Silly Boy.....Frozen Shoulder

NATURAL ANKLING

Silly Boy.....Frozen Shoulder

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well I think that I may have a frozen shoulder :(
Waiting for the docs opinion...................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Furkuk

Re: Silly Boy.....Frozen Shoulder

Post by Furkuk »

I had that. Rather painful. Had a little operation and it cured it straight away and it's not come back. Hope you get it sorted
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Doc says over the phone frozen shoulder.
Naproxen for two weeks and contact physio.
If naproxen does not touch it then see him.
Had it two weeks now its worse, pain in bed.
Have'nt taken any meds up till now so will see.

The good news is that riding bike was pain free up till today when I am waiting to see if meds kick in.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Still have mine after my accident in July - very painful still. I am doing physio. Cannot lie on my right shoulder. Very painful to reach. Painful through jarring on the bike which means 14 miles is about the limit although I have done more.

I feel a shoulder operation coming on!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Furkuk

Post by Furkuk »

I tried all the physio but I suspect that once it's stuck then it's stuck until the knife releases it. The good news is that the operation is completely pain free and I was able to move it fully within a day or two
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Doc says over the phone frozen shoulder.
Naproxen for two weeks and contact physio.
If naproxen does not touch it then see him.
Had it two weeks now its worse, pain in bed.
Have'nt taken any meds up till now so will see.

The good news is that riding bike was pain free up till today when I am waiting to see if meds kick in.

I assume you are getting Omazeprole [sic] as well.

Good luck with it. I could not get on with Naproxen (for a different shoulder problem). Had to give up having not gone to the loo for a week. And water retention was terrible (I lost 1.5Kg weight in the 24 hours following stopping taking the stuff). And the tinnitus was terrible. I think I just don't get on with the stuff and had to give up after a week. Dr then gave me diclofenac instead - and I've had them sitting in the cupboard for 6 months scared to take them after my last experiences. But then I also don't get on with Ibuprophen - not side effects just that they don't do anything for me.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
If the meds don't touch your pain then nothing over the counter might.
Nothing will touch a tooth problem sometimes too as I found out a while a go.
Had a twisted bowl once, the hospital said the injection would knock out a horse................didn't touch the pain at all.................

The naproxen hasn't worked yet, taken 4 - 5 hours ago :( so its off to the docs for me................................
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I had a frozen shoulder some years ago which came on suddenly for no apparent reason. I needed to get it fixed urgently so went to a physio. He manipulated it (ouch!) and gave me some exercises to do. That one visit was enough to make a big difference but it took about 6 months of doing the exercises before it was completely cured.

It cost me £25 about 10 years ago - IME money well spent.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I had it a few years ago. Doctor just gave me strong painkillers (some sort of hyper codeine) which did not do a lot. Physio etc did not help. I was very fortunate that it lasted only 9 months. 3 getting steadily worse, 3 very very painful and 3 getting better. At its worst it was almost passing out painful. The pain would appear out of the blue as a jolt down my arm, and mobility was reduced to a level that I could not raise my hand to my belt. Fortunately it did not interfere much with cycling, just that a hand signal had to be carefully judged so that I held it for the shortest possible time and then went ouch, ouch, owe it hurts. So, about 5 years on from that I still get twinges but that is all. I am now very careful with my shoulders and aware that the other one is showing slight signs now.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The old-fashioned quote on the subject of frozen shoulders was, 'Takes 6 months to arrive, 6 months to have and 6 months to go away...' which is exactly what happened to me and at least 3 other mates-of-a-certain-age.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Physio says its not a frozen shoulder, as I have too much movement :)

He said that a frozen shoulder can take two years to go :shock:

Anyway its a plain old muscle whatever and has given me exercises.
Told to continue with naproxen by doc and physio for two weeks, I will see after a week :wink:

Actually I do rate modern young physio's, at least all the ones I have seen as they very quickly isolate the problem muscle.
But If you are not disciplined enough to keep it up you can only blame yourself.

Thanks for all your comments.

P.S. Electric shock in the shoulder, I get that on my other arm after cycling for an hour or more, happens when I remount bike for just a split second then does not return (badly located collar bone).
Two dud shoulders................... :lol:
nez

Post by nez »

I've had a frozen shouldersince april before last. It was so bad last November (2013) I ended up off work for 6 weeks. Now I have a lot of movement (19 months in) but still can't really type much. What was disappointing was the medical response which was frankly poor. Eventually I found out what the problem was myself - damaged subscapularis caused by falling off the bike and putting my hand out to save myself. It's difficult to diagnose but actually very characteristic if you know what to look for - a pain on the front of the humerous and where the muscle attaches to the shoulder blade.
After spending a fortune on various sorts of medical intervention and drawing a blank with the gp I cured it myself by buying a £15 book and a "back knobber" stick
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I cured it myself by buying a £15 book and a "back knobber" stick

I have a feeling I may regret asking this but what book, and what is a "back knobbler?"
Beauty will save the world.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I assume it's a knuckle-duster on the end of a stick, like a back scratcher only more so. :D
nez

Post by nez »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physiomed-THE-O ... B0036LQOQE

And

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1572 ... detailpage

It wasn't the first book I bought but it was the best and I found a description of my problem in it, including weird referred pain on the back of the wrist.
Last edited by nez on 24 Dec 2014, 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.