time to recover after major surgery

Tom

time to recover after major surgery

Post by Tom »

Can anyone advise how long I should take to recover from a major operation,
Last April 7th I had an operation to remove my Bladder and Kidney plus prostate, approx. 4 months ago due to cancer of the bladder Key hole plus robotic assisted.

Due to having to get used to a urostomy bag etc, two things to overcome before starting to try and start slowly to get back to cycling.
One recovery time, for my body, and two do I need to support for the bag.
Sincerely
tom
Jdsk

Re: time to recover after major surgery

Post by Jdsk »

There's now a lot of different types of bags and systems. Have you asked your stoma therapist specifically about cycling and about options?

And have you found a good patient support group?

Jonathan
robgul

Post by robgul »

I have sent you a PM (having been through the same procedure)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Can't offer help regarding urostomy and stoma other than that suggested, but having had a major abdominal op a couple of years ago I would suggest that recovery can take quite some time... all depends on your pre-op fitness of course. I do know it took me 6 months to get back to being to cycle 62miles post op.. but frequently found that being able to push harder on the bike is harder than it used to be. Then I broke my Tibia, so now back to square one!!!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Nealio

Post by Nealio »

I had a similarly big op a few years ago which left me with an ileostomy. On getting back on the bike I would say let your body be your guide. Everyone is different in terms of recovery so do what you feel and see how it goes. Obviously start gently. As for extra support for the bag I don't need it. I empty it before I go out and can always do so again en route but again everyone is different and let your own experience be your guide,see how it goes. You will get there,good luck.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

I had a radical prostatectomy on March 11th this year then collapsed and was rushed to theatre for a laparotomy due to internal bleeding resulting in the loss of 4.5 litres of blood and coming very close to death. I then spent two days in a medical coma and another 3 in intensive treatment before being discharged on March 20th, when I made it out to the car park under my own steam.

I was feeling pretty much normal again (continence issues aside!) after about 3 weeks and I think it was 7 weeks after the first op that I got back on the bike. I'd have been back on it after 3 or 4 weeks had I had something other than prostate removal. After a couple of relatively short rides I felt as good as new and I've been back to 50+ miles a week ever since.