Malaria

ConRAD

Malaria

Post by ConRAD »

I'm planning for upcoming October-November a trip from Fortaleza (Brazil), then North to the Amazon and finally the Guyana's (French, Dutch, British).
According to WHO most of above areas are interested by endemic tropical deseases such as malaria and dengue.
Now I'm not here to ask you which type of profilax to undertake but rather its possible "collateral effects" in relation to cycling every day with high temperatures.
I assume that there are several precautions to adopt and that much will depend also on individual physical overall conditions that at the moment are fairly good.
I'll be 63 by then.
I'll appreciate any type of suggestion.
Thank you.
meic

Re: Malaria

Post by meic »

A previous thread on the subject.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45444&hilit=larium
malaria or side effects, place your bets!

Then you have those who start off taking their medicine and then get a bit forgetful and end up with side effects and malaria.
Yma o Hyd
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Larium, mmm... I took Larium as prescribed when in Kenya 10 years ago. I had panic attacks and strange mood swings. Oh, and I also got malaria. If there is an alternative look at it carefully.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re Malaria: In addition to whatever prophylactics the professionals might advise for the areas you are travelling through (and it is possible they might recommend different drugs for different areas), also remember the malaria carrying mosquitoes tend to bite in the evening and through the night. So take particular precautions against being bitten evenings onwards (through night); as well as whatever pills might be appropriate

Also, often there is not a malaria risk in <insert country here>, but the risks are restricted to particular regions (sometimes quite small/specific regions). However, as you generally have to start taking pills some time before exposure to risk, you cannot go to a country intending to travel in malaria free areas, then hear about how fantastic <insert region here> is only to find it is a malaria risk area and you decided not to start the pills and don't have time to build up levels ...

One thing I'd be investigating is checking now what drugs the professionals would recommend. If there is a choice (i.e. you could take <x> or you could take <y>), then chose now, get some and take then for long enough to see if you experience any nasty side effects. If you do, you can safely stop now and try the other possibilities. Might allow you to travel knowing you wont get side effects (or at least that you are on the pills with the least impact and you'd know what those impacts are for yourself). A thought to discuss with professionals.

(I'm not an expert so am thinking aloud not advising).

Ian