Calf/Ankle/Foot Problem

Nessie23

Calf/Ankle/Foot Problem

Post by Nessie23 »

Looking for help/advice with a foot issue I have. Over several years I have been slowly losing strength in my left foot to the extent that I cannot support my weight when on tiptoe on my left foot. I can stand on tiptoe with both feet and can easily support my weight (96kg) on only right foot. However, if I stand tiptoe on both feet and lift my right leg my left heel instantly drops to the ground.
When sitting I can articulate my left foot in all directions and everything appears normal. I can balance a 20kg bag of sand on left knee when sitting and perform ankle lift reps, so there is some power, just not enough to lift/ support body weight.
I have absolutely no pain or discomfort, it is just that the lack of strength/power in left foot is deteriorating to the extent that other people are commenting that I am limping and I have lost ability to push off my left foot eg when hill climbing and I cannot perform a simple task such as running on spot.
A bit of background which may be relevant is that 10 years ago I had nasty accident with an angle grinder and severed main tendon on RIGHT foot. This was operated on and I did excessive walking (10K steps per day) for about a year after to aid recovery. I suspect I over strengthened right foot to detriment of left and it had gradually deteriorated since then to the point it is very noticeably weak. I have tried all sort of calf strengthening exercises but to no avail. My left calf muscle actually feels noticeably ‘tighter’/better conditioned than my right but there is just no strength/power any more.
Have mentioned in passing to GP over the years but they don’t seem interested. Suspect I need to see a physio but waiting list is enormous. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
Jdsk

Re: Calf/Ankle/Foot Problem

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend making an appointment with your general practice. They might start with a physiotherapist or not. And it might be online.

Jonathan