knee arthroscopy

tyreon

knee arthroscopy

Post by tyreon »

Comments and experiences wanted please.

Continue to suffer from systemic arthritis,and am on medication for it. For some years my knees have become increasingly bad: it's not cycling,but the pain that comes after it that bothers me,especially at night. I have swollen tissue about both knees++

Have you had knee arthroscopy,or knee replacement? How did you get along after the surgery? What about family and friends? Their experience?

I would have thought some considerable amount of cyclists might have knowledge or experience of KA. I would have also thought many ex-footballers. Also,after our involvement in NI, I thought our surgical procedures had improved 10x2. Right? No?
georgew

Re: knee arthroscopy

Post by georgew »

I've had a few arthroscopes and the results seemed to vary according to the surgeon involved. In the best cases I had no pain or swelling for almost two years and in the worst it made no improvement at all.

My wife had a knee replacement approx four weeks ago. She was out of hospital after two days and is now walking around with the aid of a stick. I'm impressed at he rate of healing given the radical nature of the operation but as for the flexibility attained, I'm aware that cycling would require a knee articulation of 90 degrees which is of course more than that needed for walking.
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

My wife had a bucket handle cartilage tear repaired. She walked out of the hospital and spent 8 weeks using an exercise bike to rehab. At first it was a rocking motion, she couldn't manage a full revolution but she progressed, adding resistance until she felt ready to get back on the road and even resumed running. Now you wouldn't know she'd had it done but I am absolutely certain this is because she stuck at the rehab so diligently.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Thank you both for the replies.

Now,anyone else with knowledge or experience of above?

I guess I'm hoping that the pain I get just goes away!! From time to time I wear a knee support compression thingame-job.

I see the arthroscopy is like a look-c with a camera job. But it can also mean some minor surgery with some cutting/sucking stuff.

I also thought there be some ex-army lads having had it dun: you know,having carried all their stuff yomping with great rucsacs. Or runners.

Anyways,the above two commentators aren't replying with had 'arthroscopy-made-worse' stories.
Flite

Post by Flite »

I've had knee arthroscopy 4 times - two each side, over about 25 years.
Each was to trim a torn medial cartilage (damaged by running and/or heavy physical work), and wash out the debris.
Day surgery - walk in, walk out. Stuck carefully to the rehab each time, plus extra advice from local physio, and all was well.

However, I don't know if arthroscopy would be at all effective for arthritis which is a totally different problem.

Have you seen a physio?
They may be able to use something like ultrasound to reduce swelling, and/or advice exercises to strengthen the muscles supporting your knee.
(extreme boredom warning...)
531colin

Post by 531colin »

100% successful arthroscopic tidy-up of torn medial cartilage. Thoroughly recommended.
Arthritis is much more complex than a simple cartilage tear, there can be extensive damage to the joint, in which case the outcome is likely to be less favourable.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

First,thanks for replies. Much appreciated.

Next. I went back to some recommended physio exercise for my quadriceps. They are so boring...but they do seem to have helped. A lot. I now just gotta keep replicating all of them...on a continual basis.

I hope to avoid any invasive surgical procedure for as long as possible. Or until it's necessary.

It would be nice to be 20 again!