Acid Reflux - Cycling

hondated

Re: Acid Reflux - Cycling

Post by hondated »

Hi again everyone I just thought that it would be courteous to give you an update on my acid reflux as you all have offered me such good advice.
I went to see my consultant last night, at a private hospital but as an NHS patient so a 7.10pm appointment is not unusual, and he told me that yes my stomach is inflamed due to the acid reflux but they cannot tell me why, great.
However I agreed that the daily dose of 30mg Lansoprazole has made live more tolerable and he did not suggest that I should give up cycling so that is good enough for me.
I have also taken some comfort from knowing via this forum and some of my cycling friends that this problem is quite common and its just one of those signs that time is moving on.

Better do that long tour sooner rather than later then.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Well not far short of a year I finally may have the answer to my problem as after various tests my Consultant this evening informed me that I had a hiatus hernia.
As a consequence of me being overweight being 5' 10" - 15st 9ib he has recommended that I take an additional drug as I would need to lose some weight before a surgeon would agree to operate on me. To be told that was horrific as I didn't think I was excessively overweight but having been told that operation or not its definitely less cakes and sweets for me.

Can anyone suggest a sensible diet plan.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

That doesn't sound all that far off my dimensions and they were happy enough to operate on me just before Xmas (no Xmas pud for me!). Hopefully that means that you shouldn't have too far to go before they're happy with you.

I had a couple of different, conflicting pieces of advice from two surgeons - the first said that the operation was unnecessary (omaprazole worked well for my acid, but seemed to upset my stomach somewhat) and likely to not be a permanent fix anyway. The second was all in favour: permanent fix, no reservations.

Both were in the same clinic.

So I went for it and (touch wood) all has been well ever since. Only side effect is an ability to belch pretty much indefinitely.

As for weight loss, I've found a good supply of fruit and veg stops me feeling hungry, and the more I exercise (cycle) the more I crave healthy stuff rather than cr*p. So I effectively eat more to lose weight, go figure.

Lets be honest though, if every time we thought 'I probably shouldn't...', we actually didn't, that'd be 90% job done! [emoji23]
vicky speirs

Post by vicky speirs »

You probably have this sorted by now, but I get uncomfortable acid reflux when cycling but taking one Omeprazole capsule at the start of a long run totally eliminates the problem. Cutting out fatty and sweet foods which create stomach acid also helps but the Omeprazole has been a blessing for me. No need to take long term medication as long as you take the capsule before doing an activity that requires bending a lot as this seems to create reflux. If you eat directly before exercising you are asking for trouble.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

vicky speirs wrote:You probably have this sorted by now, but I get uncomfortable acid reflux when cycling but taking one Omeprazole capsule at the start of a long run totally eliminates the problem. Cutting out fatty and sweet foods which create stomach acid also helps but the Omeprazole has been a blessing for me. No need to take long term medication as long as you take the capsule before doing an activity that requires bending a lot as this seems to create reflux. If you eat directly before exercising you are asking for trouble.

Interesting. My acid reflux isn't particularly related to exercise, it comes on at all times, probably mostly when lying down in bed. If I've forgotten to take the tablets for a while then taking one capsule actually makes the symptoms marginally worse for a while. Then the next day when I take another they go away completely.

Not that I've had any symptoms for a long while as I now always take them every day together with my Statin - but that's another thread ;)
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Omeprazole takes a day or two to work for me too, and ditto lying down is worst - I'm guessing that this is a symptom specific to a hiatus hernia, as reclining allows the acid to flow back into the esophagus. Just guessing mind
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks yet again everyone for some great advice.Our hospital down here as just gone into special measures for not meeting their targets or at least that is one of the reasons but I cannot help but think that they are just using my weight to save money in their budget for surgery.
FUJI AL

Post by FUJI AL »

Mick F wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:When I suffered from this many years ago it was simply due to the wrong diet - whisky, crisps and cheese in the evening. Not affected by cycling.
Beer, fried food, wine in the evening, full stomach ........

Cycling has never affected anything, just diet and lifestyle in the evenings.
Burp. :oops:

I agree totally with this, had my one and only (hopefully) attack in the middle of the night last week, a very scary episode till I could get my breath back to normal.
hondated

Post by hondated »

FUJI AL wrote:
Mick F wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:When I suffered from this many years ago it was simply due to the wrong diet - whisky, crisps and cheese in the evening. Not affected by cycling.
Beer, fried food, wine in the evening, full stomach ........

Cycling has never affected anything, just diet and lifestyle in the evenings.
Burp. :oops:

I agree totally with this, had my one and only (hopefully) attack in the middle of the night last week, a very scary episode till I could get my breath back to normal.

If only ! Today I had to have a CT scan so the problem deepens.
Can you believe I got a quotation to have the HH operated on and they want £6500.
Blimey that's the cost of a very good bike and oh yes even paying for the op is no guarantee the problem would be solved either.