Leg Lengths and cleat pack ups

arnsider

Leg Lengths and cleat pack ups

Post by arnsider »

Some few years back, I broke my left ankle, walking off Penyghent, on the day of the three peaks bike race.
It was potted and I limped around on sticks for six weeks, favouring my right leg.
I started getting foot problems, fasciitus and a sore right knee until a visit to a podiatrist revealed my left leg slightly longer than the right one.
Insoles and a three milimeter l pack up on the right remedied the situatiuon.
I still have a right knee problem that may be related and I wondered if I should pack up my right shoe over the cleat?
Where should the center of the cleat be in relation to the foot atchitecture?
I have cut a little more rubber from the shoe tread in the way of the bolted cleat and now find the right one much easier to engage.
Does anyone strap their knees with kinesiology tape? and does it work reducing pain?
Jdsk

Re: Leg Lengths and cleat pack ups

Post by Jdsk »

arnsider wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 8:44am Does anyone strap their knees with kinesiology tape? and does it work reducing pain?
From what I can tell it works for the people who sell it.

"Current evidence does not support the use of Kinesio Taping in clinical practice: a systematic review"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24856938/

"Effectiveness of kinesiology tape on sports performance abilities in athletes: A systematic review"
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3X16301857

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 9:38am
arnsider wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 8:44am Does anyone strap their knees with kinesiology tape? and does it work reducing pain?
From what I can tell it works for the people who sell it.

"Current evidence does not support the use of Kinesio Taping in clinical practice: a systematic review"
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24856938/

"Effectiveness of kinesiology tape on sports performance abilities in athletes: A systematic review"
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3X16301857

Jonathan
I have a recurrent knee twinge. Normally it's not too bad.
If it's playing up more than usual I use kinetic tape - I can't remember how I was persuaded to try it because the way it's supposed to work sounds unlikely.
It works for me but it's probably all in the mind.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

arnsider wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 8:44am Some few years back, I broke my left ankle, walking off Penyghent, on the day of the three peaks bike race.
It was potted and I limped around on sticks for six weeks, favouring my right leg.
I started getting foot problems, fasciitus and a sore right knee until a visit to a podiatrist revealed my left leg slightly longer than the right one.
Insoles and a three milimeter l pack up on the right remedied the situatiuon.
I still have a right knee problem that may be related and I wondered if I should pack up my right shoe over the cleat?
Where should the center of the cleat be in relation to the foot atchitecture?
I have cut a little more rubber from the shoe tread in the way of the bolted cleat and now find the right one much easier to engage.
Does anyone strap their knees with kinesiology tape? and does it work reducing pain?
what does this mean.please?

Steve Hogg on cleat placement here...... https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... -position/
....also links to stuff about wedging and shimming. (its long and complicated)

Having broken your left ankle, I wouldn't be surprised if you are still putting most of the load on your right leg, even years later.
Also, too high a saddle is much more likely to give knee problems than too low a saddle (due to "over"-extension.) Do you have the saddle height set for the longer left leg? (Assuming cycling sets off the sore right knee.)

Its essential to set the cleat so that your foot is free to rotate (clockwise and anticlockwise) within the "float"....if your foot is up against the end of the float either side, this can make the knee uncomfortable.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I pack is a miss key
On my ordinary footwear, I use a heel insole with a 3mm pack on the right foot, Zero on the left.
Videos show people sat on high stools with their feet dangling above the ground, in an attempt to determine if each foot is toeing in or out, then cranking the cleat in the corresponding direction to compensate.
This coupled with what you say regarding saddle height makes the set up a bit of a black art.
I'll try lowering my saddle a bit and thanks.
I already suffer with the onset of osteoporosis in my right thigh and lately, I am getting what feels like bursitis or tendonitis on that side.
The piriformis stretches give a little relief.