Replenishing calories

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Replenishing calories

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On these thin v fat programs tv, the thin people gain appetite once their food is more balanced (balanced is just normal junk not health freaks).

People who lack body weight (Muscle) and exercise and eat food with little protein cant put on weight.
Unlike some who find it hard to put on weight, most of us struggle to lose weight.
If you happen to be a bit of a "health freak" only eating the bare minimum to maintain you're present weight, your diet might just be too little total kcals but also lacking in protein to put on weight.
Its easy to get into a habit of eating too much but just as easy to eat to little.
Eating too little with time kills your appetite.
I am not a believer in a very strict diet, good fads can also be bad fads, where you simply get used to eating only certain foods.
In time your health would suffer if you were to stay borderline nutrition.

As the OP says they put on weight when touring so I don't think this is the case there.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:But do you want or need to put on weight :?:
You wouldn't go cycle touring if you were lacking energy.

From what the OP says later, it appears that (Vorpal) suggests that after exercise your body will still keep at high metabolism, I agree.
Eating Junk - pizza chips fryup's gooey puddings cheese burgers etc. Would fill this void better or eat more of your norm after exercise.
Your the man with no fat and lose weight after a tour, who's hungry.
And you are going to say YUCK.........................eating more often in exercise and relaxing your grip on your preferred foods is not bad if its only done when exercising, but eating more must be the answer.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ChrisF

Re: Replenishing calories

Post by ChrisF »

The thread seems to be veering away from my original question, but it does seem to be 'normal' to take up to a week to replenish, so that's OK. I'm not unduly worried by my low BMI but it seems from answers here that maybe I should steer my intake a little more towards protein and away from carbs, to ensure that any weight gain (if I do achieve it) is useful muscle.
Chris F, Cornwall