How To Lose Weight

TrevA

Re: How To Lose Weight

Post by TrevA »

Eating plenty of fat and about 50-80g of carbs per day. A typical day would be:

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette cooked in butter with 50g of cheese on top.
Lunch - salad , usually Tuna or Egg salad with natural yoghurt for afters.
Dinner - Grilled chicken with roasted vegetables and more yoghurt.
Snacks - mainly nuts (almonds and walnuts).

I drink High 5 zero on the bike so shouldn't be a problem with electrolytes.

I've gone back to a normal diet replacing the above breakfast with cereals and lunch with pasta.

I no longer get fatigued on rides since going back to the normal diet, but I've stopped losing weight.

On either diet I was having about 2000 calories a day - losing 2-3 pounds a week on the LCHF diet.

I cycle about 120 miles a week.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If I ate 2000kcals a day, I'd be as thin as a rake, and starving hungry.
Out yesterday, I did 75miles at 100ft per mile ......... and used 3,500kcals ............... so I'd be 1,500kcals in deficit.
I tend to do 100miles a week, sometimes more, and as I'll be out riding again Thursday and Friday, I could reach 150miles this week.

2000kcals a day isn't enough for me generally.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

TrevA wrote:Eating plenty of fat and about 50-80g of carbs per day. A typical day would be:

Breakfast - 2 egg omelette cooked in butter with 50g of cheese on top.
Lunch - salad , usually Tuna or Egg salad with natural yoghurt for afters.
Dinner - Grilled chicken with roasted vegetables and more yoghurt.
Snacks - mainly nuts (almonds and walnuts).

I drink High 5 zero on the bike so shouldn't be a problem with electrolytes.

I've gone back to a normal diet replacing the above breakfast with cereals and lunch with pasta.

I no longer get fatigued on rides since going back to the normal diet, but I've stopped losing weight.

On either diet I was having about 2000 calories a day - losing 2-3 pounds a week on the LCHF diet.

I cycle about 120 miles a week.

If you want to lose weight on your current diet, the easiest thing might be to cycle more, but eat the same? Or you could try myfitnesspal or something like that? If you want to try the LCHF diet, I would recommend persisting for another week longer, or working with a dietician, if you continue to have the same problem. The other thing you could try, is increasing calories on the LCHF diet, and then reduce them again when you become fat adapted, and wait until then to lose weight. We are all different, and diet will affect each of us in different ways.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've found that increasing my riding doesn't make me lose weight. Even if I up it to 200 miles a week, it makes no difference. I already use myfitnesspal to track calories.

I'm contemplating contacting a dietician as I find all the conflicting diet advice confusing.
RickH

Post by RickH »

TrevA wrote:I'm contemplating contacting a dietician as I find all the conflicting diet advice confusing.

I've increasingly come to the conclusion that there isn't a one-size-fits-all diet for everyone & that doesn't vary over time.

There seem to have been a number of things - TV programmes & articles suggesting that the microflora (the mix of bacteria that inhabit our digestive system) have a bigger than previously expected influence on our health & wellbeing (I can't find links at the moment but did find The British Gut study trying to identify links if any between gut bacteria, lifestyle & wellbeing - or otherwise).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Interesting thread. Exercise has been mentioned a few times but the dirty little secret is that (on its own) it is a very inefficent way to lose fat. Also, people tend to reward themselves with extra food, easily undoing the benefit of the exercise. How many times have you seen somebody jogging on a treadmill for twenty minutes, then sucking down 200 calories of sugar froma 'sports drink'?

Exercise is great for many things - strength, mobility, cardiac fitness, mental wellbeing etc but it is pretty rubbish for weight loss, as several studies have shown. I am convinced that this is why so many folk start on exercise programmes and abandon them after a couple of months when they see no change in their weight.

I am convinced that diet (not fad diets) is the most important element, unless you have the time and inclination to do a lot of intense exercise - think infantry recruit levels of effort. As a rough rule of thumb, it takes 10 minuts of moderate exercise to burn 100 calories, so It is a heck of a lot easier to simply not eat those 100 calories in the first place if you are trying to maintain a calorie deficit.

I use My Fitness Pal and, although I was vaguely aware of calorific values of certain food before, a few months using MFP was a massive eye-opener. It really doesn't take much to destroy that 500 daily calorie deficit that most people need to lose 1lb a week. I also use a fitbit charge 2 to track activity and calories burned. Yes, it is not 100% accurate but it is plenty good enough for the purpose intended and changes in weight broadly follow how the week has gone in calorie deficit terms.
meic

Post by meic »

Also, people tend to reward themselves with extra food, easily undoing the benefit of the exercise. How many times have you seen somebody jogging on a treadmill for twenty minutes, then sucking down 200 calories of sugar froma 'sports drink'?

Even bigger problem is when people (like me) reward themselves with extra food without doing exercise, I see far more people sucking down 200 calories from a non-sports drink while sat in their car or otherwise very distant from anything resembling exercise.
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

RickH wrote:
TrevA wrote:I'm contemplating contacting a dietician as I find all the conflicting diet advice confusing.

