Creaking neck

rotavator

Creaking neck

Post by rotavator »

I developed a stiff and creaking neck over the summer that I blamed on too much cycling, possibly in the wrong position, and peering over my right shoulder to check on who or what was about to overtake. In mid October I decided to take a break from cycling in part to let me neck recover which it has, almost. I still get clicks and creaks so one question is will these ever go away or are they a part of my slow decline into decrepitude?

After searching the internet it seems that the clicks are caused by gas bubbles in the fluid in the discs between the cervical vertebrae. But sometimes when I turn my head I can feel the stress building up, as if bones are binding, then the lock gives way with a click. So can osteoarthiritis affect the cervical vertebrae? It is currently attacking my feet and hands.

I have bought an adjustable stem to raise the handlebars a bit and will see if it helps with the neck issue when we get some warmer weather. Any other recommendations?
squeaker

Re: Creaking neck

Post by squeaker »

rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:07am Any other recommendations?
Try a recumbent - much more natural position - look at the scenery, not the tarmac in front of your wheel... Or a more upright position plus some neck exercises - discuss with a physio?
"42"
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:07amSo can osteoarthiritis affect the cervical vertebrae? It is currently attacking my feet and hands.
Yes, and it's quite common.

Have you consulted a healthcare professional yet?

Until you have: stay mobile, find a form of exercise that suits you, don't push through pain.

NHS advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/osteoarthritis/

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Some people crack their knuckles. I crack my knuckles, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, hips, pelvis, spine, ribcage, jaw........and neck.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Thanks for the replies. I could try to see my GP but I doubt that I would get past triage. I could see a private physio who has sorted out various problems previously but I doubt that he will be much help somehow.

As for a recumbent, I would have to reduce my fleet to make room in the shed which might be a good idea in any case. Are there any stockists in NW England? No chance in North Wales I guess. I also envisage problems with anti-motor bike chicanes on cycle tracks, fitting it in the car or on a train. Ho hum.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 4:42pm Thanks for the replies. I could try to see my GP but I doubt that I would get past triage.
I wouldn't assume that. And I'd probably be happy with an online consultation.

Jonathan

PS: If anyone's wondering why it's a good idea to talk to a professional... they might not be able to offer much or anything beyond what's available elsewhere for osteoarthritis of the neck, but they'll check your history and ask about symptoms and look for signs and possibly request investigations that exclude other causes.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I used to get that when we had warm up exercises in Judo - there is a rotating the head exercise - I still get the creaks if I do it now but the Judo was more than thirty years ago and my neck is OK.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

rotavator wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 10:07am I developed a stiff and creaking neck over the summer that I blamed on too much cycling, possibly in the wrong position, and peering over my right shoulder to check on who or what was about to overtake. In mid October I decided to take a break from cycling in part to let me neck recover which it has, almost. I still get clicks and creaks so one question is will these ever go away or are they a part of my slow decline into decrepitude?

After searching the internet it seems that the clicks are caused by gas bubbles in the fluid in the discs between the cervical vertebrae. But sometimes when I turn my head I can feel the stress building up, as if bones are binding, then the lock gives way with a click. So can osteoarthiritis affect the cervical vertebrae? It is currently attacking my feet and hands.

I have bought an adjustable stem to raise the handlebars a bit and will see if it helps with the neck issue when we get some warmer weather. Any other recommendations?
Can I ask... have you (to your knowledge) had covid? After I had covid my back became very creaky (and painful). Doc just said "it's Anno Domini catching up with you". I thought that was a bit arrogant and expressed to him that it's happened all of a sudden, taking me from 100mile rides down to struggling with 50 mile rides, and I didn't believe arthritis would come on that suddenly. He clearly wasn't interested in discussing it further as he couldn't prescribe anything (apart from painkillers which I declined) or a hip replacement (which I also declined). I believe the covid's caused it though.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Creaky neck is the first sign that my lower back is on the verge of giving problems. Apparently, according to my physio, when the lumber lordosis gets a bit out of alignment (which it can with muscle spasms) then the cervical lordosis will also get a bit out of line to compensate, as the neck is more delicate it is quite usual that the patient gets discomfort in the neck without feeling anything in the back... or at least that is how it was explained to me.
And MRIs have shown with me that i have lots of probs with lower back, and neck being in good shape - yet it is always my neck that first alerts me that I'm doing too much. My neck will feel like it needs oiling
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I think I had Covid early on, end Jan-early Feb 2020, but was not tested. I had a constant dry cough which was worse at night. Certainly the worst respiratory disease that I have had since I was a child.

My feet started to go wrong in Spring this year and a podiatrist reckoned that I have osteoarthritis but whether she counts as a "medical professional" is another mattter. My neck ached a bit during the summer and got painful in October. Fingers started to ache and click this week. I should emphasise that the aches are mild and transient at the moment and only my toes show visible distortion. Lower back is fine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rotavator wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 6:17pm... a podiatrist reckoned that I have osteoarthritis but whether she counts as a "medical professional" is another mattter.
Definitely counts as a "healthcare professional", and it's a regulated profession:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
https://www.professionalstandards.org.u ... podiatrist

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Joint pain is among the more common things to happen after COVID infection.

There's also a lot of interest in whether the infection can trigger autoimmune diseases. That includes rheumatoid disease/ rheumatoid arthritis but not typical osteoarthritis.

The NHS regional assessment centres for post COVID syndrome/ long COVID are now all up and running AFAIK. Referral is through GPs.
https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/wh ... ong-covid/

Jonathan

PS: MRI gives stunning images of the spine and its joints. The problem is how much the appearances correlate with the clinical effects and the prognosis, and how they affect the choice of treatment.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

rotavator wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 6:17pm I think I had Covid early on, end Jan-early Feb 2020, but was not tested. I had a constant dry cough which was worse at night. Certainly the worst respiratory disease that I have had since I was a child.

My feet started to go wrong in Spring this year and a podiatrist reckoned that I have osteoarthritis but whether she counts as a "medical professional" is another mattter. My neck ached a bit during the summer and got painful in October. Fingers started to ache and click this week. I should emphasise that the aches are mild and transient at the moment and only my toes show visible distortion. Lower back is fine.
I had it in from Dec28th 2019 to about Jan 3rd 2020. Totally knocked out for about 3 days, not eating at all. How do I know I had it? i did suspect (once we were alerted to it), and the earliest I could get a test was July 2020, which showed no antibodies. Having been double jabbed by May 2021, and also taking part in the ONS monthly tests (including blood test) I know I have had antibodies since May. On 4th Sept I tested positive for covid. The symptoms were exactly the same although a lot milder and only lasting a couple of days. In fact the symptoms were so mild I would never had known, but for my Wife getting symptoms and having a +ve test result on 1st Aept. Our Daughter and I both tested -ve on 1st Sept, and then having symptoms on 4th Sept went for testing. Daughter -ve, me +ve. This virus is certainly a mystery. My R big toe has had a click since jan 2020 :( Back is biggest problem though :( , I can 'live' with the toe :)
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

The only creaking I suffer from comes from my bottom bracket :lol:
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

• Every 8 weeks or so I go for a session with a chiropractor - I started to do this some 2 years ago primarily after a small 'off' that wrenched my neck, leaving it uncomfortable and creaking.
  • Apart from releasing the gas bubles in the neck using that 'violent' neck tweak thing they do, which BTW is most effective at easing the neck to the point that it is hardly a worry at all, he also goes up and down the spine to relocate the discs which always seem to need doing
  • It works for me and my particular condition - but might not be for everyone?
The cost is £35 a session reduced to £31.50 'cos I'm ex-armed forces :-)
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey