A cautionary Tale-recommending sun block

Vorpal

Re: A cautionary Tale-recommending sun block

Post by Vorpal »

Studies on vitamin D have had mixed results. The studies that produce the most consistent result show that the vitamin D in supplement to take is vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol. This is the natural form of vitamin D that your body makes from sunlight. Some studies also show that vitamin D2 works as well as vitamin D3.

In Norway, the national health service tell us that 15 - 20 minutes per day of sun on our arms and face from April - September, and at least a half hour in winter, is enough. But they still recommend taking suplements containing D3 year round. Cod liver oil is still taken by many people here.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If one wears long sleeves, two layers, floppy hat, may one do without suncream?

It depends on the SPF protection equivalence of the sleeves. Some cycling tops now offer very little protection and sunblock is still advised. I think there's a pic of a spotted sunburned Froome around from an early-season outing in South Africa where he didn't sunblock under that year's new even-thinner kit a few years ago.

And I still sunblock my fingers, nose and chin at the very least, even under a big hat.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyclists get a great deal of secondary sunlight reflected from the road surface. I've been sunburned from road reflection more than once.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom