Statins - side effects

mjr

Re: Statins - side effects

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Mine don't seem to vary, but I've forgotten what dry and warm is like. It's been wet/damp/windy/horrible since late September last year. I don't believe we've had 24hrs of dry since then, and if we have, we've not had consecutive ones. Managed a ride this morning and Mrs Mick F got the washing out, but by 14:30 it was drizzling. Probably rain overnight.

I guess this time I'm fortunate to live on the drier coast, despite the hosepipe bans and water worries.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just had my 100th Repatha injection.
One injection every other Friday.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Just had my 100th Repatha injection.
One injection every other Friday.

I'm still taking my tablets, over 20 years now.

Got my shingles injection yesterday. Your turn will come, Mick.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm now off Praluent after my forearms became bloody weeping messes. Watch out for "nummular eczema" which is listed among the side effects but I failed to spot early because I'd never had it before and didn't realise how bad it would get.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

After my blood was checked everything was found to be fine except my cholesterol which was high. I was offered statins by the GP, which I refused. Turns out the reading was high because I was dehydrated which also showed up in the results but the GP over looked.

I would surmise that many cyclists' are in a state of dehydration quite often and should be aware of this before getting their cholesterol checked. I think statins are insidious and a last resort at best.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

windmiller wrote:Turns out the reading was high because I was dehydrated which also showed up in the results but the GP over looked.

How do you know that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

Lab Tests Online UK
https://labtestsonline.org.uk
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Jdsk wrote:
windmiller wrote:Turns out the reading was high because I was dehydrated which also showed up in the results but the GP over looked.

How do you know that, please?

Thanks

Jonathan

Lab Tests Online UK
https://labtestsonline.org.uk

I was literally sweating like a hog after hard 15 mile ride to the surgery before the first check. I made the the journey by car for the second check so was in a relaxed state. Another GP compared the results and my lower Cholesterol readings on the second test and confirmed the dehydration.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Plasma total cholesterol typically has a within-individual coefficient of variation of about 5 to 10%. That's considerably larger than the effect of mild dehydration. Unidentified variation in hydration is included in the first figure.

It would probably be statistically impossible to distinguish between the two from only two analyses.

(Of course this variation is a major problem when the guidelines have strict thresholds for classification, risk assessment or offering treatment.)

Jonathan

PS: Anyone who could invent a convenient spot test for dehydration would be doing a great clinical service, and might make a fortune if they were so inclined.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

The GP could tell from my different kidney results that I was dehydrated. Inbetween tests I changed neither diet or lifestyle. The only change was my hydration status, so to me it's a no brainer.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote:Plasma total cholesterol typically has a within-individual coefficient of variation of about 5 to 10%. That's considerably larger than the effect of mild dehydration. Unidentified variation in hydration is included in the first figure.

It would probably be statistically impossible to distinguish between the two from only two analyses.

(Of course this variation is a major problem when the guidelines have strict thresholds for classification, risk assessment or offering treatment.)

Jonathan

PS: Anyone who could invent a convenient spot test for dehydration would be doing a great clinical service, and might make a fortune if they were so inclined.

There is one. The small amount of urine you produce is very yellow.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

windmiller wrote:The GP could tell from my different kidney results that I was dehydrated. Inbetween tests I changed neither diet or lifestyle. The only change was my hydration status, so to me it's a no brainer.

Do you know which tests?

How can you be sure that the changes were due to dehydration rather than random change?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:PS: Anyone who could invent a convenient spot test for dehydration would be doing a great clinical service, and might make a fortune if they were so inclined.

Volume does carry information. But timed urine collections are extremely unreliable in clinical practice, and nowhere near "convenient".

Unfortunately there isn't any good evidence for use of colour. See for example:
Mythbusting sports and exercise products
https://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4848
This does surprise people. But remember that clinical investigations are often used between individual rather than within individual, and that many of the patients in whom you're interested might have renal problems that interfere with concentrating ability, the function that produces that change of colour.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On dehydration-
I was admitted to hospital after my resting HR went above 150, normally it would always be below 50 and down to low 40's.
Woke up feeling really rough in the night (two days after a long hard day ride, felt bad at the start) could not even sit in the chair without collapsing, temp was up.
Wafted in and out of really rough to virtual collapse.
Went to er and was seen quite quickly, doctor admitted me within minutes.
After an ecg I was in a what can be described as a infection ward?
On a drip and within 24 hrs going home.
Consultant said most probable dehydration due to a virus, the raised HR is due to dehydration.

After my ride a few days earlier I ate and drank freely and no urine bad color etc, I knew I was not perfect during the ride and after but I put that down to a bad day.

On anticolesterol, I have been through most of the statins and am now on Ezetimibe.(non statin).....................just the other day I tracked down a US site which says that the med can cause a rash which I have had, muscle cramps well I feel awful all the time worst when I relax , joint pain unlike anything or similar to statins, itching lower legs and red rash, endurance has gone from 250 miles in a day to struggling to stay on bike after 100, then I get off and collapse for half an hour, and cant even cycle up any hill to get a few miles home.

Its GP on monday as I am well fed up :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
On dehydration-
I was admitted to hospital after my resting HR went above 150, normally it would always be below 50 and down to low 40's.
Woke up feeling really rough in the night (two days after a long hard day ride, felt bad at the start) could not even sit in the chair without collapsing, temp was up.
Wafted in and out of really rough to virtual collapse.
Went to er and was seen quite quickly, doctor admitted me within minutes.
After an ecg I was in a what can be described as a infection ward?
On a drip and within 24 hrs going home.
Consultant said most probable dehydration due to a virus, the raised HR is due to dehydration.

After my ride a few days earlier I ate and drank freely and no urine bad color etc, I knew I was not perfect during the ride and after but I put that down to a bad day.

On anticolesterol, I have been through most of the statins and am now on Ezetimibe.(non statin).....................just the other day I tracked down a US site which says that the med can cause a rash which I have had, muscle cramps well I feel awful all the time worst when I relax , joint pain unlike anything or similar to statins, itching lower legs and red rash, endurance has gone from 250 miles in a day to struggling to stay on bike after 100, then I get off and collapse for half an hour, and cant even cycle up any hill to get a few miles home.

Its GP on monday as I am well fed up :)

How many hours cycling for 250 miles?
John
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pete75 wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Plasma total cholesterol typically has a within-individual coefficient of variation of about 5 to 10%. That's considerably larger than the effect of mild dehydration. Unidentified variation in hydration is included in the first figure.

Jonathan

+1 - i find this to be a very good indicator of dehydration for me it gets very dark, passing this water can be uncomfortable and this dark urine also tends to pong a bit! A steady intake of fluids over a couple of hours will usually have things back to a reasonable 'straw' colour and for me this goes hand in hand with post ride cramp. This time of year another indicator is the amount of salts encrusting my fizog after a ride, a white scum over most of my head means i need to get the liquids and some replacement salts on board asap tp prevent later cramp.

All lessons i've learnt over the years from experience, it might seem pretty obvious but sometimes too much reliance on science can have professionals not believing real world experience because 'the book' says something different. Whether its statins or post ride dehydration, the patient will not (well most of the time) be making it up! :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!