Blood Thinning Medication & Toenail Loss

NATURAL ANKLING

Blood Thinning Medication & Toenail Loss

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have noticed that whilst on Clopidogrel, which is actually a antiplatelet med,https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/clopidogrel/ I bruise more / takes longer for a bruise to show/ lasts longer.
So I accidently kicked a rock / other whilst walking, later at home large toenail looked Pinkesh.
Seemed ok for a few days then after another walk of 75 minutes my toe was throbbing and darker in colour.
Went to bed a bit early as the pain was severe.
Next morning unbearable so holed the nail to relive pressure :) Instant relief.
I have previously done this on a finger nail and it helps preventing the nail detaching, a recognised procedure.
Unfortunately it was probably too late and nail is still attached after say 4-6 weeks but its not attached to surface of toe just the rear corners, this was the case from a few days after the injurie.
I have trimmed it back a bit and have to tape it before walking / cycling so its not ripped off before it falls off, also its protecting the toe as the new nail grows back.
From previous experience over 40 odd years a new nail takes 6-12 months to fully reinstate to its full form.
Common with persistent effort doing sports especially walking all day with boots.

So about four months ago, my centre toe nail bruised and instantly lifted, its grown back now.
But after a cycle ride of 70 odd miles last week (blame Mick F A38 bridges :evil: :mrgreen: ) the same centre nail is bruised again but still on no pain / not much, then I noticed my other foot centre nail is the same :(

At the moment both OK but I am wondering as I never lost nails running or cycling before even when I have done 160 mile rides even 250 in a day rides, and I am using softish top walking shoes like trainers for an hour or two on easy ground............................it seems that this problem will not go away whilst I am on a blood thinning type med?

P.S. centre nail is slightly proud both feet, but I am using same footwear for last ten years with no problem.
I bleed for much longer than normal, so a small thorn scratch looks like a bad cut when I get home, blood trail goes all the way down forearm, which looks to an onlooker like I have done something serious.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Re: Blood Thinning Medication & Toenail Loss

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend talking to a podiatrist about the bleeds and your foot care and your footwear.

Bleeding events are more common on clopidogrel and I don't think that the effect decreases over time.

The trade name for bleeding under a nail is subungual haematoma: that might help with searching.

Jonathan

PS: It isn't a blood thinner... it inhibits platelet activation, as I think you posted elsewhere. : - )
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 8:27pm I recommend talking to a podiatrist about the bleeds and your foot care and your footwear.

Bleeding events are more common on clopidogrel and I don't think that the effect decreases over time.

The trade name for bleeding under a nail is subungual haematoma: that might help with searching.

Jonathan

PS: It isn't a blood thinner... it inhibits platelet activation, as I think you posted elsewhere. : - )
I put blood thinner in heading as anti platelet sound too tech for us lot :)
I originally thought it was anti coagulant which is wrong (I have posted elsewhere).
Anti platelet is for arteries (my PAD) the other is for veins.....I think?
Thanks.

Shall I talk to GP for referral or go private?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 8:52pm Shall I talk to GP for referral or go private?
I recommend starting by emailing your general practice, or 'phoning if you insist. Referral procedures have changed enormously in the last year and I don't know what you'll be offered... I'd ask how I could contact a podiatrist. All NHS.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Just checking-
2021-09-28_205647.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:
peterb

Post by peterb »

I am on both Clopidogrel and Aspirin. The consequence of even the smallest scratch can resemble a crime scene. Bruises appear readily too. I had 2 teeth extracted 2 weeks ago, at the local dental hospital in case of uncontrollable bleeding. A previous extraction by my own dentist resulted in my having to attend A+E later in the day. Always check that your dentist, surgeon, other health care professional knows you are taking it!
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

peterb wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:58pmAlways check that your dentist, surgeon, other health care professional knows you are taking it!
I used to wear a wrist band when I was on warfarin.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
peterb

Post by peterb »

axel_knutt wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 2:09pm
peterb wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:58pmAlways check that your dentist, surgeon, other health care professional knows you are taking it!
I used to wear a wrist band when I was on warfarin.
Yes - I do - an ice id wrist band https://iceid.co.uk/thin-everyday-running-cycling-id/
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very wise.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My Dentist asked me but he knew already because I'd already told him a week before and it's on my dental records too.
I know that there are problems if you take Clopidogel and aspirin together?
Dentist did warn me that he wouldn't be available over the weekend so I have to probably go to A&E if I Got a problem with bleeding.

P.S.if you pick my phone up you can access my medication record.

But I have been thinking for some time about an ID tag, The bleeding the bruising possibly internal and lack of spleen.