DVT diagnosis

borisface

DVT diagnosis

Post by borisface »

A couple of months ago I was getting a bit short of breath walking upstairs, so I went to see the nurse at health centre. After initally thinking that the shortness of breath might have been covid. She took my BP and it was 155/109. She told me to lose some weight, cut down on alcohol, salt and sugar which I have done. Around about this time, might have been before or after, I honestly can't remember I had quite a severe night cramp and at some stage, again can't recall if this was before or after, I noticed that I had a pain in my left calf that felt like a muscle pull and some swelling. It wasn't really getting any better, although no worse, so about 5 weeks ago I went back to the health centre and saw the Doctor. Rather unexpectedly, he said it looks like you might have a thrombosis and called an ambulance to take me to the hospital, where they diagnosed a thrombosis in the vein that runs behind the knee. All a bit of a surprise. They put me on 30mg of rivaroxaban for 3 weeks and now I'm on 20mg once a day and a fetching surgical stocking. The swelling has reduced considerably but not entirely gone away. I have a follow-up appointment at the end of August with the hospital and a referral to a hemologist the week after.

I started doing a bit of cycling only 10 miles every day on my ebike, keeping the gears low and not putting too much torque through my legs. Yesterday I did 15 miles and overnight and this morning my calf felt quite sore. Is this normal? I've been wearing my surgical stocking on the bike - is this the right thing to do?

I've also been doing 4-5, 5-10 minute walks a day and about 400m gentle swimming a day. I've also lost almost two stone in weight and my bp is now around 110/75. I'm 53 with no other health issues and feel fine although I do get a bit tired now and then.

Is there anything else I need to be considering?
st599_uk

Re: DVT diagnosis

Post by st599_uk »

Having had 2, the second of which moved during exercise to become a Pulmonary Embolism, I'd recommend caution until you've chatted to the doctors. The clotbusters take time - I think my first took 4 months+ to clear fully.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
borisface

Post by borisface »

st599_uk wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 11:59am Having had 2, the second of which moved during exercise to become a Pulmonary Embolism, I'd recommend caution until you've chatted to the doctors. The clotbusters take time - I think my first took 4 months+ to clear fully.
Eeek! that's more than a bit scary. Did you experience any discomfort whilst walking/cycling?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I strongly suggest talking to the haematologist whom you're going to see. You can probably do that by email.

And before the appointment I recommend writing down your questions so that you don't forget any.

Jonathan

PS: Congratulations on the downsizing.
borisface

Post by borisface »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:28pm I strongly suggest talking to the haematologist whom you're going to see. You can probably do that by email.

And before the appointment I recommend writing down your questions so that you don't forget any.

Jonathan

PS: Congratulations on the downsizing.
Good idea.

Downsizing was remarkably easy, just eating much less and drinking a pint of water if I feel hungry - getting a potentially life-threatening diagnosis focussed the mind somewhat!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

borisface wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:21pm
st599_uk wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 11:59am Having had 2, the second of which moved during exercise to become a Pulmonary Embolism, I'd recommend caution until you've chatted to the doctors. The clotbusters take time - I think my first took 4 months+ to clear fully.
Eeek! that's more than a bit scary. Did you experience any discomfort whilst walking/cycling?
The first felt like bad cramp. Then it lessened as the drugs took effect (within a couple of weeks it was an occasional niggle, then nothing - but until the scan shows it's clear, be careful)

The second (about 6 years after the first, well after I'd been off the drugs) like a slight muscle tweak, then when it moved, like getting punched in the chest. It worsened over a few weeks until I couldn't walk more than 200m without nearly blacking out.

I would take it easy until the doctor says you're good to go - getting fit is a long term aim, getting rid of the clot short term.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
borisface

Post by borisface »

st599_uk wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 2:01pm
borisface wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:21pm
The first felt like bad cramp. Then it lessened as the drugs took effect (within a couple of weeks it was an occasional niggle, then nothing - but until the scan shows it's clear, be careful)

The second (about 6 years after the first, well after I'd been off the drugs) like a slight muscle tweak, then when it moved, like getting punched in the chest. It worsened over a few weeks until I couldn't walk more than 200m without nearly blacking out.

I would take it easy until the doctor says you're good to go - getting fit is a long term aim, getting rid of the clot short term.
Thanks that's good advice. I'll reign myself back!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I don't think you have to cut out gentle exercise, but I wouldn't go building up distances or heart rates until you've been seen at the follow up clinic. Remember the blood thinners will make you more prone to bruising if you injure yourself and cuts will take longer to stop bleeding. Keeping hydrated is also important.

Write down your questions and the docs answers so you don't forget anything.

Once I got cleared, I took up cycling - it's a fantastic way to get fit (I'm over 20kg lighter) and 18 months later I'm now riding 100k audaxes, am building up to 200k and have been on a few tours with friends. I wear a MTB style helmet as when on blood thinners, bangs to the head are a bad idea and scratches from overhanging branches and the like make you look like an extra from Rambo.
A novice learning...
borisface

Post by borisface »

You sound like you're well on the road to full fitness, that's very encouraging. Thanks.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

When I had mine 4 years ago, I was ordered to to do any exercise for 3 months as the chances of it moving were high. From diagnosis to a semblance o fitness again was @ 9 months. Whilst i've got back to doing centuries and beyond, I still get some swelling and periodically cramps, a recent episode has caused a sprain in my foot!

It literally is your life you are playing with, take things slowly
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

foxyrider wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 9:35am When I had mine 4 years ago, I was ordered to to do any exercise for 3 months as the chances of it moving were high. From diagnosis to a semblance o fitness again was @ 9 months. Whilst i've got back to doing centuries and beyond, I still get some swelling and periodically cramps, a recent episode has caused a sprain in my foot!

It literally is your life you are playing with, take things slowly
Should there be a "not" in there?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Yes - damned phone!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!