Deep breathing after long rides...

nomm

Deep breathing after long rides...

Post by nomm »

occasionally after long rides 100km-200km I get this horrible uncomfortableness when breathing. If I try to breathe deeply its enough to feel very sick. Not quite pain, but an ache/uncomfortable/nausea that is horrendous to experience.

I had it the first time when touring about 8 years ago - I was about 80km into my day, during summer, in Suffolk, the fields were being harvested so there was a lot of dust in the air. I felt unwell and it hurt/uncomfortable/nausea when breathing. I stopped, rested and recovered but felt ill for the days after.

It happens mainly during the summer, I have been tested for asthma which came back as my lungs having a 10-20%+ capacity for my size which is common with regular exercisers and no evidence of any asthma.

GP put it down to exercise induced asthma - prescribed an inhaler, which I use before/after rides. I can't really tell if it helps or if in my head it helps. I have no other health issues and all previous tests/bloods came back with nothing.

I wonder if this is anything else anyone has experienced - I feel my experience is either becoming more regular or I am just doing more regular longer KM rides?
Last edited by nomm on 1 Aug 2021, 8:31pm, edited 2 times in total.
Audax67

Re: Deep breathing after long rides...

Post by Audax67 »

I get that occasionally, particularly if I've been over a few hills too many. I put it down to rib cage stiffness from being over-solicited by excessive pulling on the bars. Had it this morning, in fact, but an hours' stroll got rid of it. I sometimes feel discomfort setting out, too, which I ascribe to the same thing. Doc thought it might just come from the heart pummelling the inside of the rib cage the day before; his advice was to take paracetamol and forget about it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nomm wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 12:53pmGP put it down to exercise induced asthma - prescribed an inhaler, which I use before/after rides. I can't really tell if it helps or if in my head it helps.
How about buying a peak flow meter and taking measurements when it doesn't happen and when it does, and before and after using a bronchodilator inhaler?

Jonathan
nomm

Post by nomm »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 3:54pm
nomm wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 12:53pmGP put it down to exercise induced asthma - prescribed an inhaler, which I use before/after rides. I can't really tell if it helps or if in my head it helps.
How about buying a peak flow meter and taking measurements when it doesn't happen and when it does, and before and after using a bronchodilator inhaler?

Jonathan
This sounds like effort, but would be interesting to see the results... I like the paracetamol and forget about it approach though :lol:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Not so sure about the deep breathing bit, but I recognise the nauseous feeling, I used to get that occasionally after a big ride, either the same day, or sometimes the following day. I put it down to low blood sugar, because it always went away after cramming a lot of extra calories.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
nomm

Post by nomm »

Audax67 wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 1:26pm I get that occasionally, particularly if I've been over a few hills too many. I put it down to rib cage stiffness from being over-solicited by excessive pulling on the bars. Had it this morning, in fact, but an hours' stroll got rid of it. I sometimes feel discomfort setting out, too, which I ascribe to the same thing. Doc thought it might just come from the heart pummelling the inside of the rib cage the day before; his advice was to take paracetamol and forget about it.
It's a bit like that yes. Like my entire intercostal system is seized. Very uncomfortable. Its not quite a shortness of breath but almost impossible to do a deep breath.

Blood sugars are usually ok, as after many years of riding I learnt I have to snack as I go - thank you top tube snack dispensary unit