Benefits of cycling very slowly

SoloRider

Benefits of cycling very slowly

Post by SoloRider »

Hi everyone, here's a question I've been pondering for a while.

I often fall into the trap of going as hard as possible when on a ride as though anything less is shameful. Being on Strava doesn't help with this, nor does the fact that my cycling buddies are wannabe racers.

Whilst it can be enjoyable it does have disadvantages such as needing days off before being able to ride again and the feeling of the next ride being a chore.

So if I were to ride at strolling along pace rather than 10k run pace I would be able to ride every day. But would it still do me any good?

I have a HRM to keep me from getting carried away and some really low gears on one bike so it is doable.

I might have to avoid my mates and Strava though if I'm going to be averaging 9mph!
al_yrpal

Re: Benefits of cycling very slowly

Post by al_yrpal »

Crikey, I never feel like that. I am always gagging to get out on the bike. I absolutely abhore things like Strava, I havent tried it and never will. Going out on a bike should be a pleasure. I ride at my own pace and I am very choosy who I ride with for the very reasons you mention. I cannot stand fitness freaks. Riding to achieve something is alien to me. I ride to enjoy the countryside and to visit interesting places. My relaxed average speed is 10.8 mph on road and about 8 mph off road. My advice is be your own person. I appreciate that others think differently about this subject but refuse to be intimidated into competing, good luck to them, its just not me.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
beardy

Post by beardy »

if I'm going to be averaging 9mph!

I thought you said very slowly.
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

al_yrpal wrote:Crikey, I never feel like that. I am always gagging to get out on the bike. I absolutely abhore things like Strava, I havent tried it and never will. Going out on a bike should be a pleasure. I ride at my own pace and I am very choosy who I ride with for the very reasons you mention. I cannot stand fitness freaks. Riding to achieve something is alien to me. I ride to enjoy the countryside and to visit interesting places. My relaxed average speed is 10.8 mph on road and about 8 mph off road. My advice is be your own person. I appreciate that others think differently about this subject but refuse to be intimidated into competing, good luck to them, its just not me.

Al

Yes I agree with that
SoloRider

Post by SoloRider »

Cheers, I'm in good company here then it seems! Vive le slow. I may go for a walk later as well...
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I'm all in favour of slow food too..... :wink: Just made a sourdough loaf :mrgreen:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
SoloRider

Post by SoloRider »

Sounds great!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

beardy wrote:
if I'm going to be averaging 9mph!

I thought you said very slowly.

Yeah, I find it difficult to distinguish between Greater Stitchwort and Lesser Stitchwort growing in the verge if I'm going as quickly as that.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I wouldn't know my average speed because I haven't looked at it for about 7 years. Saying that it must be about 10mph as I have just done a morning ride of 29.4 miles with a banana stop and it took me 3 hours 4 minutes. I just meander along trying to enjoy all around me.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

Although sometimes I forget to go slowly, such as yesterday when someone in 'all the gear' including Rapha jacket with colour coordinated overshoes passed me.
SoloRider

Post by SoloRider »

I'm going to go back to some DMR V8 pedals and trainers with non-sporty attire and go for a ride later, that's bound to slow me down. If you think about it, what's the rush? This is meant to be relaxation from work after all
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

SoloRider wrote:I'm going to go back to some DMR V8 pedals and trainers with non-sporty attire and go for a ride later, that's bound to slow me down. If you think about it, what's the rush? This is meant to be relaxation from work after all

Yes I scrapped the SPDs a few years ago for Ergons. Cheap Decathlon trainers in winter, sandals for summer tours. Much more comfortable, easy to walk off the bike and best of all, allows me to change foot position regularly on a long tour day.
beardy

Post by beardy »

allows me to change foot position regularly on a long tour day.

Do you like to do that? I like my foot to stay in exactly the same position.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

MickTheCyclist wrote:
SoloRider wrote:I'm going to go back to some DMR V8 pedals and trainers with non-sporty attire and go for a ride later, that's bound to slow me down. If you think about it, what's the rush? This is meant to be relaxation from work after all

Yes I scrapped the SPDs a few years ago for Ergons. Cheap Decathlon trainers in winter, sandals for summer tours. Much more comfortable, easy to walk off the bike and best of all, allows me to change foot position regularly on a long tour day.

Falling off in SPDs is a nightmare, gave them up long ago and instead of padded shorts I often now wear jeans or ordinary shorts which I am finding are more comfy than the padded variety. I dont like looking like a mobile advertisement for bottled gas either. An ordinary loose tee shirt does me very nicely in summer. Sports Directs plain running tees are good for hot and humid days too.

Al
MickTheCyclist

Post by MickTheCyclist »

al_yrpal wrote:
MickTheCyclist wrote:

Falling off in SPDs is a nightmare, gave them up long ago and instead of padded shorts I often now wear jeans or ordinary shorts which I am finding are more comfy than the padded variety. I dont like looking like a mobile advertisement for bottled gas either. An ordinary loose tee shirt does me very nicely in summer. Sports Directs plain running tees are good for hot and humid days too.

Al

I've never used padded shorts. Best shorts I've ever had are my current ones. Picked up 2 pairs of towelling material beach shorts from H&M a few years ago for £10. I wore them on the bike one day as my normal shorts were wet and I've used them ever since. Just those and a B17. All day comfort. I've done about 10.000 miles in them. Don't know what I'll do when they wear out :)
For tee shirts I started using Decathon merino hiking tees. Very pleased so far.