunk of your 25 a week :wink:

Do you know what's in the average slice of bacon? I'll guess there's a fair bit that didn't come from the pig.