Chest pain

Elizabethsdad

Chest pain

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I tripped over while walking just over a week ago and hit my chest on a solid object on the ground. I was briefly winded and then just felt bruised and achey. There is some bruising but not much to really notice - my wife hasn't. However the discomfort doesn't seem to be going away and certain movements cause me real pain. Starting to wonder if I should get it checked out - not that I think there is much that can be done if say I have cracked a rib. So how many votes for 'get it checked' and how many for 'Suck it up wimpy boy'?
gaz

Re: Chest pain

Post by gaz »

Get it checked, doesn't matter how the vote goes :roll: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

I did the same a few years ago. I was sure I had cracked one or more ribs. Very uncomfortable. I just waited for it to mend itself, which it did after about 5 weeks. But I'm like that. Getting it checked does not make you a wuss, so if in doubt get an expert opinion.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think that without knowing the details of the injury and pain and without the knowledge your doctor would have nobody can reliably say what it might be and thus can't pass informed comment.

It's a problem with online forums. Where your health is concerned would you really take advice from unknown, unqualified people working from a couple of sentences describing the problem ?

Maybe try NHS 111 service. They used to be OK, then when it was privatised they became totally useless. Papers (or maybe politicians) claim they have improved. I suspect as soon as you mention "Chest Pain" they will send you to A&E. I had some very very minor chest pain sometime ago; I thought just an infection that would not clear so I called my Dr and spoke to him 17:00'ish (on the phone) and, despite a 2 week waiting list for an appointment, I was in the surgery having an ECG and seeing the Dr by midday the next day and I knew it was nothing serious. but nobody would listen (to me).

Ian
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Get it checked. Probably 0 wrong,and by the time you see the doc mighta disappeared. You've paid your subs(you're concerned). If it is 0 you'll be relieved and know betterif there's a next time.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

If it's a cracked rib be prepared for up to six weeks before complete resolution. (Physio talk.) If, as is more probable, it's a disrupted sterno-costal or sterno-manubrial joint (I warned you about the physio talk, didn't I? :roll: ) I fear it could be six months or more before you stop getting an occasional twinge with a deep breath or a sudden twist. In either case is there's not much to be done about it except standard pain medication. (Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth we used to tape the chest for rib fractures, but this provided quick relief at the price of slowed healing and sometimes minor lung collapse, so it's fallen from favour here in North America.)

But get it checked because there are a couple of rare problems that really are problems.

If you find you're getting unexpectedly short of breath get it checked NOW.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Doc first, forum second. Pride in not being a wuss last. You can always be tough later :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Al Wright

Post by Al Wright »

Its best to get medical advice.

I took a heavy fall year before last, and had severe chest soreness when breathing rather than continuous pain, except that coughing or sneezing was absolute agony. There seemed to be little improvement after eight days so I called back to GP and explained the situation. His advice was; "take stronger painkillers and put a bit of effort into it. There are two ways to recover;- take it easy and risk getting pneumonia, or get on with your normal routine". His recommendation was to walk up a nearby steep hill three times weekly. ( I should explain that he and I were at school together about 45 years ago, hence the direct approach). As far as I can remember I recovered in about 6 to 8 weeks.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Al Wright wrote:Its best to get medical advice.

I took a heavy fall year before last, and had severe chest soreness when breathing rather than continuous pain, except that coughing or sneezing was absolute agony. There seemed to be little improvement after eight days so I called back to GP and explained the situation. His advice was; "take stronger painkillers and put a bit of effort into it. There are two ways to recover;- take it easy and risk getting pneumonia, or get on with your normal routine". His recommendation was to walk up a nearby steep hill three times weekly. ( I should explain that he and I were at school together about 45 years ago, hence the direct approach). As far as I can remember I recovered in about 6 to 8 weeks.

That is pretty much my situation. I rubbed some Ibuleve gel into the sore areas last light before bed and it seemed that almost any twisting or wriggling motion in bed caused a shooting pain in an upper torso muscle somewhere. Got up this morning and started moving around things seem quite bit easier and less sore/tender. I was all set to go to the minor injuries unit this morning, but now that things seem to be improving I will follow the advice your GP gave you and see how this week goes.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

You've likely damaged one if the small muscles in your torso. Sounds to me like intercostal muscle strain (very small muscle structures between the ribs) if it was broken you'd be in considerably more pain. There's no harm attending your GP surgery, though I doubt it'll need an X-ray. It's an injury which has no specific 'heal' time, though it's unusual for the pain to last more than ten days. If it's still sore after that, then I'd definitely attend your GP. They don't do much for broken ribs nowadays, probably send you home with some pain relief.

Shouldn't you be posting this in Health and Fitness!! ;)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Elizabethsdad wrote:I tripped over while walking just over a week ago and hit my chest on a solid object on the ground.

But were you wearing a h.........? :wink:
Last edited by TonyR on 23 Mar 2015, 8:14am, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

TonyR wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:I tripped over while walking just over a week ago and hit my chest on a solid object on the ground.

But we're you wearing a h.........? :wink:

...ard pair of gloves - or was there a hip flak in your jacket pocket ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

+1 get it checked
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

RogerThat wrote:You've likely damaged one if the small muscles in your torso. Sounds to me like intercostal muscle strain (very small muscle structures between the ribs) if it was broken you'd be in considerably more pain. There's no harm attending your GP surgery, though I doubt it'll need an X-ray. It's an injury which has no specific 'heal' time, though it's unusual for the pain to last more than ten days. If it's still sore after that, then I'd definitely attend your GP. They don't do much for broken ribs nowadays, probably send you home with some pain relief.

Shouldn't you be posting this in Health and Fitness!! ;)

Thanks for everyone who has replied - especially to the above. I didn't really think I had cracked a rib and that muscle damage was more likely. It is feeling better today although sharp movements such as coughing cause shooting pains and the impact point on my sternum is still sore. I will see about a GP appointment later this week or possibly try the local pharmacist first since getting a GP appointment can be a bit difficult.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Hope you feel better soon!