33%
over 30
17%

Total votes: 46

661-Pete

Re: BMI Survey

Post by 661-Pete »

Roger,
I said earlier, that BMI is "not always a reliable indicator". That's a far cry from saying that BMI is 'discredited'. You need to thoroughly back up that sort of claim with professional citations, because it's a very damning remark and could throw a whole lot of people who are desperately trying to combat the adverse effects of overweight, into confusion. Just to say that "many GPs do not believe in BMI" isn't good enough. After all, it's a commonly-heard conception that "many GPs do not believe in clinical depression". Maybe there are some that don't, but of course most of them do - and don't I know it!

The fact remains, that BMI may not be 100% reliable, but for most of us, it's the best yardstick we've got. By analogy: a car speedo is not 100% reliable, but it's the best means we've got of avoiding a speeding fine. So I use my car speedo. I use my BMI. Even if I am over 60. Or to be more truthful, I use the trend change in my body mass to determine whether I'm going the right way or the wrong way. Am I not doing the right thing?

As for scales that tell you your 'body fat' by measuring the impedance, as between one foot and the other - many experts have discredited that piece of gadgetry - as discussed recently on this forum.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

It's my job to research these things.

I refer you to the following for limitations and studies which discredit BMI. These are basic references, I can supply you with upwards of 25 international papers which utterly discredit BMI as 'bad science'.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index
Last edited by Graham on 5 Apr 2015, 11:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Two sentences removed to defuse complaint of belittlement of another poster.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:Clearly, from your previous posts your knowledge of even basic medical science is very limited. That's not your fault, I understand your situation. It's my job to research these things.

You know nothing about me so no need to get insulting. You manner/attitude stinks.

Nobody said it was perfect. Most things have limitations and there are always more complex things that are in some respects better. But when you ask people to start working out their Image, then most people who need to think about their weight probably wont even start. But the NHS is still using it Body mass index (BMI) is a good way to check if you're a healthy weight. (oh, sorry, you know far better than the NHS as we should believe you rather than www.nhs.uk)

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:
RogerThat wrote:Clearly, from your previous posts your knowledge of even basic medical science is very limited. That's not your fault, I understand your situation. It's my job to research these things.

You know nothing about me so no need to get insulting. You manner/attitude stinks.

Ian
I think Roger was answering my post, not yours.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian
I think Roger was answering my post, not yours.

I don't see where he gets the "Clearly, from your previous posts your knowledge of even basic medical science is very limited. That's not your fault, I understand your situation." from what you posted earlier (which made sense to me).

Ian
sjs

Post by sjs »

I refer you to the following for limitations and studies which discredit BMI. These are basic references, I can supply you with upwards of 25 international papers which utterly discredit BMI as 'bad science'.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

Still an amusing and harmless diversion for a wet Saturday on a forum though, eh? So thanks, Psamathe, and glad to see we plump people are in the lead.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Psamathe wrote:

Nobody said it was perfect. Most things have limitations and there are always more complex things that are in some respects better. But when you ask people to start working out their Image, then most people who need to think about their weight probably wont even start. But the NHS is still using it Body mass index (BMI) is a good way to check if you're a healthy weight. (oh, sorry, you know far better than the NHS as we should believe you rather than http://www.nhs.uk)

Ian

Yes, I was indeed answering Pete's post. At least he had the humility to admit he may be in error (as do I), you in the other hand seem unable to take any critique whatsoever. That's a problem you might want to address. All I'm saying is that there is little merit in reinforcing a widely discredeted BMI mantra (which even the NHS admits is 'only a rough guide, not exact science: NHS speak for ' we're getting round to updating the website but can't afford it yet'). I get people every single day come into my office and rattle off some old tosh theyve read on a 'Health forum'.

I think the onus is on all of us to be responsible in the information we impart online, and especially be able to take criticism for it when it's either inaccurate or anachronistic in value, which study after study reveals BMI as an accurate index is.

As for the Fitbit scale, as I said previously it's extremely accurate. I use it daily in my rehab and it's currently being evaluated to roll out to GP surgeries up and down the country. It also has the option to 'mail' your %fat and body mass to your GP on an ongoing basis and very useful in consultations as a result.
Last edited by RogerThat on 3 Apr 2015, 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

RogerThat wrote:
661-Pete wrote:In that case, what would you advise as the alternative? Considering that a set of bathroom scales is the nearest thing to a fat-measuring tool that most of us have ready access to.

