Calf soreness during and after cycling

mnichols

Calf soreness during and after cycling

Post by mnichols »

Does anyone know what causes calf soreness when cycling?

A few years ago I hurt my hamstring in the gym after returning from a Raid Alps which took two years to fix properly. My physio fixed it by working on the whole chain from the sole of the foot upwards. The good news is that since then the hamstring has been fine

The bad news is that now the calf on that side gets very sore during and after cycling

I want to get to the bottom of this as I've got lots of plans and some long tours this year

Edit: actually I would say the pain and tightness is not in the belly of the muscle but in the area/tendon immediately lower than the belly but higher than the Achilles
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Calf soreness during and after cycling

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tendonitis.
Had the very same both legs.
Your phisio will give you Achilles exercises for the problem.
Unless your previous problem is exasperated by them :?:
Every cyclist should do them as it keeps the ankles supple, which helps in natural ankling.
If you don't have a Natural Ankling of the feet, where the tendons and muscles running the length of the rear of the leg (calf's and hams) are stifled you run the risk of problems in the biarticular muscle's (calf & hams).
http://hruskaclinic.com/blog/category/a ... fficiency/

Look at -
Cycling shoes that are too tight / laced too tight, includes too thick socks / too much cuff.
Get fit correct by adjusting so you walk out of the shoe on a floor walk (heel slides easily up out of shoe) if this does not happen when you walk shoes are too tight.
Cold feet especially toes, prewarm feet before ride and wear gaiters if necessary.
Hot Foot, pressure from sole of shoe on the ball of foot, sole of shoe to little support if using cleats / no insole.
Numb feet, all of above.
Ball of foot directly over the pedal spindle, move foot forward by moving cleats back (10 - 12m shoe size 9 -10) prevents instability in the foot.

Natural Ankling has zilch to do with consciously forcing the foot (bending at ankle inducing toe dip and heel drop) its done subconsciously.
Edited for clarity.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 17 Feb 2015, 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thank you. That's helpful
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It could be socks too tight, as well? My calves are pretty big, and if I just buy any cheap socks that fit my feet, normally, they are too small around the bottom of my calves.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom