Improving performance…

Benz3ne

Re: Improving performance…

Post by Benz3ne »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 12:47pm What benefits do you expect that to bring?

Thanks

Jonathan
Improved recovery times/reduced overall muscle fatigue. If I have a regular cycle my body can just about cope with it. With a harder cycle I'm usually spent for a few days afterwards.
I'm perfectly aware that my protein intake is reasonably low at present.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Improving performance ..................

It's been ages since I rode a bike for any hours or any distance.
Last bike ride was 28th July. Even then, my milages have been dropping for weeks and months.

Suffering from Covid?
Weather?
Other stuff to do?

Whatever the reason(s), I'm very much out of practice, and it worries me greatly.
The idea of getting on a bike and pedalling up the hills, feels me with dread.

Back in the old days, I rode and rode and rode. Commuted to work and as fit as a flea.
Left the RN and bought a tumble-down bungalow and put the bike into the loft.
Seven years later, I had a ride, but TBH it was difficult and had to rest every mile or two.
I managed in the end, and rode all sorts of distances and even LEJOG and Back etc etc etc etc .............. you all know what I've done. :D

I can see a repetition happening here, but I'm not getting any younger.
Wish me luck next week ......................
Mick F. Cornwall
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Mick F wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 5:54pm Improving performance ..................

It's been ages since I rode a bike for any hours or any distance.
Last bike ride was 28th July. Even then, my milages have been dropping for weeks and months.

Suffering from Covid?
Weather?
Other stuff to do?

Whatever the reason(s), I'm very much out of practice, and it worries me greatly.
The idea of getting on a bike and pedalling up the hills, feels me with dread.

Back in the old days, I rode and rode and rode. Commuted to work and as fit as a flea.
Left the RN and bought a tumble-down bungalow and put the bike into the loft.
Seven years later, I had a ride, but TBH it was difficult and had to rest every mile or two.
I managed in the end, and rode all sorts of distances and even LEJOG and Back etc etc etc etc .............. you all know what I've done. :D

I can see a repetition happening here, but I'm not getting any younger.
Wish me luck next week ......................
Best of luck to you! It’ll come back to you quickly I’m sure. 😁
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Benz3ne wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 12:44pm
I definitely need to up my protein intake.
+ 1. I suggested it, but I'll agree again :wink: . I've never been a protein fanatic, but my six week program back in May/June really seems to have proved the benefit to me, not just of protein, but quality proteins containing the full range of essential amino acids.

I'd been aware of the quality of proteins containing essential amino acids for years. But somehow never got around to recognizing the fact that my nutritional chart counted protein from all sources, as if it were all equal. . Thus my 150grams of daily protein, probably only contained 80-90grams of "quality" proteins on some days. The speed of effect back in May/June on muscle growth when focusing on quality proteins was remarkable
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Benz3ne wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 6:29pm Best of luck to you! It’ll come back to you quickly I’m sure. 😁
From your lips to God's ears! :D

Seriously though, it's a worry.
Been out in the garden doing some hacking and slashing of the overgrown bushes and hedges. Hard work and I had to finish after an hour.
Took the dog round the woods. We have nearly three acres, and much of it on a hill, and it was hard work too.

Our Covid lockdown finishes at midnight on Thursday.
It can't come soon enough but I'm not fit enough by half.
All I can do, is get out next week, and keep at it, and keep exercising, and keep cycling.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just come in for a sit-down and a glass of water from grass-cutting.
The whole job usually takes about an hour, but I've had to come in after only 35mins.

Knackered. Post Covid is no joke.

Twenty minutes off, and then I'll go and finish the job.
Mick F. Cornwall
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

35 minutes of grass cutting is not to be sniffed at! I've heard of a couple of people struggling post-CoV, so I'm hoping you continue to recover quickly.
My cycle in today was a slower one (I thought). I decided to take it easy but pushed a couple of short sprints on the road while traffic was clear. Managed a couple of segment PB's today which surprised me, and 23 minutes dead for 6.4 miles. Not ground-breaking, but happy with my perceived effort vs my actual output.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Benz3ne wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 12:04pm Managed a couple of segment PB's today which surprised me
Hmm....yes, it's apparent that my speed monitoring computer doesn't adequately account for tyre size variations! Thus my speed on my Giant OCR road bike benefits by always being 3.5% faster! And the journeys are 3.5% longer :lol:

I'll have to ride it more often :wink:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

gbnz wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 2:20pm
Benz3ne wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 12:04pm Managed a couple of segment PB's today which surprised me
Hmm....yes, it's apparent that my speed monitoring computer doesn't adequately account for tyre size variations! Thus my speed on my Giant OCR road bike benefits by always being 3.5% faster! And the journeys are 3.5% longer :lol:

A potential issue with any bike mounted speed/distance recording whereas a Garmin (other GPS devices are available :lol: ) will, in theory, be more accurate regardless of tyre/wheel variances as they are independent of the bike. But of course you knew that right?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Sorry, not sure what happened to the post I'd quoted or my response. Didn't make any sense to me & I'd typed it :wink: (Nb. Thus deleted)
Last edited by gbnz on 11 Aug 2021, 10:08pm, edited 2 times in total.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 10:20am Just come in for a sit-down and a glass of water from grass-cutting.
The whole job usually takes about an hour, but I've had to come in after only 35mins.

Knackered. Post Covid is no joke.

Twenty minutes off, and then I'll go and finish the job.
You take it steady Mick F.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chucking it down out there.
Good job I cut the grass yesterday.

I'm allowed out of isolation as of midnight tonight.
Should I go for a midnight bike ride? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS,
Just had a phone call from "The Covid Police" at NHS Test+Trace, and I'm allowed out of isolation as of this morning.
Off to take the dog for good walk.

I'm going to stretch out and get a good work-out ........ rain or not! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

foxyrider wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 7:53pm
gbnz wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 2:20pm

A potential issue with any bike mounted speed/distance recording whereas a Garmin (other GPS devices are available :lol: ) will, in theory, be more accurate regardless of tyre/wheel variances as they are independent of the bike. But of course you knew that right?
I'm doing mine through GPS, so unless the GPS signal is varying a lot on my regular cycle route, I should be okay! :wink: Thanks for the heads up!