Cycling after a heart bypass

joeegg

Cycling after a heart bypass

Post by joeegg »

Due to have heart bypass surgery shortly and I was looking for anyone on here with experience of cycling post surgery.
I am looking at getting a turbo trainer as the surgeon said the continuous jolting from the roads wouldn't help the healing of the breast bone.
He also said that he wasn't keen on heart rate monitors and that it was better to judge yourself how you are feeling during excercise.
Jdsk

Re: Cycling after a heart bypass

Post by Jdsk »

General principles:

Don't push through pain.

It may be smart to exercise in different ways. This often comes up in this forum for musculoskeletal injuries, and that's what your sternum is about to go through. The smartest way to return to cycling asap might be to add in some walking or something else while it all heals.

Have they given you any other postoperative advice, such as physiotherapeutic?

Jonathan
joeegg

Post by joeegg »

I have been told that initially it will be walking only . My operation is not taking place in one local to me but they said my nearest hospital may have a cardiac rehab unit.
I realise it will take some time for my breastbone to knit and was told to avoid any stress on my chest for around 2 month .
My heart has suffered no damage at all, but 3 arteries blocked. The consultant said there would be no upper heart rate limit and just to take notice of what my body is telling me when exercising.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Post surgery you’re dealing with 2 injuries: the bypass and the broken breastbone. You need to limit the stress on your surgeon’s handiwork by controlling the exertion and listening to your body. No harm in using an HRM as well. I would recommend seeking out some cardiac rehab in your local hospital - exercise in a controlled safe environment like that gave me reassurance when later venturing out on my own.

Your breastbone will have reached full strength after a couple of months but may still cause discomfort or pain. Have you broken any bones before? They can cause painful spasms years later but thankfully less frequently. It’s coming up on 4 years for me but I can still be caught out if I spend much time on the drops - particularly if I haven’t done much riding for a couple of weeks.

Remember that you’ll be doing much better than your sedentary fellow patients, but don’t be in a rush to regain former activity levels. Let them come in their own time and try and enjoy other aspects of your life in the meantime.
Milburn

Post by Milburn »

Depending how you come through the operation and where any required tissue is harvested from you should be on the bike after a couple of months.
Keep the rides to a easy pace spin don’t push take a gentle year to build up to full fitness on the bike.
After my bypass first couple of days out of hospital walked round the block twice a day after about 10 days walking a mile morning and evening by three weeks walking an hour plus once or twice a day.
So I tried a ride just three miles far to soon I leant my lesson and kept walking for two months by then could manage the bike ok no pulling on the bar or raising the heart rate to high. That was in March by September could manage 50/70 miles twice a week no I’ll effects.
Your doctors may give medication that limits your heart rate if your a racing cyclist this is bad news I could ride happily at 18 mph average but try to hit racing speed just made me feel bad.
But I could still ride two years after the operation I rode the Grand Fondo Campagnolo in Feltre Italy the heart and legs came through great but I was very tired.
Just take recovery at a pace you are comfortable with listen to your body and rest is very important I did find that I tired more easily.
You are sure to have physical changes my sweat glands worked overtime most embarrassing but slowly returned to normal
Twenty plus years later I am still riding anyone got some spare knees this arthritis put the bypass in the shade.
Good luck the cycling fitness will see you through.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Be careful not to get constipated in the first weeks. The last thing you need is to sit straining on the cludge.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
joeegg

Post by joeegg »

Thanks for all the replies. The surgery went well and apart from the first couple of days I am feeling good.
The back up from the NHS so far has been brilliant and shortly I will be having a visit from a guy to advise me on increasing my activity.
The most difficult part hasn't been movement but my digestion system. Chest and leg pain,where they took the vein,has been minimal.
Yes Audax, constipation reared its ugly head in and out of hospital.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sounds good.

