Aargh! Bitten - Attack of the insects hoards

Graham

Re: Aargh! Bitten.

Post by Graham »

StingBite2001.jpg

I seem to be a bit popular with the insects. Last monday I was riding along a country lane when I felt a sharp sting in my thigh.
I instinctively brushed off something, but never saw what it was as I was busy trying to come to a hasty stop.

Wasp? Horsefly? I don't know, but not only did it leave the distinctive mark in the photo and the hot, turgid, pink rash of cellulitis started to spread down my thigh after 24 hours.

This time* I went to the doctor within 48 hours, recounted my wasp-sting / hospital / intravenous-antibiotics experience, from a few years back, and this time got a prescription for high-dose, oral antibiotics.

A couple of days later, the infection appears to have completely disappeared and the distinctive mark in the photo shows signs of diminishing.

It seems that I will have to be getting myself to a doctor after every bite or sting from now on. Still at least it is not an Anaphylactic reaction

* Previous wasp-sting recounted a few posts above.
skicat

Post by skicat »

Graham, I had a couple of stings last week that looked almost exactly like that, although there was a hard raised lump right in the centre. I garnered mine mowing the lawn, not cycling unfortunately. I've still no idea what caused them but I think it could fly as one of the bites was high up on an arm.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Graham

Post by Graham »

I hope that your stings are not showing signs of infection.

It is a pity that I did not see the perpetrator of my bite/sting because I like to read-up about these things.
e.g. What was the injected substance ?
What effect did it have upon the skin ?
Variability of effects on different people . . . . etc., etc, . . . . .

And just to veer off-topic, a bit, I still have not identified the cause of some (groups of) incredibly itchy bites - mainly on my legs, sometimes torso, sometimes arms.
These ones start as minor itches but develop into major weeping blisters. They keep me awake at night and drive me even more insane than usual.

They are associated with working in the garden in summer if I'm not fully covered up on the feet & legs.

I heard that there are some mites that lay eggs in the skin, which hatch within a few days and start boring within the skin.

Whatever is causing this I now resort to full cover of feet and legs, in the garden, and use 50% DEET.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Graham wrote:And just to veer off-topic, a bit, I still have not identified the cause of some (groups of) incredibly itchy bites - mainly on my legs, sometimes torso, sometimes arms.
These ones start as minor itches but develop into major weeping blisters. They keep me awake at night and drive me even more insane than usual.

These might well be Harvest Mites ( Trombicula autumnalis ).

Fourth one down on this webpage

They got me again this year - quite a memorably bad attack. Straight on to the antihistamine tablets and paint the stylostome ( feeding site ) with "New Skin" or nail varnish.

No secondary infections fortunately.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I did a bit of scything in the garden this afternoon and I have a suspiciously itchy feeling in various places.

Pre-emptive strike & no messing around. I have just rubbed 50% DEET over my whole body and head/hair.

. . . . Trombicula autumnalis. There might be a huge clue there !!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Graham wrote:
Graham wrote:And just to veer off-topic, a bit, I still have not identified the cause of some (groups of) incredibly itchy bites - mainly on my legs, sometimes torso, sometimes arms.

These might well be Harvest Mites ( Trombicula autumnalis ).

Fourth one down on this webpage

They got me again this year - quite a memorably bad attack. Straight on to the antihistamine tablets and paint the stylostome ( feeding site ) with "New Skin" or nail varnish.

No secondary infections fortunately.

also known as chiggers. its the larvae of the harvest mite.

calamine lotion and hayfever pills. they don't carry diseases but its their saliva that causes the inflation If my memory serves, hot showers and wash your clothes to kill off any more.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Graham wrote:I did a bit of scything in the garden this afternoon and I have a suspiciously itchy feeling in various places.

Pre-emptive strike & no messing around. I have just rubbed 50% DEET over my whole body and head/hair.

dilute tea tree oil, add to baby lotion or buy some tea tree wipes. its a repellent but it also soothes the bites.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Thanks. I'll be hitting it/them with Tea tree oil next.

