What's your resting heart rate?

bigjim

Re: What's your resting heart rate?

Postby bigjim » 1 Jan 2015, 2:48pm

Went for an op on my elbow a couple of years ago. The Triage nurse gave me a resting rate of 52. I'm in my 60s :( .
When I came out of the op the recovery nurse would not let me out of the recovery room as my rate was 46. The Triage nurse came looking for me, told the recovery nurse she was taking me as she was not bothered about my low pulse as "I was a cyclist". Wheeled me away for my NHS sandwich and brew. :)
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 1 Jan 2015, 2:59pm

Hi,
Despite the fact you are too ugly for me to stop and help you :)
Your a cyclist and as such your heart rate shows it.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Just Dreaming..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a Hill...............Somewhere

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Jan 2015, 4:14pm

bigjim wrote:Went for an op on my elbow a couple of years ago. The Triage nurse gave me a resting rate of 52. I'm in my 60s :( .
When I came out of the op the recovery nurse would not let me out of the recovery room as my rate was 46. The Triage nurse came looking for me, told the recovery nurse she was taking me as she was not bothered about my low pulse as "I was a cyclist". Wheeled me away for my NHS sandwich and brew. :)
Mick F wrote:Resting HR ....... forgive me if I'm wrong .............. can only be taken when you are resting.
ie it can't be measured unless you are resting properly, and sitting down relaxing won't do at all.
You have to be lying down and almost asleep. It can't be done in a gym or in the doctor's surgery, it has to be done (perhaps) in bed at home.
How can they tell you your resting HR?
Were they monitoring you as you came round from the op?

If I measure my HR when I'm sitting down and resting, just the mere movement of picking up a monitor increases my HR.
Mick F. Cornwall

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 1 Jan 2015, 6:28pm

Yes you are still plugged in on recovery. Need to see that you are able to be moved and fully out of anaesthetic I presume.
Nothing left to prove. http://adenough1.blogspot.co.uk/

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 2 Jan 2015, 8:32am

Excellent.
That's a valid measurement then! :D

I once went to bed with my Edge 705 recording whilst wearing my HR chest strap intending to upload the data to analyse my HR overnight and hopefully get a meaningful min HR.

Result?
Rubbish! :lol:
The chest strap relies on moisture to make contact. As I slept, my skin dried out and the HR monitor stopped working.

I see the latest HR monitors work through LED and optical sensors to assess the blood flow. They are wrist-worn and seem a much better and more comfortable idea than a sweaty "bra strap".
http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/mio-link-hear ... ist-strap/
Mick F. Cornwall

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 2 Jan 2015, 12:46pm

bigjim wrote:

Yes you are still plugged in on recovery. Need to see that you are able to be moved and fully out of anaesthetic I presume.

A few years back whence returning to my hospital side room after major surgery, the first couple of hours that i could be bothered to look at it (I had much more pressing things on my mind tbh :( ) my heart rate monitor was sitting at mid 30s bpm, I never thought it was an issue as I was breathing ok inbetween the pain & none of the medical staff seemed worried about it.
With my Crohn's my resting heart rate varies massively, I did a check yesterday whilst watching tv and it was 58 there are times when it is much higher especially when I feel totally washed out, often it can take my heart rate a very long time to come back to 'normal' after doing any activities, c'est la vie..