I suggest writing down your questions in advance, including those about cycling and other exercise, so that you don't forget them.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

joeegg wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:44pm Thanks for all the replies. The surgery went well and apart from the first couple of days I am feeling good.
The back up from the NHS so far has been brilliant and shortly I will be having a visit from a guy to advise me on increasing my activity.
The most difficult part hasn't been movement but my digestion system. Chest and leg pain,where they took the vein,has been minimal.
Yes Audax, constipation reared its ugly head in and out of hospital.
Great to hear all went well -- I experienced the constipation too ( on my recent week in hospital ) -- hellish but with two depth charges and a day on John I got red out eventually. They wouldn't let me home until that happened.
I am here. Where are you?
drossall

Post by drossall »

My bypass was two years ago. There was a bit of a delay because I was the unlucky 1% who gets an infection, which gained me a bonus six or eight weeks in hospital. However, I was then fed into the physio system, which was very good. They looked after me for a number of weeks, and made sure that I took the right levels of exercise. Then they gave me a docket for half-price membership at the gym.

I got going on that, but then Covid intervened and I switched to Zwift, and surprised myself by getting quite into that. Now, I'm back riding Audax events and club TTs - not to any standard, but then I have never troubled British Cycling's talent scouts, even in my younger days.

As others have said, it's about balance - not pushing too much, and not too little either. The surgeon who discharged me wasn't concerned about my pushing my heart rate, as long as I didn't do that while the sternum was healing. And about listening to medical advice, because everyone is different.
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

I had a bypass in June 2018. I was riding normally by the autumn.

I needed attention to four arteries. They decided that they would do keyhole surgery between my ribs to bypass one artery and fix the others with stents. A major factor was that I had a one year old daughter at the time and would not be able to lift her if I'd had a normal bypass but,this way, I could after one month.

I hadn't had any cardiac events beforehand, so no scaring to my heart muscle.

The operation and time in hospital was pretty rough but bearable. My complication was fluid around my lungs which had to be drained.

Afterwards I was pretty weak but strength came back quite quickly. The first few days I was walking slowly and struggling on hills. But it improved. I got on the bike about a week after leaving hospital. Very gentle, flat rides, heart rate no higher than 100. I improved quickly, and within a month, was able to push harder.

The drugs stopped my heart rate going as high as before, but I was able to come off them after about 6 weeks, then I could get above 150.

At that point I was getting pretty strong and, according to my cardiologist, benefiting from about 12% extra heart capacity from the replumbing.

I did a full audax season in 2019 and started the transcontinental race just over a year after the op. I managed to get to half way with everything going well before I had to drop out with shermer's neck.

I didn't have my breastbone cut so my recovery was perhaps a couple of months quicker than a normal bypass but I'd still expect you should be able to get back to where you are now by the start of next year, maybe even with a bit more power.

I hope the recovery continues to go well.
joeegg

Beta blockers and cycling anybody ?

Post by joeegg »

Just a follow up question regarding beta blockers after my original heart bypass post. Anybody cycling and taking them ?
Three months after the op and i am back out on the road. Blood pressure and heart rate are spot on,and my recent ecocardiagram showed no heart damage and was working normally.
I wear a monitor out biking and by the time my heart hits 120 i am getting breathless. I'm also wheezing a bit just doing simple things around the house. Anybody with similar experiences on Beta Blockers ?
Am i expecting too much too soon after the op ?
Jdsk

Re: Beta blockers and cycling anybody ?

Post by Jdsk »

joeegg wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 2:09pmI'm also wheezing a bit just doing simple things around the house. Anybody with similar experiences on Beta Blockers ?
If you're wheezing on beta-blockers I recommend talking to your doctor.

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

Can't comment on the wheezing - talking to your GP is definitely the best idea. I'm on bisoprolol and finding that I can't get my heart rate within 15-20 beats of the nominal maximum for my age. But then the drugs are meant to slow it down. I'm basically where I always was - I can stay with a group, on Zwift or in real life, on the flat, but I'm straight out the back as soon as the road turns slightly upwards.
Cowsham

Re: Beta blockers and cycling anybody ?

Post by Cowsham »

joeegg wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 2:09pm Just a follow up question regarding beta blockers after my original heart bypass post. Anybody cycling and taking them ?
Three months after the op and i am back out on the road. Blood pressure and heart rate are spot on,and my recent ecocardiagram showed no heart damage and was working normally.
I wear a monitor out biking and by the time my heart hits 120 i am getting breathless. I'm also wheezing a bit just doing simple things around the house. Anybody with similar experiences on Beta Blockers ?
Am i expecting too much too soon after the op ?
I nearly died after taking a beta blocker tablet back in about 1985.
I am here. Where are you?