EPO - Catch Me If You Can BBC Panorama

NATURAL ANKLING

EPO - Catch Me If You Can BBC Panorama

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... if-you-can
Just watching and its remarkable that its so easy to cheat the passport.

A journalist took it and the results were VO2 max 58 to 63 after 3 weeks and (what I assume is average) Max power 350 - after 375 watts :o
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max

"VO2 max levels[edit]
“Maximal oxygen uptake (VO2 max) is widely accepted as the single best measure of cardiovascular fitness and maximal aerobic power. Absolute values of VO2 max are typically 40-60% higher in men than in women.”[7]
The average untrained healthy male will have a VO2 max of approximately 35–40 mL/(kg·min).[8][9] The average untrained healthy female will score a VO2 max of approximately 27–31 mL/(kg·min).[8] These scores can improve with training and decrease with age, though the degree of trainability also varies very widely: conditioning may double VO2 max in some individuals, and will never improve it in others. In one study, 10% of participants showed no benefit after completing a 20-week conditioning program, although the other 90% of the test subjects all showed substantial improvements in fitness to varying degree.[10][11]
In sports where endurance is an important component in performance, such as cycling, rowing, cross-country skiing, swimming and running, world-class athletes typically have high VO2 maxima. Elite male runners can consume up to 85 mL/(kg·min), and female elite runners can consume about 77 mL/(kg·min).[12] Five time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain is reported to have had a VO2 max of 88.0 at his peak, while cross-country skier Bjørn Dæhlie measured at 96 mL/(kg·min).[13] Dæhlie's result was achieved out of season, and physiologist Erlend Hem who was responsible for the testing stated that he would not discount the possibility of the skier passing 100 mL/(kg·min) at his absolute peak. Norwegian cyclist Oskar Svendsen is thought to have recorded the highest VO2 max of 97.5 mL/(kg·min), a "sensational" value in itself, made more remarkable by his young age (18 years old at the time).[14] To put this into perspective, thoroughbred horses have a VO2 max of around 180 mL/(kg·min). Siberian dogs running in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race have VO2 values as high as 240 mL/(kg·min).[15]
The highest values in absolute terms for humans are often found in rowers, as their much greater bulk makes up for a slightly lower VO2 max per kg. Elite oarsmen measured in 1984 had VO2 max values of 6.1±0.6 L/min and oarswomen 4.1±0.4 L/min.[16] Rowers are interested in both absolute values of VO2 max and in lung capacity, and the fact that they are measured in similar units means that the two are often confused. British rower Sir Matthew Pinsent is variously reported to have had a VO2 of 7.5l/min[17] or 8.5l/min, although the latter may represent confusion with his lung capacity of 8.5 litres.[18] New Zealand sculler Rob Waddell has one of the highest absolute VO2 max levels ever tested.[19]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human-powered_transport
"Available muscle power[edit]
Road cyclist
In the 1989 Race Across America, one team (Team Strawberry) [1] used an experimental device that consisted of a rear wheel hub, a sensor and a handlebar mounted processor. The device measured each cyclist's power output in watts. In lab experiments an average "in-shape" cyclist can produce about 3 watts/kg for more than an hour (e.g., around 200 watts for a 70 kg (154 lb) rider), with top amateurs producing 5 watts/kg and elite athletes achieving 6 watts/kg for similar lengths of time. Elite track sprint cyclists are able to attain an instantaneous maximum output of around 2,000 watts, or in excess of 25 watts/kg; elite road cyclists may produce 1,600 to 1,700 watts as an instantaneous maximum in their burst to the finish line at the end of a five-hour-long road race."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mark1978

Re: EPO - Catch Me If You Can BBC Panorama

Post by Mark1978 »

The UK anti doping person was on the radio this morning saying that yes, while he got away with it, anyone doing it long term would be found out, even if it's through intercepting the supply etc. I wasn't entirely convinced but I'm not in a position to disagree either.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
In my first post I Said -
"A journalist took it and the results were VO2 max 58 to 63 after 3 weeks and (what I assume is average) Max power 350 - after 375 watts"

It was actually a period of seven weeks not the three above.
I am still assuming that's average watt ouput over say one hour.

350 to 375 watts puts you from being half normal to noticeable for sure.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think Mo's association With Salazar will need to end for sure.
Even Alan Wells (1980 Olympics 100M Gold) is under suspicion

Coe's backing Salazar.................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33063187

"Britain's Farah, 32, has been advised to distance himself from Salazar and his US-based Nike Oregon Project."

Who wouldn't.............
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well Mo's not on the list of suspect atheletes who have more likely been cheating, acordind to evidence of blood tests, but there again if you missed tests then your OK..................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/3374920

"Leaked IAAF doping files: Wada 'very alarmed' by allegations
The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) says it is "very alarmed" after fresh allegations of suspected doping emerged in a leak of test data.

The Sunday Times and German broadcaster ARD/WDR have obtained access to the results of 12,000 blood tests from 5,000 athletes between 2001 and 2012.

According to the newspaper, the evidence - which has been seen by the BBC - reveals the "extraordinary extent of cheating" by athletes at the world's biggest events."
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I heard Coe on the radio about it on Wednesday, clearly hopping mad.
I'm afraid at the end of the interview, though I could understand what he was saying and it did seem plausible, I still felt I didn't know enough to know either way who was more likely to be right.
It's such a mess, isn't it?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Coe is a vice president of IAAf and hoping to become president. His defence of the IAAF sounded to me as if he had his election in mind. I was reminded of other sporting bureaucrats including those in cycling.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?