How To Lose Weight

Valbrona

How To Lose Weight

Post by Valbrona »

I should coco.
Bikefayre

Re: How To Lose Weight

Post by Bikefayre »

Lose weight? Simple eat less, pedal heavy bikes preferably with a single speed-easy!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Simple perhaps. Not easy ;)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well my mantra is one slice of toast and jam no spread and one cup of coffee in the morning.
Then Its 2 hrs 40 minutes on a 50 Ib MTB on off road at above 80 % average of max heart rate ..........simples.. :)

Two rides this year at 83% & 84 % max heart rate........................ :? Last ride average 157 HR.

I did this all last year and it enabled me to cycle 168 miles in 12.5 hrs with no apparent loss in energy.

Now I know why the training really stuffs me.....................but it works.
I have shed 3 KGS this year..good luck :!:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

Ride more and ride faster :)

That's what I did last year and lost 7 kg :)
beardy

Post by beardy »

SteveHunter wrote:Ride more and ride faster :)

Yes ride more and faster.

Which means a spiral of ever increasing intensity, which most of us can not keep up for long.

I cycled the same distance last year as I did in my first year, in my first year I lost 6Kg and in my last year I gained 6Kg.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bikefayre wrote:Lose weight? Simple eat less, pedal heavy bikes ......
Yep.
Simple.

Output greater than input will cause a weight loss.
Maybe simple, but not easy.

I love my food, I eat what I want, but I have an active lifestyle and cycle up to 100miles a week in a hilly county. My weight has stabilised at 12st. I could lose lots if I ate better and less, and gave up on the beer and wine .................. but I'm happy in my skin and have no want or real need to lose any weight.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

SteveHunter wrote:Ride more and ride faster :)

That's what I did last year and lost 7 kg :)

This may work for some, but as far as I'm concerned it's all a load of *******s.

More cycling will certainly make you fitter, and it may inspire more motivation to manage your weight and your food intake, but it won't of itself make you lose weight.

A combination of a sensible level of cycling, within your normal capacity (obviously that will vary from one person to another), along with sensible diet management (ditto), that's what will do it for most people.

I signed up for Weighwatchers at the beginning of the year. I'm not really sure if it's the right course of action for me, the organisation seems somewhat competitive and target-oriented (not to mention expensive!), but having passed my 'bogey' threshold of 100Kg (BMI = 33 for those who believe in BMIs), despite having kept up my level of cycling, I felt I ought to do something. And after all this is the traditional time of year for 'doing something' is it not? If only to enable me to (a) tie my shoelaces without the heavy breathing act, and (b) pant my way, without getting off, up a minor undulation that I call a hill but any other cyclist wouldn't even notice..... :(

Anyway I weighed myself today at 97.5 Kg. This may be a random fluctuation, but it's a fluctuation in the right direction! :)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Post by beardy »

I find the same thing but just think we would probably be more overweight if it wasnt for the little* cycling that we do.

The post about cycling more and faster is correct, we are cycling in a steady state which our diet can cope with and leave enough to store for the future.

*This is all relative, 5,000 a year at a sedate pace would have me putting on weight easily enough.
PH

Post by PH »

The only way is a change in lifestyle, says someone who needs to loose 20kg :oops:
I can and have done various things to successfully loose weight, but because I end up back to doing the things I've always done, the weight comes back.
IME loosing it is dead easy, calories in less than calories out, cycling, gym, walking, diet. Adapting to a lifestyle that supports and maintains that is something I've struggles with for 20 years, when my lifestyle changed to what it is now.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Healthy living is built on a tripod of healthy eating (not dieting!), sleep, and well planned exercise. Just going out and cycling will not burn excess fat, though you will get fitter, past the initial benefits gained as adaption to the exercise will stop the body gaining much from it. This is why gym routines have something that increases (weight, reps, intensity, etc).
beardy

Post by beardy »

That sounds like we are condemned to endless hard effort.... or starvation.

You could almost be tempted to resort to medical intervention.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The opposite problem.
One of my club mates, aged I'd guess 35 to 40, is skinny but certainly not ridiculously though to my mind. He finds it impossible to put weight on. His doctor has told him to stop cycling. Now this chap only ever races and trains to race, so you or I might think he can slow down a bit and ride for pleasure rather than competition. However, he has decided that the doctor means absolutely all cycling must stop.

For me - on the original theme of riding before eating - I regularly (at least once a month and almost daily when on tour) ride 25 miles before having a light breakfast. I cannot say it has reduced my weight at all, but I guess you need to do it more regularly and ride as if "training" rather than just going out for a short ride.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

beardy wrote:That sounds like we are condemned to endless hard effort.... or starvation.

You could almost be tempted to resort to medical intervention.

No, it just means eating healthily most of the time, and getting reasonable exercise. It's one thing to have a piece of cake with lunch on the Sunday club run, and quite another to have a piece of cake with every meal.

Many people seem to think that it is just burning more calories than we take in. Whilst that is basically true, our bodies are all different and quite complex. And our metabolisms are capable of adjusting to the amount of food we intake. That's why when we first reduce calorie intake, we tend to lose a fair amount of weight, and then it gets harder and harder.

Some people find that varying their calorie intake and/or exercise every two or three days helps to combat this problem. Others completely change their lifestyle and eating habits.This is also one of the reasons that many diet plans fail. There is a lengthy discussion about member Gearoidmuar's approach viewtopic.php?t=83408
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
beardy

Post by beardy »

That doesnt really fit with what Honesty posted. Or what some of us are claiming is happening to ourselves.

There is a thought here that your body will adapt to a constant level of exercise and still mange to store something away, meaning that you must forever increase your exercise and never just have a reasonable steady state.

I reckon it is somewhere between the two. You can raise the threshold of exercise at which you will put on weight but not forever. In my case it is I think because I knock out large mileages on a few rides and sit around all the rest of the time. One day of riding (no matter how long) can not compensate for six days of sloth.