Dunno about washing the clothes though. It might disturb the crusty patina and accumulated stains from dropped food. :wink:
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Graham wrote:Thanks. I'll be hitting it/them with Tea tree oil next.

Dunno about washing the clothes though. It might disturb the crusty patina and accumulated stains from dropped food. :wink:

well they aren't hot or cold tollerant so leave them outside on a cold night or freeze them - you spare lunch will be safe then.

when making up with tea tree you don't need a lot to make up a lotion. and its cheaper online by the big bottle.

its also good for dandruff as its antifungal, a couple of drops on wet hair rubbed in.

you can also treat with garlic as it is antibiotic.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

My guess for the culprit is a flower bug. Strangely, few people seem to know about them but they can give a painful bite that can lead to a large itchy, patch that can spread over a few days. The bites can be slow to heal. The bugs themselves are small, just a few mm, and are easy to miss. The first you know is that they are biting you.

I get bitten when cutting my hedges or otherwise near vegetation. A vegetated towpath would just be the right place for them

Flower bug pictures/bite images here https://www.google.com/search?q=%22flow ... 20&bih=885

See also https://www.pestium.uk/bedbugs-bites-st ... lower-bug/
geomannie
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

mill4six wrote:Well it did swell in the end, halfway to my elbow :shock: Managed to find some anti-histamine pills but it's sore this morning. I don't think it was a killer hornet since I'm still very much ali

I was stung by a wasp last month. Got a bad reaction like that. Initially hot and then hard. I took anthistamine tablets and creams. I also used ice to cool the swelling. Took about 10 days to fully go. I do have a tendency to be affected by insect bites and have on occasion gone to the GP when they have been on my abdomen. GPs can prescribe some serious strength antihistamines if they consider it needed. They can also watch for infections requiring antibiotics. Hope you are recovering!
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

+1 for Tea Tree Oil. Never thought of diluting it with baby oil but will try that. Dab it on to tick bites also which seems to work after removing the tick of course. I have deer (vermin ) in my garden so ticks are prevalent and have to be constantly on the alert.
Graham

Post by Graham »

The boring chiggers / harvest mites are having a mighty feast upon my tasty body, this year.
Despite smearing DEET, citronella, tea tree oil, in various combinations.

Gardening activities suspended until the overnight frosts set in.

Just as I think it/they have gone the next bites appear.

Antihistamine tabs & creams : this is getting a bit mental.

Graham wrote:I did a bit of scything in the garden this afternoon and I have a suspiciously itchy feeling in various places.
IanH

Wasp Sting - whole body itchiness!

Post by IanH »

Out on the road today, a wasp inserted itself between the slats on my cycle helmet. Despite my best efforts - emergency stop and helmet removal – I was stung on the top of my (bald) head! The pain was quite severe, but bearable and I was home within 20 minutes. As I approached the house I realised that I had an intense need to itch my groin, both sides! I entered the house and rushed upstairs to remove my cycle shorts and deliver an essential (although not recommended) scratch. I then realised that my armpits also required my immediate similar attention. A hot shower seemed to relieve the symptoms although it may just have provided a distraction.
I have since researched my symptoms:
https://www.healthline.com/health/wasp- ... naphylaxis
and discovered that itching in areas of the body not affected by the sting is a symptom of an allergic shock following a wasp sting.
Fortunately my symptoms soon disappeared and all is now well. For a short while however I was quite scared, mostly because I had no idea that this could occur!
Jdsk

Re: Wasp Sting - whole body itchiness!

Post by Jdsk »

I agree with your interpretation.

NHS advice:

Insect bites and stings
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/insect-bites-and-stings/

Anaphylaxis
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anaphylaxis/

I suggest buying some over the counter antihistamine (if there isn't any in the house) and talking to your GP tomorrow.

Jonathan