Nutrition - what do you do?

rmurphy195

Re: Nutrition - what do you do?

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have a fruity flapjack from my local bakers in the saddlebag, plus a flask of coffee (I did this a lot during lockdown). Otherwise a pot of tea and a scone from somewhere, often an NT property since I'm a member!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Hobe

Post by Hobe »

I prefer energy bars, especially when I'm on the go. They are convenient and come in various flavors, offering a quick and satisfying snack. Some people also make their own energy bars at home, adding personalized touches such as the delightful combination of lemon honey chicken to have better control over ingredients and flavors.
Last edited by Hobe on 25 Jan 2024, 9:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hobe wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 2:50pm I prefer energy bars. They are convenient and come in various flavors. Some people also make their own energy bars at home to have better control over ingredients.
Home made cycling fuel has many advantages: about 1/5th the price for the same energy; no queer additives, UPF, excess sugar or the nasty chemicals used in cheapest-possible (to the manufacturer) ingredients; no litter-wrapper.

Why does anyone buy the commercial energy bars? Many suggest "convenience" but the above list indicates that there is none as you'll find working 5 times longer for the wherewithal to get the energy very inconvenient.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Home made cycling fuel has many advantages:
Yep.The energy bars have to much sugar and processed fats.They probably cause a sugar spike and diabetes which you do not want.
Apples are good (though even they are grown to be like sweets and have to much sugar.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

On a ride of 2hrs of less I don't bother with anything other than water.

Beyond that, I've been taking water bottles with a mixture of dextrose, maltodextrin, a pinch of salt and then mixed with 30% fruit juice, 70% water. About 230g of carbs per litre.

That takes me quite a long way and will do me for a 4hr ride, if I eat a big bowl of cornflakes (or similar) before setting off.

Beyond 4hrs, I'll take food or stop off for food on the way around. I burn 1000-1100kcal an hour typically, so fuelling is important.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 7 Feb 2024, 8:49am On a ride of 2hrs of less I don't bother with anything other than water.

Beyond that, I've been taking water bottles with a mixture of dextrose, maltodextrin, a pinch of salt and then mixed with 30% fruit juice, 70% water. About 230g of carbs per litre.

That takes me quite a long way and will do me for a 4hr ride, if I eat a big bowl of cornflakes (or similar) before setting off.

Beyond 4hrs, I'll take food or stop off for food on the way around. I burn 1000-1100kcal an hour typically, so fuelling is important.
isn't 1000 kcal an hour very high?
I thought cycling was more efficient than that.
Tho of course I don't know what type of cycling you do.
Where do you get the dextrose from/in what form?
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote: 7 Feb 2024, 2:55pm
Jon in Sweden wrote: 7 Feb 2024, 8:49am On a ride of 2hrs of less I don't bother with anything other than water.

Around a month ago I got myself a heart rate monitor (actually a watch) that broadcasts my heart rate to my cycle computer. Cycle computer (or systems it connects to) give me an estimate of my calorie use - I take it with a "pinch of salt" and never compare their "kcals" to what a Snikkers bar might quote as it's kcals.

Before HR monitor (so based on speed, hills, distance and cadence) my Active calories would be around 30/mile.
After HR monitor added my Active calories is around 20/mile.

nb probably gor Calories, calories and kcals abbreviations wrong but treat everything as kcals.

Important to distinguish between Active Calories and Total Calories, which is appropriate probably depends on what you're doing with the estimate.

Ian
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

Sweep wrote: 7 Feb 2024, 2:55pm
It's fairly high, but it's directly tied to power output. I usually average between 250 and 280w, which is where the figure of 1000-1100kcal an hour comes from. I'm 203cm, 102kg and very exothermic. Consequently, deeply inefficient! :lol: