Hip replacement

reohn2

Re: Hip replacement

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks for taking the trouble Mick,Harold sounds like an interesting chap,I'm glad to read the one replacing his fail hip replacement has turned out OK :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

I had a total hip replacement in March 2013, I was back on the bike after 7 weeks ( it could have been sooner but I had to get cleared by the surgeon first ). Have now done just over 5000 miles since then, absolutely no problems. I saw the hospital physiotherapist who gave me exercises to do at home which I did faithfully. Can honestly say I didn't have any pain on exercising. Good luck with your op.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nickodemia wrote:I had a total hip replacement in March 2013, I was back on the bike after 7 weeks ( it could have been sooner but I had to get cleared by the surgeon first ). Have now done just over 5000 miles since then, absolutely no problems. I saw the hospital physiotherapist who gave me exercises to do at home which I did faithfully. Can honestly say I didn't have any pain on exercising. Good luck with your op.

Thanks for that,much appreciated :)
W H Auden
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Mick F wrote:I had a quick chat with Harold - the man with three hips. :lol:

r

Now there's a man deserves a good cheer for his perseverance: hip hip hip - horrah :) I'll get my coat and see myself out ......
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
colin mitchell

Post by colin mitchell »

Hi I'm 70 and mine became so bad last year I was unable to get onto a bike without a large step and eventually had the operation on 1st August last year. I was up and about in no time and crutches away 2 weeks stick shortly after. back on the bike within the month. It was more in the mind than anything. Didn't do much in January as weather bad and had bad cold but riding regularly and can not see anything that would restrict mileage. Good luck.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin mitchell wrote:Hi I'm 70 and mine became so bad last year I was unable to get onto a bike without a large step and eventually had the operation on 1st August last year. I was up and about in no time and crutches away 2 weeks stick shortly after. back on the bike within the month. It was more in the mind than anything. Didn't do much in January as weather bad and had bad cold but riding regularly and can not see anything that would restrict mileage. Good luck.

Thanks for that Colin,mine's not quite that bad yet but it's getting very painful at times.
W H Auden
bikercolin

Post by bikercolin »

I have worked in and around orthopaedics for several years and have seen many differences in rehab. Ask your Surgeon which type of replacement he is using. There are several different types available, some may better suit cycling. Anecdotally the patients who appear to do best after this surgury are those with a good level of fitness, strength and range of movement. It's well worth considering regular swimming.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bikercolin wrote:I have worked in and around orthopaedics for several years and have seen many differences in rehab. Ask your Surgeon which type of replacement he is using. There are several different types available, some may better suit cycling. Anecdotally the patients who appear to do best after this surgury are those with a good level of fitness, strength and range of movement. It's well worth considering regular swimming.

Thanks for that informative reply,I'll certainly look into it.
W H Auden
andycharlton3460

Post by andycharlton3460 »

Hi. My dad has had 3 hips replaced. (One twice, he hasn't got 3 legs.) He's 84 and still plays golf 3 times a week.
I don't know if this is still applicable, but when he had his first one done, he was on a waiting list if 18 months. He found out that if you are prepared to go anywhere in the Uk at 24 hours notice, this means you will get offered cancelled appointments and pretty much halves the wait time.
andycharlton3460

Post by andycharlton3460 »

Also, he has a serious issue with blood and body parts. For his first one he wanted to be knocked out completely, but the anaesthetist asked him to have regional anaesthetic, which meant he would be awake all the way through. He accepted on the basis that at any point he would be put under in seconds if he asked. He found it so much better than previous ops when he had been under, that he specifically requested it the next 2 times.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Praying my recent awareness of my current hip ache,is just that,an ache,and doesn't progress....

Maybe sometime back, but some hips were getting better reviews than others. Think in USA they have conferences on hips and such. At the Grand Festival of Hip Replacement! various companies are there trying to sell doctors their latest hip-gizmos. There's been some documenatries on it and mis-selling by American companies. It can happen that some docs are as vulnerable to sales patter as you or I. Anyways,(and this might be out-of-date)isn't it the Chandley hip(or some-such)that still has the best long term results? I have heard some British surgeons still 'experimenting' with other types...but which,later,aren't all what they're cracked up to be.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

My hip's not been replaced. But if I ever need one, it will be somewhat challenging for them:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByzVNqCc6XQYN053c2sxRmhrMzJyZGV1U2lVZmR5SjRrS1Jv

Did it on a 160k audax five weeks ago. Still not weight-bearing on the damaged leg, the two breaks ought to take about six months to close, not allowed on the bike at all for those six months and probably won't ride for 9-12 months. I might be able to walk in six months though, and I hope to be limp-free in 9-12.

The physio exercises have started small, but they're painful. Some days everything's fine, others pass in a haze of pain. Sleep is hard, I'm getting no more than an hour at a time, usually twice each night and a nap mid-afternoon.

An elective hip op shouldn't be anywhere near as traumatic, but still not to be embraced IMO.

What surprised me was how quickly they got me out of bed after the op and demanded that I be mobile. The leg has had to be worked from day one, and the knee more so. Got over 90 degrees of movement in it already, though. No cast or other support - the rod is supposed to do all of that.

The other surprise was how quickly I lost muscle-mass from BOTH legs. They went from being the typical cyclists' thighs, with big bulges around the knees, to looking quite weedy in the space of a week. Except the one that had been operated on - that one was horribly swollen for that first week. But it now looks stick-thin.

Why couldn't I have simply broke my wrist/collar bone?