How To Lose Weight

al_yrpal

Re: How To Lose Weight

Post by al_yrpal »

5 2 is useless long term, like all fad diets. It doesn't retrain your eating habits. If you want to stay slim you have to do something that reforms your eating and exercise patterns.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I couldn't disagree more. 5+2 is SO effective that it's being rolled out to GP practices as an alternative to pre-diabetes medication. It's possible (though by no means guaranteed) means of reversing type 2 conditions. By your previous posts your clearly 'have it in' for Dr Mosley. Maybe that's something you should address. There are over 25 clinical trials in the UK focusing on fast dieting not only for weight loss but also lifestyle change, and ultimately extended longevity.

It's not a good idea to rubbish a lifestyle change when you're clearly affected by some personal issue with the origins. It's no longer a 'diet ' as such but a serious tool in the treatment of obesity. We are currently trialling blocks of 5+2 alternating very low fat caloric deficit regimens with very good results. This is a scientific trial for heart bypass/stent surgery patients, many of whom will have further complications (and dangerously high blood pressure) if they do not reduce their weight significantly. It is not a fad.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:5 2 is useless long term, like all fad diets. It doesn't retrain your eating habits. If you want to stay slim you have to do something that reforms your eating and exercise patterns.

Al

Like eating less,and greatly reducing the amount of processed sugar and overly fatty foods.
I good regular enjoyable exercise plan helps greatly.

I'm really surprised this thread has managed to rumble on for so many pages,losing weight is a simple process that requires change,for good,of the self and the rest of your life,it's only made complicated by those who really want something for nothing.
Such people want to loose weight and carry on the same bad and lazy lifestyle habits,it's not possible.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm not working at the moment, so I'm not getting the exercise of getting to work, and of the work itself. And I have all day access to the kitchen. So I have decided not to eat before lunch, because I find it difficult to stop nibbling once I have started. And I find if I combine this with a brisk 5 mile walk I can get in a morning of weight loss, and only the rest of the day to take care of.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:I'm not working at the moment, so I'm not getting the exercise of getting to work, and of the work itself. And I have all day access to the kitchen. So I have decided not to eat before lunch, because I find it difficult to stop nibbling once I have started. And I find if I combine this with a brisk 5 mile walk I can get in a morning of weight loss, and only the rest of the day to take care of.

Which you could spend cycling :wink:
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Passions get aroused so often, in a debate like this one - no surprise there! After all, for some people, sadly, it is a life-or-death matter. Speaking for myself, I'm totally undecided about formal diet strategies.

One thing that turned up intrigues me. On last night's TV, I watched a programme titled "The Truth about Fat" (for those who weren't sitting through that boring old politico's slanging-match, that is :roll: ). Now, I'm inclined to be a bit sceptical about the veracity of anything put across in a programme with the word "truth" in its title. But anyway, at about 30 minutes into the programme, they demonstrate some of the effect of exercise on the burning off of body fat. It appears that the best strategy is to work out hard for about 2 minutes, rest for 1 minute, then repeat the cycle seven times.

It occurs to me, that's what a moderate cyclist like myself, does. Although I concede that the roads I cycle on in Sussex are mostly flat, that's not exactly true: there are modest undulations even on the level rides. So a cycle ride around here does indeed consist of alternating periods of pushing oneself a bit harder on the 'ups', followed by a spell of relaxation freewheeling on the 'downs'. Hence, cycling appears to be an effective way of burning off body fat. :)

Or is there a flaw in this argument?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What never fails to amaze me is how my metabolism speeds up when I exercise,and can slow to a crawl when I don't.
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

One thing that bothers me about intermittent-fasting strategies such as the 5:2. There is no clear evidence that practicing Muslims lose weight during Ramadan, at least not amongst Muslim people I have known. In fact, a google search suggests quite the reverse, that they are more prone to gain weight during the month. But they are going through an intermittent fasting regime, albeit on a different time scale. So in what way does 5:2 work, whilst Ramadan doesn't have this effect?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

According to Wikipedia they only fast between dawn and sunset. At night they can make up for it: "Food and drink is served daily, before dawn and after sunset."
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

LollyKat wrote:According to Wikipedia they only fast between dawn and sunset. At night they can make up for it: "Food and drink is served daily, before dawn and after sunset."

Of course it depends on what time of the year Ramadan falls - and whether you live in the northern or southern hemisphere! I remember a colleague bemoaning his lot when Ramadan happened to occur in high summer - left him very little time for his Iftar meal. I suppose he gorged himself at 11pm nevertheless - and failed to lose weight!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I hadn't thought of that. Do you suppose you can get a special dispensation if you live in, say, Iceland? :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

LollyKat wrote:I hadn't thought of that. Do you suppose you can get a special dispensation if you live in, say, Iceland? :lol:

The inhabited areas of Iceland are all below the Arctic circle, so they never get a 24-hour daylight. However, my sympathy goes out to any living in Tromsø - or Murmansk.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It seems to me that most people who are a bit fat are eating just a bit too much each day. Maybe 10% more than they need, or something like that. And if that is correct, all they need to do is continue eating the same stuff, but reduce portions by the right amount. So cut that slice of cake just a bit thinner, have two biscuits instead of three, and so on. This "diet" has the advantage of allowing you to eat exactly what you already like, but with a little bit of moderation. It sometimes works for me, when I'm in the right mood.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

That's pretty much what I'm trying to do at the moment. Eating what I usually do (within reason) but smaller amounts. Lost about 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

'Dr' Moslys 'evidence' doesn't add up. I don't have it in for him. The NHS website doesn't recommend fad diets either. Neither do the Governments experts at Oxford or the folk at Newcastle. I hope the trials prove something and I hope they include evidence of change of participants long term eating and exercise habits and not just weight loss figures

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......