stiff neck

ChrisButch

stiff neck

Post by ChrisButch »

I've suddenly been struck with a painfully stiff neck when cycling. No obvious cause for this - no change in very long-established riding position, no injury, no recent back problems. It disappears as soon as I get off the bike. Anybody else encountered this? Any ideas about possible cause, solutions?
Vorpal

Re: stiff neck

Post by Vorpal »

I've had something like this a couple of times. Both times it happened in the spring, and I had ridden a little farther than I was accustomed to. I just put it down to that. A couple of massages sorted it both times. If it doesn't clear up a few days, though see your GP.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Maybe you are holding your head differently? Holding it higher?

Happened to me and it took me a while to suss it out.
I started wearing my varifocals when riding and needed to hold my head up higher to keep the distance in focus. I bought proper cycling glasses and all is well now.
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

It's holding the head up which triggers the problem - looking forward while riding on the hoods. I'm constantly having to sit up hands-off to ease the strain. I'm reluctant to change a long-familiar (and hitherto always comfortable) riding position unless I have to.
nez

Post by nez »

If it's just a one off ibuprofen gel helps
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Usually find a sore neck is a result of position change. Have your bars/saddle/ stem moved recently? I got a sore neck after a brifter moved c. 8mm down the bars on one side. Not really noticeable visibly but enough to hurt like hell!! Also had similar after fitting new bar tape and stupidly loosening the bars which moved out of position a few degrees.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

ChrisButch wrote:I've suddenly been struck with a painfully stiff neck when cycling. No obvious cause for this - no change in very long-established riding position, no injury, no recent back problems. It disappears as soon as I get off the bike. Anybody else encountered this? Any ideas about possible cause, solutions?

If you wear a helmet, have you recently got a different one? If you have, maybe if you have a leaning forward 'road bike' position and the design of the helmet is different you are bending your neck back further to give a good view of the road. I found that, so removed the visor (my previous helmet didn't have one), and remembered to stretch my neck down every now and again and all was well.
Just a thought.