Cross(cut)training

cyclop

Cross(cut)training

Post by cyclop »

Anybody out there have any unusual alternative exercise off the bike?Since getting a woodburner,mine is sourcing,transporting(wheelbarrow),cutting ,splitting and stacking wood,all by hand i.e.bowsaw.What a nice way to exercise;peace and quiet of the woods or seashore,satisfying ones foraging instincts;real exercise with a point.Strenuous too,try pushing 120lbs up a short grade or bowsawing 15in of oak.Back,arms,core ,legs all get a workout and the end result?sitting in front of your fire burning your own logs,nothing like it.
al_yrpal

Re: Cross(cut)training

Post by al_yrpal »

The village I live in started the UKs first Green Gym. It has now spread countrywide. The concept is working outside as a volunteer on community projects. Some participants are in their 20s others in their 80s. It has been running here since the 1990s I have been out clearing fern and holly from the woods, building paths and deck walkways, clearing watercress beds in waders and all sorts. It was all started by our village GP, a Dr William Bird. DR Bird also started the Health Walks here too and that was copied all over the UK. We are a very fit village, it all continues to this day.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cyclop

Re: Cross(cut)training

Post by cyclop »

Great idea;our local forestry commision wood is starting to get overun with gorse,wonder if anybody might be interested in clearing.P.S. I do have a vested interest in this as I use this wood to go offroad and punctures have stopped me using some routes.