Pernicious Anaemia VitB12D Anyone Help?

Moss

Pernicious Anaemia VitB12D Anyone Help?

Post by Moss »

Hi All,
Does anyone suffer with Pernicious Anaemia VitB12 Deficiency ? I've been diagnosed with this; and need to go on VitB12 injections for the rest of my life. My cycling has taken a nose-dive in the last 12, month or so; some days I can hardly walk and my energy levels are at rock bottom. I'll probably begin the B12 injections sometime this coming week. Anyone experience this debilitating illness ?? I long to get out on the bike and get some kind of fitness again.

If you have PA, I'd like to hear how you manage it..
Neil Mc Ivor

Re: Pernicious Anaemia VitB12D Anyone Help?

Post by Neil Mc Ivor »

I started having symptoms in 1999.
When walking uphill I was getting breathless and my heart was racing.
In 2005 the symptoms got worse climbing stairs left me breathless, heart racing (palpatations) and legs like lead, exhausted but not tired.
By the time I went to the doctor in 2009 all the above and cycling even the slightest incline was starting to defeat me. Climbing the stairs to go bed left me having to recover for about half an hour before I could sleep.
I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia in 2009
The immediate treatment for me was a transfusion of two units of blood and Ferrous Sulphate (Iron) tablets. The blood transfusion would have immediate effect. Iron only, would have taken about five days to start being effective. Other tests did not find a cause for the anaemia eg. internal blood loss.
Ongoing treatment Ferrous Sulphate tablets when the haemoglobin level is low, and regular blood tests from an original haemoglobin level of 4.4 back to a normal level of around 16 within 9 months. Remained around 16 for about five years then dipped to 10.1 so back on iron. Haemoglobin level returned to 15.9 within three months.
I am not a vegetarian and ironically have always had an Iron rich diet because I like the foods.
Vitamin B12 injections or supplements have never been suggested to me.
For me the treatment following the blood transfusion has only been Ferrous Sulphate tablets.
Within a few months of being diagnosed I was walking, cycling and climbing the stairs again with no problems.
If I know I am going to take part in a strenuous activity I take Iron for about a week before to maintain the levels.
Moss

Re: Pernicious Anaemia VitB12D Anyone Help?

Post by Moss »

Thanks for the reply Neil, I really appreciate you sharing your experience of B12 D.

I'm experiencing a lot of the symptoms you describe; and some you didn't get, although I don't think i've got to the severity of your illness? I'm not feeling great; and my energy level is dreadful (I don't wan't to do anything) legs like lead (as you described) hips aching and experiencing some breathlessness, some occasional dizziness and that awful De-ja-vu feeling. I also feel very weak at times and wan't to sleep; headaches come and go; but the tiredness is constant.

I've just managed to get another appointment with my GP for next Tuesday. I'm hoping that goes a bit better than my last visit.