Alternatives to Sugar?

NUKe

Re: Alternatives to Sugar?

Post by NUKe »

you good use a zero calorie drink like High five zero. replace the 3 choclate bars with a flap jack, Bananas are a great cycle food cant stand them myself but a lot of peopel dwear by them. Do you also fridge raid when you get home? have something on hand such as raw carrots or celery to munch when you get back. Also drink water or a large mug of tea on return before eating.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Maybe you should look at your overall diet, what you eat off the bike when I assume you consume most of your calories. Eat slightly less and your weight should fall slowly over time.
MelW

Post by MelW »

xerxes wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 1:45pm Others have mentioned porridge, which I endorse - and its other great advantage is that it contains a lot of water when cooked so helps keep off dehydration.
Porridge is no different to other carbs. It spikes blood sugar levels and raises insulin high. I used to eat it thinking it was helping me lose weight. It wasn't. I now don't eat it as not only did it not help reduce my spare tyre, it spiked my blood sugar level.

Everyone has the same biochemistry inside of us. If you are not getting results it is because you are in denial about eating sugar and carbs. They really are the enemy.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

My sugar intake is low, as I don't eat bread at all, in any form. I just sort of grew out of it I suppose :?
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

MelW wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 4:20am
xerxes wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 1:45pm Others have mentioned porridge, which I endorse - and its other great advantage is that it contains a lot of water when cooked so helps keep off dehydration.
Porridge is no different to other carbs. It spikes blood sugar levels
That is completely untrue. Porridge is a 'slow release' food. It has to be digested before the calories become available, unlike foods which contain pure sugar.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

It took me a long time to transition from fizzy drinks to healthier options, but what a change, what a shift in actual wellbeing.
MelW

Post by MelW »

xerxes wrote: 4 Nov 2021, 8:20pm
MelW wrote: 30 Oct 2021, 4:20am
Porridge is no different to other carbs. It spikes blood sugar levels
That is completely untrue. Porridge is a 'slow release' food. It has to be digested before the calories become available, unlike foods which contain pure sugar.
Well I would politely suggest that your understanding of what porridge does to blood sugar levels needs updating. Porridge are oats which is wheat which are carbs. Whether fast or slow release as you put it, carbs are broken down to sugar which will spike blood sugar levels which will in turn mean the production of insulin by the pancreas to control blood sugar levels to bring it down by storing the sugar as glycogen in the liver or as fat in adipose tissue or around vital organs. They may be marginally slower at spiking blood sugar than pure sucrose, glucose or fructose but spike blood sugar they will. I believed in the "olde school" approach slow release, but they didn't help me lose weight, in fact, they kept storing fat on my waist or hips. When i found out how sugar, but importantly also carb foods are digested I stopped eating them straight away and hey presto I started to lose weight again and my spare tyre and fat stored elsewhere on my body. I don't eat oats or wheat or grains anymore. I do not suffer bad skin any more with eczema as my skin was quite bad and I think wheat/oats was the cause. If you don't want to lose weight and have a spare tyre then eat porridge. I lost the weight so I know.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Don't eat bread. Best advice I ever got 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Slowtwitch wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 12:42am Don't eat bread. Best advice I ever got 8)
I never understand these absolutist dictats on food.
Carbs aren't bad in themselves - bodies need energy.
It's surely just a question of amount and having a balanced diet?
I have toast with jam most days for breakfast.
(along with some heavy shots of espresso)
But avoid carb heavy foods as the last meal of the day. Often have no carbs then.
Sweep
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Your commute is about the same as mine. Whatt I regard as a small breakfast is the hlf a dish of cereal that is the norm. Can cut lunch tp a couple of thick slices of bread plus filling with the odd choccy bar at work if the sweet tins has been topped up.
Mid commute snacking is impossible.No shops.
A thought.
What do you need money for during the day? Not want, need!
Don't take any.
I bet you a extra large bar of chocolate and a bag of dougnuts that you don't need this sugar. You just want it.
Manage without for a week and you'll be over the cravings . Sorry to be less than sysmpathetic but this is just a craving.
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

cut out bread, rice and pasta and buy a few kilos of will power. And eat after you have cycled to work.