What's your resting heart rate?

cotswolds

What's your resting heart rate?

Post by cotswolds »

I seem to keep reading about examples of cyclists suffering from heart arrhythmias, which makes me wonder if I should be bothered about my resting heart rate of 40. I'm respectably fit for my age, but my heart rate seems comparable with an elite athlete, which I certainly am not. I've mentioned it to doctors a few times, and their reaction has always been puzzled or blank rather than interested or concerned.

Anybody else have a low resting heart rate, and has it caused you and problems?
TerryJones

Re: What's your resting heart rate?

Post by TerryJones »

It was mid 40s, but since a lengthy lay off due to a back operation, it has now risen to mid 50s. I've also found my cholesterol level has increased as well as my blood pressure. Not good.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Which type of arrhythmia? Slow beat (bradycardia) is only an issue if it isn't due to fitness surely? My resting rate was in 60's but now I'm fitter it's low 50's. A sudden change fast or slow may have implications and if I had a varying beat pattern (what most people think of as arrhythmia) I'd be up to the hospital but not for a gradual lowering due to fitness. Ask/demand a referral if you are sure something is amiss.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mines 55. My pal who had a 40 resting rate and some arithmia has just been fitted with a pacemaker. There are people around with high cholesterol readings who in all other respects are perfectly healthy. Mine reads a bit high but I am perfectly fit so I recently stopped taking Statins because I think they caused muscular pains and that interfered with my sleep.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Im fairly sure that Big Mig ( Miguel Indurain) had a resting heart rate of 28.

So no worries.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I recently saw the film about Pantani. And jolly interesting it was too. I'd read the book. What I'd somehow forgotten was that the athletes heart rates got down to 35 and below. On the film it showed the cyclists had to go to bed wearing heart rate monitors...and when their heart rates fell to <35 an alarm was raised and the cyclist had to get up to get on a bike to increase his blood flow. EPO was causing blood to thicken for some to die because of cardiac arrest.

At the same time, and as I remembered this film,in walks a cyclist I know of 80+ years standing. He went to his local hospital last year thinking he might have some cardiac problems. Went on an ECG when,laying down and resting,a retinue of doctors suddenly comes into his room to 'resus' him. His heart rate had gone down to 35.He explained he was a 'racing man'. I'm not sure they understood him,or how he obtained his HBPM,but he's still with us now,fitter than me 20 years his junior.

Mind you,Beryl Burton must have had a low heart rate...and she checked out in her 50's,no?
fossala

Post by fossala »

Tested mine a year ago was at around 70bpm. I cycle 30 miles 5 days a week and do 100 miles 2 times a month, must be the drink...
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

I also have a resting hr of ~43. I was worried and got a full cardiovascular medical done and they gave me an all clear. I think some people simply have lower heart rates. It also means my Max hr is not that high either. I'd feel nauseas at ~165 on a bike and ~170 running. Cycling is great for measuring every detail of physical performance. While that continues to improve, I'm not worried!
jezer

Post by jezer »

When I last went to a gym in my mid forties (a very long time ago), I was told my resting HR was similar to someone in their mid twenties. It hasen't been tested since, and now I just get out on my bike and enjoy the ride. If I can keep going a bit longer that's ok my me :lol:
Power to the pedals
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Resting HR ....... forgive me if I'm wrong .............. can only be taken when you are resting.
ie it can't be measured unless you are resting properly, and sitting down relaxing won't do at all.
You have to be lying down and almost asleep. It can't be done in a gym or in the doctor's surgery, it has to be done (perhaps) in bed at home.
Mick F. Cornwall
Chuck Glider

Post by Chuck Glider »

Yep Mick that's about right. I picked up a battery powered oximeter thingy that clips on a finger. Great for measuring pulse when you wake up in the morning.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

jezer wrote:When I last went to a gym in my mid forties (a very long time ago), I was told my resting HR was similar to someone in their mid twenties. It hasen't been tested since, and now I just get out on my bike and enjoy the ride. If I can keep going a bit longer that's ok my me :lol:

The formula for maximum heart rate tells me I must be 21. :wink:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Resting rate is 46. I suffer from bradycardia most of time. Mostly mild but I can often be found leaning on something after getting up.

Recently in hospital for a wee operation to my eyes the nurse took my pulse. It was 52 Eleven o clock in the morning after two coffees and just walked across the room to the seat. Nurse asked if I was an athlete? I replied no just a cyclist :)

What is concern to me is I've never been able to get a high heart rate. It takes a lot of effort to get to 125 and can't hold anything above about 116 for very long at all. In my sixties now but even 15 yrs ago when doing a lot of Audax I used to feel ill above 135.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Paulatic wrote:What is concern to me is I've never been able to get a high heart rate. It takes a lot of effort to get to 125 and can't hold anything above about 116 for very long at all. In my sixties now but even 15 yrs ago when doing a lot of Audax I used to feel ill above 135.

That's exactly how I was, but nobody would listen when I said my fitness was abysmal for the amount of exercise I was getting. Now I have AF, and can't exercise above about 85-90bpm unless I want another ambulance ride. It was mowing the lawn that put me in hospital the last time. My RHR is 40-45, but overtraining is another reason for a low RHR, as well as fitness.

Couch potatoes incur a risk roughly equivalent to that of smokers, so exercise is good for you in moderation, but people with a history of chronic endurance training have a significantly higher risk of developing AF: 1500 lifetime hours elevates your risk by about five fold. My lifetime hours are 8300, in addition to several other risk factors for AF.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As mick says, true resting heart rate is taken when you first wake, while in bed, before any stimulants, early morning brew, moving around etc., it also should be taken when waking is natural and not after jumping around to switch off the alarm.
Mine is often in mid 40's I race at 160-170+
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells