Beware the (latest) ALDI Cycling Shorts

Graham

Beware the (latest) ALDI Cycling Shorts

Post by Graham »

I wore these about three times, from new, without washing them . . . which is completely normal for me.

After the third ride I noticed that there was a pronounced and painful rash on my skin at the point-of-contact under the sit bones.

This unusual episode caused me to read the label rather more carefully.

The DOLOMITI seat pad " . . contains BIOCIDES. Active ingredient ZINC PYRITIONE."

This reminded me of the reports about chinese manufactured furniture which burned and blistered the new owners - a few years ago now.

Anyhow it looks like I'm going to have to be rather cautious with these latest [Aldi] lycra shorts.

EDIT : Correction I bought these at Aldi NOT Lidl.
Last edited by Graham on 21 May 2015, 8:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: purchased at Aldi
Psamathe

Re: Beware the (latest) Aldi Cycling Shorts

Post by Psamathe »

Graham wrote:...
This reminded me of the reports about chinese manufactured furniture which burned and blistered the new owners - a few years ago now.

And when they started putting melamine in dog food - which "distorted" the protein level tests ... and killed dogs.
And they they started doing the same with baby milk - which had the same tragic effect
And then they started recalling toothpaste that had been shipped to the west ('cos it tested positive for diethylene glycol a component of anti-freeze).

What a world we live in.

Ian
Audax67

Re: Beware the (latest) ALDI Cycling Shorts

Post by Audax67 »

It does say "contains biocides", and we're biological after all...
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Audax67 wrote:It does say "contains biocides", and we're biological after all...

It's one of those weird things - how different substances affect different species. I always think that when penicillin was "discovered" it was a good job they didn't test it on hamsters or we may not have antibiotics today (hamsters die if given penicillin so try initial tests on a hamster and it's unlikely to every get tested further let alone given to a human).

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So Im lucky that I don't normally go commando but I have at one time.
As like most I wear them new then wash and I don't normally wash until I have worn they three days running.
That's short rides not all day.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Audax67 wrote:It does say "contains biocides", and we're biological after all...

sponsored by the motor car industry I think to kill off those pesky cyclists who should not be on the road?
Ray

Post by Ray »

I wore mine once before washing, and have since washed them after each ride, as I always do. No nasty skin reaction to the pad, nor to the silicone(?) leg grippers, which have caused red patches with other shorts.

I should perhaps add that I never use detergent, preferring 'eco' wash balls (I got the latest one from 'Lakeland') and have had no problems over many years.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I once used an insect repellent (contained in a sun cream factor 20 SPF with an ultra rating for the other UV type) from nikwax called nosquitostop or something similar. It caused a series of swellings all over the skin. At first I thought it was insect bites (got me worried I had an infestation of bed bugs or fleas or something nasty), so I used more of the repellent (this time the pure stuff not the stuff in the sun cream). It got worse so I used more. I took cold showers which seemed to ease the itchiness and discomfort then put more on. After a 4 day cycle or spiral down to a full body wide series of little swellings (some got big enough to only just be covered by a hand) I suddenly had a realization the repellent was causing it. I stopped using it and took another cold shower. I also went to the doctors who said just use anti-histamines (2 one a day 10mg loratidine tablets, i.e. double dose split by 12 hours). After 2 weeks these went. Came back 4 months later but I sorted it the same way.

It was Urticaria or hives caused by the repellent I think, unproven. However I have noticed nikwax no longer makes repellents these days. I only mentioned this because there are probably many cases of a responsible retailer/manufacturer releasing stuff that harms and is later recalled or just dropped without a fuss.

As far as biocides go there are probably a few that is being used without issue. Isn't the silver in sports underwear to prevent pong a type of biocide? No issue with that and IIRC copper has been developed too along similar lines. Perhaps they picked the wrong treatment or there was a reaction during manufacturing that changed the formulation slightly, i don't know but perhaps report to aldi and get your money back. At least Aldi seems to recall stuff and at the very least seem to be a decent retailer for returning stuff. I've seen a lot of stuff like George Foreman grills being returned after use without any issues for the customer. Kind of impressed me with their service. Plus one of the few retailers I have seen to place product recall notices prominently in the window or on the doors where you go in.

I hope you can return it at least and get over the rash. I find germalene to be very good at numbing itchy rashes from a bad reaction to something. Washing powder for clothes is something that gets me so I keep a tube of it in stock just in case.