Amputee cycling

Bob Windsor

Amputee cycling

Post by Bob Windsor »

Hi All,Iv'e recently joined the UKC hopefully to make contact with any amputee cyclist. In 2014, as a result of a clot in my lower left leg,I had to have the left foot amputated. I'm about ready to begin to see if cycling is an option,I was previously a member of the CTC but after seven years off the bike I'm a bit cautious.Any pointers to the type of prosthetic which is best for cycling.I was supplied with a leg which is held on by vacuum but with two rubber socks there's far too much of a bunch of rubber behind the knee at the top of the cycle. Would a lock and pin system be better?.Any comments or information will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Tigerbiten

Re: Amputee cycling

Post by Tigerbiten »

Hi.
Left above elbow amputee with a bent trike here.
The best advice I can give is have a word with your limb centre and explain what you want to do.
They probably have a good idea what will/wont work and may be willing to build/adapt a prosthetic to a cycling leg for you.
I've one as a very basic cycling arm.
It has none of the extra straps/pullies that are used to work a split hook.
It took me a couple of years experimenting with the harness to get one that's comfortable for all day cycling.
Plus it's a couple of inches longer than my standard arm as the extra length helps me turn right.

Luck .............. :D
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

CHAPEAU!!!!
I have seen similar amputee --lower left leg--completing L'Etappes and PBP.
You will get there!!
Even if it means some extra teeth-marks on the handlebars!!

Starting and stopping will be a challenge?
Presently its my small "cross to bear"-78, giddy geriatric, fat-ox who doesn't always remember to stop where there is a kerb to get off and back on my bike.

Bonne route.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Within a Facebook group which i administer South West and Wales trike riders, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1669047716480391, we have at least 2 amputees. One has a leg amputated above the knee, the other is a double below the knee amputee, they both ride ICE recumbent trikes with electric assist and cope very well on the group rides.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Hello Bob
There’s a chap in Witney, well known ctc person, who might be able to give advice. Kevin Hickman, is his name and he was a regular rider, even tried a recumbent.
Google him for contact details, as he runs a bike initiative in Witney.
Hope he can answer your questions.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Have a squint at 'On three wheels, my fast forum.'
There's a Contributor on there , Mark S I think, who is a below the knee amputee and I am sure he would share his experiences. I know him casually, nice bloke . I know he changes his prosthetic before he rides.
It's a trike Riders hangout and we do occasionally field queries from the differently able who are considering a trike ( or struggling with one ! )

I used to ride the Track at Halesowen as a kid, one of the instructors had some issue with one if his legs and had a swinging crank (on Fixed of course)