Returning to cycling after Achilles tendon rupture

Mike Sales

Re: RTA yesterday. Snapped achillies, any advice?

Post by Mike Sales »

MartinP wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 8:37am and have been shown how to inject a blood thinner (one injection a day for 6 weeks) into my tummy area.

Martin
No advice I'm afraid, but respect for managing the self injection of blood thinners.
I had this course but I was too chicken to jab a needle into my own belly. Luckily I was visiting the hospital daily for other treatment and couuld ask a nurse to do this too. I did accumulate belly bruises!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Colin63

Re: Returning to cycling after Achilles tendon rupture

Post by Colin63 »

I'm 58 and it's over a year since I ruptured my achilles.
With regards the injection of blood thinners I would suggest that you keep in touch with your GP as well as the hospital and make sure that you don't go without thinners for as long as your foot is immobilised. The delay in removing my boot mean't I had a few weeks without thinners and I suffered from thrombosis which spread to my lungs and nearly killed me. Blood clots are a massive concern. Demand thinners until you are certain that your foot and calf muscles are being used again.
As for recovery time. 13 months after my accident I still have a significantly weak left leg. This is a serious injury that takes a frustratingly long time to fully recover from, but on the positive side you can start cycling as soon as your physio tells you and you feel confident. I started to do gentle traffic-free rides on flat ground after about seven months, and within a couple more months I was confident enough to do hilly rides on the roads with traffic. If you can rig up an indoor trainer you can start doing gentle spinning sessions long before the leg can take your weight.
At the time it seems like forever, but you will heal.
MartinP

Re: Returning to cycling after Achilles tendon rupture

Post by MartinP »

Thanks Colin, that's a really helpful insight. I'm still in shock over the seriousness of the injury. Devastated actually. So determined to not be beaten. I have been kidding myself that i will be back on my bike by Christmas.... turbo is a good idea, and will certainly keep injecting the blood thinners until boot is off....thanks again