Too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'

RogerThat

Re: Too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'

Post by RogerThat »

Everything in moderation, except excess :)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

bigjim wrote:My body does not always warm me. If I [rarely] end up riding 80/90/100miles I feel tired but ok. Once I'm home and settled I feel so exhausted I don't know what to do. I don't sleep that night and need a full day to recover.

I recognise the sleeplessness too, but when I over-exercised I used to feel full of energy afterwards as if all fatigue had vanished, and that I could go forever. If I tried to train whilst I was feeling like that, it turned out to be a hollow feeling and there was absolutely nothing there. I didn't know about overtraining then, so I interpreted the feeling of energy as a sign that I was improving, and thought it would last longer if I just exercised harder. It was making me feel unwell, but the doctor had told me to ignore the symptoms and get more exercise, so I thought that I would feel better once my fitness improved. My appetite goes when I overtrain too.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Graham wrote:I was half-listening to Radio 4 when there was a a short summary/review from the "More or Less" about this research.

My vague recollection is that study sample was such a small group that the widely published headline was extremely dubious.y.

Agree, though, aware of this potential weakness they did refer to an earlier study on

Wait for it

Mice :)

I do though think that cycling is better than jogging.
Sweep
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I think it's well known that the amount of exercise required to be an elite athlete; be that a cyclist or runner etc. is not good for the body long term.

But that doesn't apply to anyone here.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Mark1978 wrote:I think it's well known that the amount of exercise required to be an elite athlete; be that a cyclist or runner etc. is not good for the body long term.

But that doesn't apply to anyone here.

:(

You mean turning myself into a finally tuned speed machine is pointless!

I guess I should send back the cape and red underwear......(I'll keep the cape)
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

I've only got three words to say to it: Central, nervous and system.

I worked out jogging is about 4 times harder than cycling. So a 20 mile bike ride is like a 5 mile jog. Thing is you can roll down hills on a bike but you can't do that jogging, urgh, makes me get out of breath just thinking about it, no one needs to be that fit. :lol: Then there's the knee thing. I am all for minimalism but it doesn't extend to jogging, no way, no how.

The only time I ever jogged 5 miles in one go was when I was drunk at 2AM and the taxi I rang never showed up. I remember running, walking, running, walking lol. It was like four HIIT sessions back to back but you don't care when you've had a skinful. Muscles around my ankles were so sore the next morning I could hardly move them.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I tried running once. I gave up after half a mile and walked the rest. Walking on the other hand is great. I do about 5 miles each weekday.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Just finished a book on Karate detailing British Karate participants in the mid 70s,early 80s. This was when a lot of young black guys emerged and threw themselves into the sport gung-ho. I salute you,sirs. Howsoever,don't believe all that Japanese nonsense about overcoming pain and the mind/body can overcome anything. Yes,it may do for a time,but by 25/28 these guys lives were being crippled by past fractures,fatigues and personal breakdowns in family relationships. Age and decreptitude(at 30/40)10,youth and ignorance: 0. Now they're probably on zimmer frames and had umpteen hip operations. Lesson: Play moderation.
PS Not preachin,just reflectin
hodge

Post by hodge »

as already mentioned the radio 4 interview with the writer of the paper revealed the study sample was very small.
Also interesting is, the study did not require the cause of deaths (2 iirc) to be listed, so it is unknown what caused the deaths. They may well have had accidents, cancer, pre disposed genetic condition, the cause of death was not listed.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

hodge wrote:as already mentioned the radio 4 interview with the writer of the paper revealed the study sample was very small.
Also interesting is, the study did not require the cause of deaths (2 iirc) to be listed, so it is unknown what caused the deaths. They may well have had accidents, cancer, pre disposed genetic condition, the cause of death was not listed.

So. Waste of time and money then. What a suprise!
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

bikepacker wrote:Didn't the guy who started the crazy in the USA and wrote books about it, die of a heart attack while out jogging?

Jimmy Fixx, his father had died very young of a heart attack.