Kick Boxer low fat, low sugar regime for Weight Loss

RogerThat

Kick Boxer low fat, low sugar regime for Weight Loss

Post by RogerThat »

I have a colleague who's been studying and using (in controlled trials) this eastern European regime which is popular for weight control amongst elite Kick Boxers, allegedly it was developed in the Russian army and made its way east as kick boxing was a part sport in the army. It's very simple and requires only a set of scales, will power and an ability to eat boring food for 1 month. Average weight loss over a four week period for a review group of 21 over weight subjects: 1st 3lbs. Compared to a traditional low fat or low calorie diet it's roughly 60% more effective for safe weight loss. It provides enough calories to get you through the day, and a good caloric deficit but importantly is high in protein which will alleviate any muscle deteriorating effects normally associated with athletes when restricting calories. Ideal for active cyclists with large muscle mass. The subjects all participated at least 4.5hrs cardiovascular and strength training work outs per week.

I don't have the exact food proportions or science of it, as my colleague has not yet published but it's roughly the following:

Lunch/Dinner: a weighed amount of rice, chicken and as much boiled/steamed vegetables as you want. Not to exceed 1500 Cals per day. Lunch should be no more than 40% of dinner in weight/calories.

Breakfast: low fat yogurt or banana or porridge. Black coffee or black tea, no other dairy products than yoghurt. Only water, zero calorie drinks and preferably water rich fruit for fluids. No eating after 6pm in the evening except what vegetables to might have left over.

That's it, in a nutshell. It's boring, but you can spice it up by alternating a myriad of vegetables. You don't get owt, for owt!
Last edited by RogerThat on 15 Apr 2015, 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerThat

Re: Kick Boxer low fat, low sugar regime

Post by RogerThat »

Just did a quick calculation on the computer at work:

Basically it's about 400gr of boiled long grain rice, 300gr of chicken, 1 yogurt AND 1 piece of fruit, and up to 300gr of vegetables (cooked or raw). This should provide relatively full looking lunch/dinner plates and still be under 1500 Cals.
Littgull

Re: Kick Boxer low fat, low sugar regime for Weight Loss

Post by Littgull »

RogerThat.

I'm still puzzled as to how a busy Medical Practitioner manages to get any work done with the sheer volume of your forum postings?
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I work hard, play hard. It's how I'm built. I'm still puzzled as to why you're still puzzled?

And I'm genuinely interested in dissembling the often erroneous and dated health information bandied about on internet forums as 'the truth'.

Roger That?
PH

Post by PH »

RogerThat wrote: as much boiled/steamed vegetables as you want. Not to exceed 1500 Cals per day.

That bit looked good

up to 300gr of vegetables

That bit a lot less so.
I don't get why it's so boring, surely there are alternatives to both chicken and rice that offer the same. I don't think it would be hard to offer a 1500 cal a day diet with a similar mix of protein and carbs and have a different meal for each day of the week. The only essential ingredient for any of these meals is the willpower, and having the same everyday is going to test that. Maybe that’s a plus for a Russian kick boxing soldier, but not for most of us.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

300gr of the average vegetable is roughly 100-150Cals. Obviously you could eat more, but to reduce our caloric intake (which most regimes demand) you'd have to reduce your consumption of rice and chicken accordingly. The aim of this diet is to restrict the fat component to 7-15gr per day and get most of the carbohydrates from a slow release mechanism like boiled rice.

No diet is easy ;)
PH

Post by PH »

RogerThat wrote: The aim of this diet is to restrict the fat component to 7-15gr per day and get most of the carbohydrates from a slow release mechanism like boiled rice.

Yes I get that, but is chicken and rice every day the only way to achieve it?
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I didn't design the regime, it's apparently been successful in the Russian army for 50 years. I think the beauty of it is it's simplicity and the fact you don't have to commit to it for months on end to see results.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

RogerThat wrote:Lunch/Dinner: a weighed amount of rice, chicken and as much boiled/steamed vegetables as you want. Not to exceed 1500 Cals per day. Lunch should be no more than 40% of dinner in weight/calories.
So where do vegetarians come into all this? Or pescetarians like myself?

RogerThat wrote:No eating after 6pm in the evening except what vegetables to might have left over.
And where do those folks who don't get home from work until after 6pm, expecting dinner, come into all this?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That more or less follows the diet I lost 48lbs with using MyFitnessPal. I totally endorse Rogers preoccupation with weight control, its so important. I was in a hospital this morning concerning my shoulder injury. It was noticeable that there was a huge number of grossly overweight patients about which says it all. Keep posting...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Lots of things like medication, illness, disability etc can cause excess weight. Also you don't know if any of these people have lost weight.

It's cruel to judge people by what they look like.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
700c

Post by 700c »

RogerThat, It would be really interesting for a pro such as yourself to put together a few different menus - maybe 7, a weeks worth...that are [a] good for you and [b] not mega expensive. Then a bunch of us (assuming there is interest) could test them for 28 days and post the results...
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

700c wrote:RogerThat, It would be really interesting for a pro such as yourself to put together a few different menus - maybe 7, a weeks worth...that are [a] good for you and [b] not mega expensive. Then a bunch of us (assuming there is interest) could test them for 28 days and post the results...

I would consider it if there was sufficient interest, but so far it appears people are happier doing their own thing. Fair play.
plodderpaul

Post by plodderpaul »

good idea that 700c, i would be willing to give it a good go, probably be a good student to test something out on seen as i have a few stone to lose even more so now i am in process of changing job's to get a grip on my fitness, after all it is not just your hobby that your health dictates how you are
Neil Mc Ivor

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

Diet of the 60's and 70's
I grew up during the 60's and 70's and remember very few overweight people either children or adults.
Apart from the calorie intake of the "Russian Army" diet the frequency of eating was simmilar.
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (or where I came from Breakfast, Dinner and Tea). With almost no eating between meals and occasionally after the evening meal (Dinner / Tea) a light supper.
As long as the meals are reasonably balanced I don't see any need have anything other than normal food or to reduce any particular food group (Carbohydrates including sugar or Fats) as the reduction is made by not eating between meals.
The other factor is physical activity; there was more walking and physical activity then; even before including recreational physical activity.
Less food + More physical activity = leaner people.