I use this at work, and at home for myself. It's £89.99, gives a very accurate body fat analysis and very accurate weight measurement. It's Wifi and Bluetooth enabled, comes with its own android and iPhone app and you can save every single measurement recorded to your laptop, phone or tablet. If you're really serious about your weight control, then for the price of a cheap Brooks saddle it's indispensable. BMI is, in my opinion an anachronistic and perhaps even useless tool in the 21st century. Although the Fitbit will calculate BMI if you read the blurb in the manual it clearly states that % body fat is a vastly superior measurement tool.

Fitbit scale and body fat analysis :

https://baabox.com/fitbit-aria-wifi-sma ... 2wodTiMAJA

Just checking, but you are being sarcastic I take it?

IF no, then how exactly dose a weighing scales work out fat analysis?
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

profpointy wrote:
RogerThat wrote:
661-Pete wrote:In that case, what would you advise as the alternative? Considering that a set of bathroom scales is the nearest thing to a fat-measuring tool that most of us have ready access to.

I use this at work, and at home for myself. It's £89.99, gives a very accurate body fat analysis and very accurate weight measurement. It's Wifi and Bluetooth enabled, comes with its own android and iPhone app and you can save every single measurement recorded to your laptop, phone or tablet. If you're really serious about your weight control, then for the price of a cheap Brooks saddle it's indispensable. BMI is, in my opinion an anachronistic and perhaps even useless tool in the 21st century. Although the Fitbit will calculate BMI if you read the blurb in the manual it clearly states that % body fat is a vastly superior measurement tool.

Fitbit scale and body fat analysis :

https://baabox.com/fitbit-aria-wifi-sma ... 2wodTiMAJA

Just checking, but you are being sarcastic I take it?

IF no, then how exactly dose a weighing scales work out fat analysis?

I refer you to the link posted, you'll find all the information you need there.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Nobody said it was perfect. Most things have limitations and there are always more complex things that are in some respects better. But when you ask people to start working out their Image, then most people who need to think about their weight probably wont even start. But the NHS is still using it Body mass index (BMI) is a good way to check if you're a healthy weight. (oh, sorry, you know far better than the NHS as we should believe you rather than http://www.nhs.uk)

Ian

Yes, I was indeed answering Pete's post. At least he had the humility to admit he may be in error (as do I), you in the other hand seem unable to take any critique whatsoever. That's a problem you might want to address. All I'm saying is that there is little merit in reinforcing a widely discredeted BMI mantra (which even the NHS admits is 'only a rough guide, not exact science: NHS speak for ' we're getting round to updating the website but can't afford it yet'). I get people every single day come into my office and rattle off some old tosh theyve read on a 'Health forum'.

We are so fortunate to have to to speak on behalf of the NHS and to reveal the shortcoming they can't afford to admit. As for my "personal problems "that I might want to address" - you are being unbelievably arrogant and rude. You attitude stinks. Only you can be right. You don't bother to read posts, assume loads of things that are not said, exceptionally critical of people, know better than the NHS, etc. It just beggars belief.

I never said BMI was perfect. Actually I just started a survey about what people's BMI was. It was you that started saying I was dishing out advice to people who want to lose weight (which I was certainly not doing).

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 3 Apr 2015, 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

You're wrong to say 'everyone is using it'. Most GPs I know (that numbers a few hundred, with whom I interact regularly) stopped using BMI and use % fat composition many years ago. We stopped using BMI in local hospitals as a scientific process in 2007, in preference to % fat composition as it is thoroughly inaccurate compared to fat composition measurement. .

Why BMI is inaccurate and misleading :

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I shall be (tactfully) putting some questions to my GP, at my next check-up. These are matters that concern me. That's all I'm going to say.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RogerThat wrote:You're wrong to say 'everyone is using it'. Most GPs I know (that numbers a few hundred, with whom I interact regularly) stopped using BMI and use % fat composition many years ago. We stopped using BMI in local hospitals as a scientific process in 2007, in preference to % fat composition as it is thoroughly inaccurate compared to fat composition measurement. .

Why BMI is inaccurate and misleading :

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php

"Everyone" is a phrase, not to interpreted literally. I suspect you are deliberately misreading my posts. Certainly my own GP surgery is using BMI ('cos they calculated mine last summer). NHS web site still uses it. Loads of government/NHS/Nice guidelines still use it. It serves a purpose. It may not be fabulously accurate, but little is without expensive investigations and tests.

All I did was start an innocent poll and I get these personal insults, etc. because somebody does not like use of a widespread indicator. Beggars belief.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:Bear in mind that BMI is not always a reliable indicator, especially for people over 60 (which includes a lot of folks on this forum). And it should not be used for children.

am interested in that ( anything that will mean I am not over weight ) have u any ref for the over 60's thing?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Tory graph published this, which modifies bmi somewhat. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... w-BMI.html

You might find that it is advantageous if you have a high bmi. The Oxford lot are the governments weight loss gurus.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......