Diet & Veg.

Oldjohnw

Re: Diet & Veg.

Post by Oldjohnw »

PH wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:45pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:24pm Thanks for this.

You’re making me so hungry.

Not many vegetables there.
With the exception of the evil Quorn, it's pretty much all vegetables and (To bring it back on topic) a fair chunk of your 25 a week :wink:

Do you know what's in the average slice of bacon? I'll guess there's a fair bit that didn't come from the pig.
Hey, I’m not claiming bacon is healthy. Or that bacon producers are honest. Sorry, I don’t really consider vegetable extract vegetables. Or pea protein. We have homemade veggie burgers made of real finely sliced vegetables. Not something processed to death😀
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 23 Jul 2021, 5:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
borisface

Post by borisface »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:35pm
borisface wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:30pmCylindrical legumepiece, anyone?
BEANPOLE

Jonathan
Very droll.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:52pm
Sorry, I don’t really consider vegetable extract vegetables.
The word "based" tends to do some pretty heavy lifting in food marketing terminology.

"Processed stuff originally meant to be something like bacon, not using animal products" probably felt less catchy than "veggie bacon"...

As with all highly processed foods, buyer beware.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

borisface wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 5:06pm
borisface wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:30pmCylindrical legumepiece, anyone?
BEANPOLE

Jonathan
Very droll.
Too many letters.

How about: "rissole"?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pjclinch wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 6:20am
Oldjohnw wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 4:52pm
Sorry, I don’t really consider vegetable extract vegetables.
The word "based" tends to do some pretty heavy lifting in food marketing terminology.

"Processed stuff originally meant to be something like bacon, not using animal products" probably felt less catchy than "veggie bacon"...

As with all highly processed foods, buyer beware.

Pete.
Quite. My reluctance to buy would not be about it being pretend meat, but by the massive processing needed. Same reluctance if it was meat. We have veggie burgers which don’t pretend to be meat. We enjoy the veg with which they are made. Veg and meat are different things. Why try to make them the same?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 8:59amWe have veggie burgers which don’t pretend to be meat. We enjoy the veg with which they are made. Veg and meat are different things. Why try to make them the same?
Making meat-free dishes look like meaty dishes has always puzzled me.

But I think that doing it commercially might mean that the market for attracting meat-eaters is more valuable than that for those who are repelled.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 8:20am
BEANPOLE
Very droll.
Too many letters.

Hmmm...

The length of the answer wasn't specified in the clue.

And how is RISSOLE connected to legumepiece?

Thanks

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Perhaps their benefit is in weaning people from meat diets, or at least to make them think vegetables can be tasty. But I would fear they would trade one lot of unhealthy things for another. I would rather people chose vegetables for their own sake. But it’s a complex world and one always fears that the choices we are faced with are unduly influenced by someone seeing a way to exploit a need that we didn’t know we had.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 10:16amBut it’s a complex world and one always fears that the choices we are faced with are unduly influenced by someone seeing a way to exploit a need that we didn’t know we had.
I always ask my students who has a financial incentive to sell consumers less food.

See also exercise.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 10:16am Perhaps their benefit is in weaning people from meat diets, or at least to make them think vegetables can be tasty.
What's being offered is straight substitution, if you like bacon... you could try this. It isn't about making anyone think vegetables can be tasty, it's about offering what someone is looking for from a meat product, without the meat. If that's not what you're looking for, move along, but the number of successful products shows that plenty are. Sometimes I fancy a meaty burger and the Aldi No Beef Burger hits the spot in a way that my favourite home made nut rissole doesn't.
I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with processed foods, is pea protein or wheat gluten any worse than dried lentils or rolled oats? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect there isn't a lot of difference and I'd be surprised if it was harmful in the way meat processing often is.
Saying we don't need it may be perfectly correct, but where do we draw the line? We draw out own of course.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 11:19amI don't think there is anything inherently wrong with processed foods, is pea protein or wheat gluten any worse than dried lentils or rolled oats? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect there isn't a lot of difference and I'd be surprised if it was harmful in the way meat processing often is.
Yes, there's a lot of different types of processing.

The effects on health aren't well understood. (But that's true for nearly all of nutrition.)

The research that kicked this off is in what looks like a productive area... effects on the gut biome. That seems likely to refine (!) our language describing types of processing.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:06pm Yes, there's a lot of different types of processing.

The effects on health aren't well understood. (But that's true for nearly all of nutrition.)

The research that kicked this off is in what looks like a productive area... effects on the gut biome. That seems likely to refine (!) our language describing types of processing.

Jonathan
This view currently seems to be gaining some traction, Chris van Tulleken has been promoting it just recently:
http://archive.wphna.org/wp-content/upl ... l-NOVA.pdf
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

axel_knutt wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:33pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:06pm Yes, there's a lot of different types of processing.

This view currently seems to be gaining some traction, Chris van Tulleken has been promoting it just recently:
http://archive.wphna.org/wp-content/upl ... l-NOVA.pdf
I didn't know about that initiative.

Thanks for posting.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

As others have commented, I find it strange the idea of vegetarian/vegan products being made to look like meat "equivalents". There are some cases where it makes sense e.g. "Cottage Pie" based on lentils where the "Cottage Pie" is a good descriptor of what it actually is (lentils with a layer of mash on top). But meat free sausages don't appeal to me - I gave up meat so don't need to pretend I'm eating meat. But maybe it is in part character type - after years on 20+ a day I decided to give up smoking, remaining packs immediately in the bin and that was it (no patches, no gum, just stop).

But I can see them helpful where people who love meat are trying meat free, a bit like vaping and smoking (overlooking the unknown/questionable/suspected health risks of vaping). I cut out meat for sustainability reasons and don't miss it but others with a love of sausages/mince/etc. might find the meat-free "equivalents" helpful so more can be more sustainable whilst still getting food without feeling they are missing something.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 10:06am
PDQ Mobile wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 8:20am

Very droll.
Too many letters.

Hmmm...

The length of the answer wasn't specified in the clue.

And how is RISSOLE connected to legumepiece?

Thanks

Jonathan
Just letter numbers transposed from original clue.
Veggie rissole.

Was just lighthearted.