I've increasingly come to the conclusion that there isn't a one-size-fits-all diet for everyone & that doesn't vary over time.

There seem to have been a number of things - TV programmes & articles suggesting that the microflora (the mix of bacteria that inhabit our digestive system) have a bigger than previously expected influence on our health & wellbeing (I can't find links at the moment but did find The British Gut study trying to identify links if any between gut bacteria, lifestyle & wellbeing - or otherwise).

This sort of thing? https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -and-thin/

TrevA wrote:I've found that increasing my riding doesn't make me lose weight. Even if I up it to 200 miles a week, it makes no difference. I already use myfitnesspal to track calories.

I'm contemplating contacting a dietician as I find all the conflicting diet advice confusing.
Using a dietician is probably good idea. I would try to get a recommendation from someone.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Eton Rifle wrote:

Exercise is great for many things - strength, mobility, cardiac fitness, mental wellbeing etc but it is pretty rubbish for weight loss, as several studies have shown. I am convinced that this is why so many folk start on exercise programmes and abandon them after a couple of months when they see no change in their weight.

Exercise works pretty well for me. If I were to up my mileage from 120 to 200 each week, I would notice the difference. My diet is fairly healthy, though.

I have been heavier, and I gained almost two stone with my first pregnancy. I completely failed to lose that with diet. It's the only time in my life I've tried calorie counting, and I found it frustrating in the extreme. I was playing women's football at the time. I added a one-hour gym session, and a couple of hours each week of running, and started cycling to & from football training, and then I lost the extra weight okay. I didn't gain so much with my second pregnancy, and I was back on the bike 6 weeks after having the baby, having learned the lesson from my first pregnancy.

I think that most people will get the best results with a combination of diet and exercise. Our metabolisms tend to adjust to a lower food intake over time, which makes it harder and harder to lose weight. Exercise keeps the metabolism going.

Our bodies have a natural weight, which our metabolisms gravitate towards. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/

That can make it harder for some people to lose weight.

Lastly menopause & andropause can cause weight gain and difficulty losing weight.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

When i was struggling to lose that bit extra a few years ago, at the same time I was talking to a coach about improving my racing times, I subsequently started riding my longer rides at a slightly higher heart rate than I had been doing 130-140 instead of 110-120 ish.... this increase while watching intake helped rather than more miles at the same slower pace... if that makes sense.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Blimey.....If I did turn the pedals at all at 110-120 I would be asleep for sure.
But we are all different of course.

Even though I have got my weight under control I am desperate to shake the last 4 kgs or so, my late entry into sportive land means I am now travelling with little or no kit compared with spending the last seven or so years with panniers :?
I can see myself busting a gut trying to keep up with lighter bikes not held back by 35 mm tyres and not official entry which means cycling to and from the ride along with a ruck sack for my sarmies and carrying extra fluid too :lol:

Been reading a bit about Wiggo - Froomy - Domoulan and their diets :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
david7591

Post by david7591 »

How to lose weight? Move to the Moon :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

david7591 wrote:How to lose weight? Move to the Moon :wink:

:lol: I think it's safe to assume that those who want to lose weight, also want to lose mass.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Froomey seems to favour LCHF when training but eats carbs when racing.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

TrevA wrote:Froomey seems to favour LCHF when training but eats carbs when racing.

he needs to but he stays Fat adapted, also check out Romain Bardet and VEspa ... Fat adaption stays with you a month at the time and when he finishes tours they go straight back to Keto

OK this is my story bare with me.

Last year I did the Marmotte in 11 hours and whilst in good shape fitness wise was 95kgs. On this ride I roomed with a guy who was Keto adapted and he told me so much about this.

Please read this book by Phinney and Volek, it will change all your thinking.

http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/

So when I got back I went into LCHF/Keto and took between 6-8 weeks to get through the adaptation, a previous posted said after 3 weeks he struggled, he will ... change of course at the start of the off season. Over the month I lost 12-14kg a bit of power but my FTP ratio went up ...

So where am I now ...

- can ride 4-5 hours fasted at decent power
- eat 2500-3000 calories a day 75% fat 15% protein rest carbs
-weight has stabilised despite doing 200 plus miles a week
- took part in numerous sportives
- completed the dragon devil in 13 hours (despite wind in the face for last 100km) and what did I eat - 4 eggs and butter for breakfast and a bag of jelly babies during the ride. I finished 192 of 500 starters.
- recovery far better, cadence has shot up from avg 75-85 so aerobic system massively improved.
- changed to MAF method where you do the 80% of training at Z2 HR or below
- Will be going back to do the Marmotte next week and hope to take 2 hours off.

Pics below - one of me in the marmotte last year one on a 150 mile ride 3 weeks ago, take a guess which is which

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/pics- ... ?u=ianrobo

Basically you do not ride to lose weight, that's wrong, you ride for fitness, you eat properly not to lose weight. If you really think eating pasta and carb loading is the way to go that's your choice but eventually it will pay back on you.